+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, FOG Documentation in Technical; Well I've decided to try and hold myself to a weekly video on documentation for FOG. So this is hopefully ...
    Thank Post

FOG Documentation

Well I've decided to try and hold myself to a weekly video on documentation for FOG. So this is hopefully the first of many to come.

This week I decided to a video walk though on how to create an Office 2007 snapin using SFX Maker.

Check it out

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzc1Q9NW_cE"]YouTube - Fog Project: Creating a snapin of Office 2007 using SFX Maker[/ame]

I have yet to add audio and or comments to the video (the video is still being processed by youtube, but it will be high quality when finished). Look for a fully updated video with comments by this evening.

There are a TON of benefits to using SFX Maker to create a snapin over say InstallRITE. Most noted is that you use the actual installer to install the program, not a "before and after" comparison and push. This means the software push is compatible on any platform (XP / vista / 7 / etc.)

It also removes some of the headaches seen in the past with InstallRITE and other applications documented.

The big headache with FOG is that it allows only a single file to be uploaded to the server and then deployed out to the client. This is fine for smaller installations (I would say 95% of all installs) but those larger installs such as M$ Office and Adobe are a pain in the @ss. This fixes the issue by compressing and then decompressing the file... plus it auto extracts and launches the file in question with command line switches (very helpful).

I've been wanting to write this how-to guide for awhile, and I'm glad I finally got around to it.

If you have any questions let me know, I'll be happy to assist you further.... and yes I do plan on adding this to the FOG user guide eventually.

Stay frosty!

--ssx--

p.s. please feel free to submit things you wish to have documented and I'll try to add it to my "to do" list. So far I've got about 10 things I want to have video documentation on.

2. Thanks to ssx4life from:

ChrisH (26th October 2009)

Thank Post
    I should have mentioned in the video including the SP2 update in the initial installation. I just ran out of room on the video and didn't want to split it up.

You can download SP2 for office 07 and do an /extract and put the main .msp file in the updates folder as well.

=)
    Last edited by ssx4life; 26th October 2009 at 11:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Great stuff. It's given me a few ideas, keep them coming

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread