+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Windows updates seems to be killing our xp sp3 machines off.... in Technical; After a bit of a long issue with our WSUS server (now running WSUS 3 sp2) we now have patches ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Windows updates seems to be killing our xp sp3 machines off....

After a bit of a long issue with our WSUS server (now running WSUS 3 sp2) we now have patches being deployed correctly.

However, we are finding that some machines are hanging at the xp splash screen after winows updates has pushed out updates. We are not sure which updates are causing this, and for now have turned WSUS off.

The only change we made was to use nlite to add sp3 to the RIS deployment folder. We use a standard build script (no riprep etc).

We could roll back to our sp2 image, or recreate the sp3 one, but it would be good to identify what actually is happening.

Has anyone seen this before?

RobK

t_h
    Thank Post
    The only time I've heard something similar was a problem with HP machines with AMD processors that failed to boot when you applied XP SP3. The issue was down to the fact that they were using an Intel image across the board which XP SP3 didn't like.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t_h View Post
    The only time I've heard something similar was a problem with HP machines with AMD processors that failed to boot when you applied XP SP3. The issue was down to the fact that they were using an Intel image across the board which XP SP3 didn't like.
    Yes I had heard this one. The issue is, that the machines build correctly with SP3 installed, its only when a (currently unknown) later windows update is applied that the problem occurs.

Robk

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Which updates are you allowing? I've got ours set to Security & Critical updates only. Had no problems so far. (crosses fingers).

Pete

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We are only pushing critical and security plus ie7 and silverlight there does seem to be a .net patch that takes a long time to apply but that's not a smoking gun.

Robk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robk View Post
    We are only pushing critical and security plus ie7 and silverlight there does seem to be a .net patch that takes a long time to apply but that's not a smoking gun.

Robk
    If you stop trying to push out silver light does that help at all - just wondering if silver light is causing any issues ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    I've seen something very similar, and I think it's pretty likely that your use of nLite is the root cause here. I've seen a couple of problems in the past with nLite causing problems with the servicing components on XP and Vista. Despite it's usefulness, it's not a tool I recommend using.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I've seen something very similar, and I think it's pretty likely that your use of nLite is the root cause here. I've seen a couple of problems in the past with nLite causing problems with the servicing components on XP and Vista. Despite it's usefulness, it's not a tool I recommend using.
    Seems to be fine when I use it as long as you don't mess around with the drivers / services that are already included on the disc - I normally only use nLite for incorparating drivers ie sata, chipset, NIC into a bootable OS Disc ie xp / vista.

Could be wrong but so far that has worked for me

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread