+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, NewSID has been retired in Technical; Mark Russinovich has written an interesting blog about SID duplication and how after discussion with the Windows security and deployment ...
    Thank Post

NewSID has been retired

Mark Russinovich has written an interesting blog about SID duplication and how after discussion with the Windows security and deployment teams no one could come up with a scenario where two systems with the same machine SID, whether in a Workgroup or a Domain, would cause an issue. It's an interesting read.

Mark's Blog : The Machine SID Duplication Myth

Thank Post
    I just skimmed the article so apologies if its been covered but I have had WSUS go mental because of duplicate SIDs and im sure something else did too but I cant remember.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    I just skimmed the article so apologies if its been covered but I have had WSUS go mental because of duplicate SIDs and im sure something else did too but I cant remember.

WSUS is affected by the WSUS ID in the registry not the system SID I've had the same problem.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/athif/pages/66376.aspx

I don't think I'll stop syspreping clients anyway it's just interesting from a security perspective and it's straight from the MS security team.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 6th November 2009 at 04:07 PM.

Thank Post
    It's worth reading through the comments. Several people make the point that although Windows may not rely on having unique machine SIDs, there is other software that does.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Mark Russinovich has written an interesting blog about SID duplication and how after discussion with the Windows security and deployment teams no one could come up with a scenario where two systems with the same machine SID, whether in a Workgroup or a Domain, would cause an issue. It's an interesting read.

Mark's Blog : The Machine SID Duplication Myth
    I can... Classroom of 30 or so computers, all imaged without sysprep/newsid.... Means you can all access each other admin shares and have fun with the shutdown command...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info and followups. I'm sure there are problems on our new domain with duplicate SIDs. Machines baulk straight away.

Thank Post
    Interesting stuff about the difference between domainSID and machineSIDs never knew any of that before now, quite a good read, certainly appears plausable that you shouldn't need to be i think it needs ALOT more testing than what the microsoft security team can do themselves in order to write it off as being a "pointless task"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    I can... Classroom of 30 or so computers, all imaged without sysprep/newsid.... Means you can all access each other admin shares and have fun with the shutdown command...
    Surely that's because you're either logged on as a Domain Admin (and therefore have local Admin rights on all Domain joined machines) or are using a local account which exists on all PCs and has the same password.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton View Post
    Surely that's because you're either logged on as a Domain Admin (and therefore have local Admin rights on all Domain joined machines) or are using a local account which exists on all PCs and has the same password.
    Nope SID magic, we were all using our own accounts and they were no where near domain admin accounts.

Thank Post
    It's worth reading through the comments. Several people make the point that although Windows may not rely on having unique machine SIDs, there is other software that does.
    Absolutely, the article is refering to Windows security only I don't think you can rule out problems with third party software this is why I will continue to sysprep units.

Only if you logon as the local admin or know the local admin password on each station this is because they will have the same SID. If you logon as a domain user which all users will in a domain it has no affect on security.

Thank Post
    Nope SID magic, we were all using our own accounts and they were no where near domain admin accounts.

As all of the machines are identical each additional 'local' account created on each machine will have the same SID so Windows cannot tell them appart this means that identical local accounts will be able to access other clients (if they're admins). This does NOT affect domain accounts only local accounts, as your users shouldn't be logging on as local accounts it doesn't affect security. Also if the passwords are different on each client authentication to another client will fail.

Thank Post
    As all of the machines are identical each additional 'local' account created on each machine will have the same SID so Windows cannot tell them appart this means that identical local accounts will be able to access other clients (if they're admins).
    Not quite. Windows does not need to 'tell them apart' as such. A remote connection will be authenticated by username/password and as long as these match a local user account on the target PC then the connection will succeed. This is nothing to do with machine SIDs. The only time Windows would confuse two accounts based on matching machine SIDs would be in the instance where an ACL was created on a removable device and the device was connected to a second PC with the same machine SID. The second PC would see entries in the ACL as referring to local accounts rather than accounts on a different PC.
    Last edited by ajbritton; 9th November 2009 at 12:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton View Post
    Not quite. Windows does not need to 'tell them apart' as such. A remote connection will be authenticated by username/password and as long as these match a local user account on the target PC then the connection will succeed. This is nothing to do with machine SIDs. The only time Windows would confuse two accounts based on matching machine SIDs would be in the instance where an ACL was created on a removable device and the device was connected to a second PC with the same machine SID. The second PC would see entries in the ACL as referring to local accounts rather than accounts on a different PC.

A remote connection will not be authenticated by username and password it will be authenticated by "user account" SID and password, the username will be translated to a SID the username is for our benefit only (I correct myself that is only for domain accounts). As the user account SID and password will be identical on both machines Windows will not be able to differentiate. You are correct in what you say but the identical SIDs complicates the issue which is where the security problem arrises.

This highlights your point about file security nicely.

http://windowsitpro.com/article/arti...-same-sid.html
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 9th November 2009 at 08:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    A remote connection will not be authenticated by username and password it will be authenticated by "user account" SID and password, the username will be translated to a SID the username is for our benefit only. As the user account SID and password will be identical on both machines Windows will not be able to differentiate.
    Not sure if I am being daft here but if you have

User A with SID 1234
    User B with SID 5678

and 6 computers ( marked 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 ), Assuming Each user was allowed to do multiple logins at the same time and User A logged into computers 1,2 and 3

User A has the same password on each login and the same username ( same username SID ) then how would it be able to differentiate between computers 1, 2 and 3 ?

Same applies to User B reference explanation of User A

Because although the same user is logged into 3 machines ( User A on 1, 2 and 3 and User B on 4,5 and 6 ) if it is using the Usernames SID and the login accounts password then how would it know any different, for all it knows its on the same computer because the username SID and the user accounts password would always be the same ?

Im either missing the point completely and a planes gone over my head or something ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Not sure if I am being daft here but if you have

User A with SID 1234
    User B with SID 5678

and 6 computers ( marked 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 ), Assuming Each user was allowed to do multiple logins at the same time and User A logged into computers 1,2 and 3

User A has the same password on each login and the same username ( same username SID ) then how would it be able to differentiate between computers 1, 2 and 3 ?

Same applies to User B reference explanation of User A

Because although the same user is logged into 3 machines ( User A on 1, 2 and 3 and User B on 4,5 and 6 ) if it is using the Usernames SID and the login accounts password then how would it know any different, for all it knows its on the same computer because the username SID and the user accounts password would always be the same ?

Im either missing the point completely and a planes gone over my head or something ?

It gets worse because you could have different usernames on each PC but with the same SID so as ajbritton says you then have no security

User A with SID 1234
    User B with SID 1234

What are the problems with workstations having the same SID?

Understanding Shared Account Password Management
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m...s.aspx?pr=blog
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 9th November 2009 at 08:39 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast