+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, NLite + DriverPacks + USB_MultiBoot_10 in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

NLite + DriverPacks + USB_MultiBoot_10

Hi All,

Got a semi complicated question. Sorry in advance about the long post. Please take the time to read it as I can guarantee you or someone you know will find it useful.

Has anybody had any experience using NLite with DriverPacks and USB_MultiBoot_10 all together?

Basically I am trying to create a universal XP install disc that I can then use to begin to create images from.

What I am trying to achieve in creating this is to have any system in the school installed with XP as quickly as possible with as many correct drivers as possible, auto join the domain, prompt for a computer name during setup, auto create a couple of local user accounts with pre-set passwords and be ready to get setup with it's specific image.

I've been running into various problems so far, but I've managed to get a significant way.

One of the main problems I've got at the moment is getting NLite to recognise our obscure passwords. For some reason previous IT staff decided to use the character "*" in the main local admin account on every computer in the school. So far this hasn't caused any major problems, but it seems NLite does not accept this character in the text box for any user account you want to create.
    Solution should be simple right, just manually edit the session.ini file to include the password with the * symbol. Problem is that no matter which type of installation I seem to select it does not write any fields with the password in it, in the session.ini file.
    Can I just simply add lines like;

[GuiUnattended]
    EncryptedAdminPassword="No"
    AutoLogon="Yes"
    AdminPassword="password*"
    TimeZone=010
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    OemSkipWelcome=1

Or am I missing something?

I've written a little guide for myself and future people in my position. Can anyone comment on whether or not this is the correct way to be doing things or not?

1. First obtain a copy of an XP installation, (preferably with the latest service packs and updates, but it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t) and copy the content of the disc to a folder on the local computer.

2. Next download and install nLite. This is used to customise which features to include or not include in windows. To include all hotfixes and service packs. Tweak the registry. And to make the entire setup unattended.

3. Download latest XP post SP3 update pack from here, then follow the guide below to integrate it into the XP installation.
    Update Pack nLite Integration Directions

4. Download the Driver Pack application and all driver packs from here.
    Downloads | DriverPacks.net

5. Follow the nlite wizard to setup/customise windows installation. Make sure you select all available options including the ISO one as you should only go through this process once, but do not finish the wizard and create the ISO until you integrate driver packs (Do this whilst the NLite wizard is running). See forum below for details.

DriverPacks.net Forum / Can I install DriverPacks with nLite?

6. Follow the Driverpacks tutorial to slipstream all drivers into the XP installation, making sure you select the appropriate installation type, i.e. disc (CD/DVD) or multiboot install (USB). DriverPacks.net Forum / DriverPacks BASE tutorial (English)

7. If making a CD/DVD, without making any further changes burn to disc or ISO using NLite.

8. If making a USB; download USB_MultiBoot_10 from here. http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.p...e=post&id=1054
    Or here
    http://www.boot-land.net/forums/inde...e=post&id=5669

9. Follow one or both of these two guides to setup USB XP installer based on pre-configured XP installation with drivers.
    How to install XP from USB
    Installing Microsoft Windows XP from usb device (usb-stick, usb-hdd, SD card) simpler method [EeeUser Eee PC Wiki]

Thanks in advance,

Blake
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 16th September 2009 at 09:57 AM.

R0M
    Thank Post
    This is probably not the reply you were looking for but, Have you considered using FOG and setting up a computer then running sysprep? I was able to make an image with sysprep that had all the drivers we needed even able to deploy on AMD & Intel chipsets. We have one standard image can be deployed anywhere in the schoool and it will work in minuets.

The only drawbacks I can see over having a CD/DVD install is that, The computers must be networked (if you have any remote locations) and that its harder to do laptops (or any computer that are wireless).
    Last edited by R0M; 16th September 2009 at 06:46 AM.

Thank Post
    Have a look at Autoimage. It intergrates nLite, driverpaks, ryanvm, etc into 1 easy to use app

RogueSpear's Forums • Index page

4. Thanks to j17sparky from:

Cowardlyduck (17th September 2009)

Thank Post
    To be honest I have abandoned use of driverpacjs due to the multitude of problems that cropped up with sound and othe issues. It got to be a massive headache.

Pretty sure that autoimage is no longer supported or in development as Roguespear has switched to Linux.

Not really what you're after but I've found using nlite to incorporate in the actual drivers I want has worked best.

Thank Post
    ^ Once i got my head round it i have never had a single problem with any computer i have imaged (and that really is a wide variety! PIIIs to the latest netbooks). Fair enough you aint going to get the latest/weird wifi drivers, but for intel chipsets in "normal" PCs/laptops I have never had an issue.

Didnt know it wasnt supported anymore, was only on the site a few months ago, but if it aint broke... Works for me, and never officially supported RIS anyway...

Thank Post
    You can use UIU(Universal Imaging utility). With this you make an image with all the software you want. UIU will install the drivers for many hardware components.

Thank Post
    Thanks heaps for all the reply's.

I think I'll have to take a step back once I find the time and consider all the alternatives out there.

I do like the look of UIU, but the school would most likely be put off by the cost. Anyone had any luck using UIU with FOG or any other freeware?

Anyone know the answer to my question about NLite passwords?

I'm still trying to accomplish this using this method for now as I've put so much time into it already and I feel I'm close to success.

Cheers,

Blake

Thank Post
    UIU is very costly. I can't recommend the way I got it on this forum(If you can read between the lines). Its all over the internet.

Thank Post
    Well, I've still been strugling with this, but I am making progress.

Discovered that I was still selecting the option to 'Press any key to boot...' which I don't think is entirely compatible with booting from a USB.

I'm not in the process of following the steps in the post below in the hope this will solve my current problem, which is that my USB is not booting at all now.

What order "nLite", "RyanVM" "DriverPack&quot

Have many of you had any experience using Driverpacks with a USB?

I'm not quite sure what to do after selecting the option to create a multiboot install. It asks for the setup .ini but I just want to slip stream the drivers into the current install from scratch. It works if I select the disc option, but then my USB won't boot.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Blake

Thank Post
    Finally got this working.

Trick was, I found I cannot use any other formating for the USB stick other than FAT with LBA FAT16X enabled.

Not sure why this is exactly. USB_Multiboot_10 reportedly supports NTFS and even FAT32, although it's meant to be slow.

So i've now got a USB stick which can install XP on any hardware config faster than a CD or DVD + it has a whole lot of customisations to XP to suit our needs.

Although it's been frustrating at times , the learning curve to get to this point has shown me a lot about how to operate NLite, how to use Driver packs, unattended installs, etc.
    I think the other staff in the ICT room shared some of my frustrations, especially when I choose to select the KTD option when intergrating the driver packs as it makes the installation process beep continuously 300 to 400 times after install (very annoying) and there is no easy way to stop it. I just choose to take my lunch break then and came back to some red faced colleges.

I have revised my original instructions (below) for this whole process if anyone finds this useful. Feel free to recommend any changes or distribute. They should work now.

Cheers,

Blake

1. First obtain a copy of an XP installation, (preferably with the latest service packs and updates, but it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t) and copy the content of the disc to a folder on the local computer.

2. Next download and install nLite. Run through the wizard and download the latest XP post SP3 update pack from here, then follow the guide below to integrate it into the XP installation.
    Update Pack nLite Integration Directions

3. Download the Driver Pack application and all driver packs from here.
    Downloads | DriverPacks.net

4. Follow the Driverpacks tutorial to slipstream all drivers into the XP installation, selecting the disc option to integrate and using text mode for the storage drivers. Do not select the KTD option as it does not work and will make the installation process beep continuously 300 to 400 times after install (very annoying).
    DriverPacks.net Forum / DriverPacks BASE tutorial (English)

5. If making a CD/DVD, without making any further changes burn to disc or make ISO.

6. If making a USB; download USB_MultiBoot_10 from here. http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.p...e=post&id=1054
    Or here
    http://www.boot-land.net/forums/inde...e=post&id=5669

7. Follow one or both of these two guides to setup USB XP installer based on pre-configured XP installation with drivers. Make sure you use the PEtoUSB option (Option P) and select LBA FAT16 enabled, otherwise it will not boot.
    How to install XP from USB
    Installing Microsoft Windows XP from usb device (usb-stick, usb-hdd, SD card) simpler method [EeeUser Eee PC Wiki]

Thank Post
    Nlite + driverpacks don't like to mix well. Make sure you are following the BTS Driverpacks examples letter for letter.

I do know for a fact that you can combine Nlite + driver packs + oemscan (oembios) + xp power packer.

Read up on it here - Siginet Software Forums - Powered by vBulletin

btw. Nlite is powerful in of itself... but is bad ju ju when mixed incorrectly with other software at times.

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Hi, I only have register to this forum to thank you Cowardlyduck, your method to install from usb using nlite and driverpacks togheter just works flawlessly. I only modified the step 6, using the option "disc" rather than "multibootDisc", that works for me. This was the only way (your way) possible to make what I needed. Thank you very much!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread