+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
O/S Deployment Thread, USB Ghost BOOT with common NIC drivers in Technical; If your school happens to be using Server 2003 / 2008 may I suggest that you go with a TFTP ...
    Thank Post
    If your school happens to be using Server 2003 / 2008 may I suggest that you go with a TFTP server as a more automated solution? It's more automated that USB based booting and imaging and require no physical media at all.

www.fogproject.org (my favorite open source project)
    TFTPD32 : a opensource TFTP server/service for windows : TFTP server

Even if you don't use FOG for full time deployment and management you can at least use the PXE server for launching netbootdisk to ghost systems, and remove the need for USB.

I have run into problems using USB netbootdisk versions in the past FYI, but the issue you are having is with not having an automated logon and execution script setup and working correctly.

Take a look at your logon.bat file that is located on your usb flash key.

Here is my logon.bat file that I use. Your results may vary from network to network, bu the idea is still the same.

Code:
    net use g: \\htpc\images
    g:
    dir
    ghost.exe -rb
    Let me give you a visual example (did I mention I love camdista studio 6? ) (see attached .zip file)

I think the main issue we keep coming back to here is that you are using usb flash media for this that is not fully setup and configured.... or not saving your preferences when it launches.

When the app first runs point the login script to logon.bat instead. Don't type net use g: \\server\share in line 4 of the menu. It really is that easy =)

I prefer to use the floppy version and get it working exactly the way I want. Then I can use winimage to take an .img of the floppy disk and stick it on my TFTP server and PXE boot it (as shown in that video I just attached)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ssx4life; 14th October 2009 at 06:07 AM.

2. Thanks to ssx4life from:

Cowardlyduck (14th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ssx4life View Post
    If your school happens to be using Server 2003 / 2008 may I suggest that you go with a TFTP server as a more automated solution? It's more automated that USB based booting and imaging and require no physical media at all.

FOG :: A Computer Cloning Solution - Home (my favorite open source project)
    TFTPD32 : a opensource TFTP server/service for windows : TFTP server

Even if you don't use FOG for full time deployment and management you can at least use the PXE server for launching netbootdisk to ghost systems, and remove the need for USB.

I have run into problems using USB netbootdisk versions in the past FYI, but the issue you are having is with not having an automated logon and execution script setup and working correctly.

Take a look at your logon.bat file that is located on your usb flash key.

Here is my logon.bat file that I use. Your results may vary from network to network, bu the idea is still the same.

Code:
    net use g: \\htpc\images
    g:
    dir
    ghost.exe -rb
    Let me give you a visual example (did I mention I love camdista studio 6? ) (see attached .zip file)

I think the main issue we keep coming back to here is that you are using usb flash media for this that is not fully setup and configured.... or not saving your preferences when it launches.

When the app first runs point the login script to logon.bat instead. Don't type net use g: \\server\share in line 4 of the menu. It really is that easy =)

I prefer to use the floppy version and get it working exactly the way I want. Then I can use winimage to take an .img of the floppy disk and stick it on my TFTP server and PXE boot it (as shown in that video I just attached)
    Thank you very much ssx.

I was able to figure this out based your last post.

Turns out I was making a silly mistake. I hadn't pointed the menu.bat to run the logon.bat so it wasn't performing any of these instructions.

Now it just prompts for the domain user name and password which is ok.

As for using PXE booting and no media. I do agree with you, this is much easier and simpler, once you get it up and running. Problem is I have no idea what kind of difficulties I might run into in setting this up, so I'm just sticking with what I know works for now, and when I find the time I'll delve into getting the PXE booting up and running.
    No doubt I'll be back with more problems/questions when I try to get that up and running.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12