+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
O/S Deployment Thread, Any tips for reducing my image size before cloning? in Technical; Turn off windows restore - that frees up a load...

Thank Post
    Turn off windows restore - that frees up a load

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Different users obviously have different needs but in general the benefit of putting everything in the image (compared to using GPO software installation or similar) is that you multicast the software which is part of the image compared to unicasting that which is put out later.

If you've got (say) a 2Gb basic image and 5Gb of software and 20 machines in a room then you can either do this as 1 x 7Gb multicast or 1 x 2Gb multicast + 20 x 5Gb unicast which probably takes more time (even if you've got a 10Gbit feed to your local switch that's still only allowing you 500Mbit for each of your 20 clients). The benefit of multicasting is even more dramatic if you can do (say) 50 machines at a time.

There are benefits, though, of keeping the apps separate. If you want to update an app, it's easy to just add the new one to the group policy; no need to redeploy the whole app.
    Agreed, however, I am skeptical that all machines in his workplace need all software. For instance, we only have cubase installed in our music labs, and only photoshop is available for Art. Maybe he can trim down some image size by moving over some of these into appropriate GPO's?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    because after the 3rd sysprep you cant
    Huh? You can re-sysprep a machine as many times as you want...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Huh? You can re-sysprep a machine as many times as you want...
    i thought after the 3rd attempt it stopped letting you sysprep it anymore so you couldnt get round activation by just sysprepping every 30 days

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    i thought after the 3rd attempt it stopped letting you sysprep it anymore so you couldnt get round activation by just sysprepping every 30 days
    Sysprep is not the same as activation... You can sysprep as many times as you want. You can only activate 3 times.

From the MS site:

Sysprep must be used only to configure new installations of Windows. You can run Sysprep as many times as required to build and to configure your installation of Windows. However, you can reset Windows activation only up to three times. You must not use Sysprep to reconfigure an existing installation of Windows that has already been deployed. Use Sysprep only to configure new installations of Windows.
    What is Sysprep?

Thank Post
    fair enough i stand corrected but i still think its worth having a pre sysprepped image around

Thank Post
    I have to admit I was under the same impression. Is this just a myth?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack0w View Post
    I have to admit I was under the same impression. Is this just a myth?
    Yes. See localzuk's post above

Thank Post
    I'm not convinced that with XP infinite syspreping is a good idea. I use a default image with the basics that every machine receives windows, drivers, couple of system software bits, current windows updates as of when the image was created and CS3 because deploying it by GPO took 3 times longer than including the same data in the image.

I update the image roughly twice a year but in the 3 years I've been working here I've had to start from scratch a couple of times with most of the images because they became "broken" with multiple syspreps. Not the same exact problem each time but one image developed an issue that made it impossible to connect to WMI on any machine based on it. Another one developed a logon issue for users which repeatedly prevented roaming profiles applying. I did allot of hunting to find exactly what was wrong with them but in the end I remade the image from a clean XP SP3 disc and everything was great.

Thank Post
    Sysprep is not the same as activation... You can sysprep as many times as you want. You can only activate 3 times

If you used a VLK copy rather thank trying to activate every build (based on an OEM copy of XP)it would cease to be a problem?

Volume Licence versions of Xp don't need activation, and can be syspreped as often as you like.

HOWEVER, as sysprep occasionally stuffs up your build when running, it would suggest it WAS a good idea to keep a pre-sysprep inage unless you wish to risk a weeks work making your master image?

You can always delete it afterwards?

Steve

Imaging systems since NT4!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have got into the habit of always using a pre-sysprep image anyway.

Basically I have a pre-sysprep image and a post-sysprep image. If I need to update my image, I load up the pre, make the change, update the pre, sysprep and update the post. If that makes sense?!

I know that you can sysprep as many times as you want but I feel more comfortable starting fresh each time.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Volume Licence versions of Xp don't need activation, and can be syspreped as often as you like.
    thats what I do and keep images (ghost or Acronis trueimage) of each mainboard

Might be better ways, but never had time to look at finding the best

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any routines they carry out pre sys prepping a machine? My images have crept up in size and I really need to clear them up a bit!

For example couldf i remove the windows updates files?

I normally clear out:

Windows Temp
    Temporary Internet Files
    User's temp folder
    Windows Updates from C:\Windows ***NOTE: Do NOT delete the folder C:\windows\$hf_mig$ but you CAN delete any folder starting C:\windows\$NtUninstall***

(If you do the above, you cannot uninstall any applied updates!)

net stop wuauserv
    Delete the contents of C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution

The above should save you anywhere between 2 and 6GB if that helps.

EDIT:

Just re-read and didn't realise the OP was from 2009! Also had a chuckle at those of you thinking that 12-28GB is big for an image!

Current image size with compression: 45GB
    Last edited by JPShields; 4th March 2013 at 11:39 AM.

14. Thanks to JPShields from:

zag (4th March 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12