+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Any tips for reducing my image size before cloning? in Technical; I'm just wondering if anyone has any routines they carry out pre sys prepping a machine? My images have crept ...
    Thank Post

Any tips for reducing my image size before cloning?

I'm just wondering if anyone has any routines they carry out pre sys prepping a machine? My images have crept up in size and I really need to clear them up a bit!

For example couldf i remove the windows updates files?

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    (Obvious one) "system cleanup" and select everything

have a look on drives for funny folders like ie. "1901381310301e21ee1" they can go as usually install temp folders.

Windows updates? depends which files, there is various uninstall stuff in the Windows main directory. You could in theory remove this but I dont usually bother.

Parts of windows you dont use (add/remove programs) etc..

Depends on how short of space you are.

I normally do #1 & 2 and run acronis with full compression, or nt backup etc..

TheLibrarian
    Use CCleaner to remove the backups that the various hotfixes make.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,339 Posts
    What are you using to clone them?

WDS reduces image size by removing duplicate files.

Ben

Thank Post
    I boot the maqchines from CD and delete the pagefile, windows will just recreate it when it can't find one....

Delete pagefile.sys from root of C:\ or other drives if you've specified a page file for other volumes

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As well as removing the pagefile, you can also remove hiberfil.sys (if power management is set to allow hibernation) - those 2 files alone are huge - could be 8Gb in total if you have 4Gb of RAM!

Depending on the apps you have, can they be installed to leave part of themselves on a server? for example, the MSDN library (used with Visual Studio) is massive but can be installed so that the content stays on a server - that saves about a gigabyte.

Do people use the office clipart? If not (eg because they use google images etc) then that saves a good chunk of space.

Look at something like treesize - find out which folders are taking up space and focus on those.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    What are you using to clone them?

WDS reduces image size by removing duplicate files.

Ben
    I'm using FOG. It compresses the image but my mega image before compression is 28 Gig!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    I'm using FOG. It compresses the image but my mega image before compression is 28 Gig!
    Yikes, I thought my 12GB image was big!

Thank Post
    Well it is me "Mega" Image. It has every program on it I can find.

Thank Post
    Perhaps you should look into getting more software deployed via GPO? This way, when the machine first sets up onto the domain, software is pulled across. Theoretically all you need is windows and a bunch of drivers, that'll rapidly reduce your image sizes to < 4 gig.

Also, if you're concerned about updates you could look into setting a WSUS server up? Unless you mean to tell me *every* pc in the building needs *every* piece of software installed which makes *every* pc 28gigs+ (even so, bandwidth isn't here nor there if you're throwing 28 gigs around, GPO, fog, or otherwise)

Out of curiosity, what is it you're running around the network that requires 28 gigs worth of apps o_O? thepiratebay.com?
    Last edited by Friez; 17th November 2009 at 09:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Friez View Post
    Perhaps you should look into getting more software deployed via GPO? This way, when the machine first sets up onto the domain, software is pulled across. Theoretically all you need is windows and a bunch of drivers, that'll rapidly reduce your image sizes to < 4 gig.

Also, if you're concerned about updates you could look into setting a WSUS server up? Unless you mean to tell me *every* pc in the building needs *every* piece of software installed which makes *every* pc 28gigs+ (even so, bandwidth isn't here nor there if you're throwing 28 gigs around, GPO, fog, or otherwise)

Out of curiosity, what is it you're running around the network that requires 28 gigs worth of apps o_O? thepiratebay.com?
    you can also use ghost to deploy single bits of software to pcs so i tend to have 1 image per machine type (one i just looked at is <3gb for xpsp3 ie8 updated to whatever date it was created (i also have a non sysprepped image for future updating)etc sysprepped) then msi deploy owt i can then ghost packages for things i cant msi that way it also means when i get a new machine type i dont need to reinstall anything to the image machine (with a few minor exceptions for old cdserver software etc)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    you can also use ghost to deploy single bits of software to pcs so i tend to have 1 image per machine type (one i just looked at is <3gb for xpsp3 ie8 updated to whatever date it was created (i also have a non sysprepped image for future updating)etc sysprepped) then msi deploy owt i can then ghost packages for things i cant msi that way it also means when i get a new machine type i dont need to reinstall anything to the image machine (with a few minor exceptions for old cdserver software etc)
    Why keep both non and syspreped images, you can just keep the sysprep image then when you need to do updates use it and reapply the sysprep to it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Why keep both non and syspreped images, you can just keep the sysprep image then when you need to do updates use it and reapply the sysprep to it.
    because after the 3rd sysprep you cant

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't push out software via images but do it all via GPO.
    I have one universal image which is only a few gig and takes a couple of minutes to apply via FOG, then the machine pulls down all the software that has been assigned to its OU.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Different users obviously have different needs but in general the benefit of putting everything in the image (compared to using GPO software installation or similar) is that you multicast the software which is part of the image compared to unicasting that which is put out later.

If you've got (say) a 2Gb basic image and 5Gb of software and 20 machines in a room then you can either do this as 1 x 7Gb multicast or 1 x 2Gb multicast + 20 x 5Gb unicast which probably takes more time (even if you've got a 10Gbit feed to your local switch that's still only allowing you 500Mbit for each of your 20 clients). The benefit of multicasting is even more dramatic if you can do (say) 50 machines at a time.

There are benefits, though, of keeping the apps separate. If you want to update an app, it's easy to just add the new one to the group policy; no need to redeploy the whole app.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast