+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, PXE issues... in Technical; Right, gonna try again with my problem with a slightly clearer head. (had the most evil migraine!) I've ghosted several ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

PXE issues...

Right, gonna try again with my problem with a slightly clearer head. (had the most evil migraine!)

I've ghosted several Dells today with no problems. So went over to the infants to do a group of Elonex's. Couldnt log in to them but have now realised that they are no long in the AD, so will sort that monday.

So i tried to Ghost them. The BIOS is horrible so have fiddled with it for ages but none of them even got as far the PXE screen. The one that did was coming back with the error:

No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received.

It's not the cable or anything because the original image creation machine quite happily logs on.

The original machine was taken off site to be imaged. I've checked the BIOS versions and they are the same, the nic drivers are the same (well i say that but the one had an american date and the other was english)....

any ideas?

Thank Post
    What model of Elonex are you using?

A quick search for "elonex pxe" comes up with (amongst others)...

"...Go to the "boot" page and enable "PXE Boot to LAN". Press F10 to save and exit.
    ...As soon as the PC reboot, press F12 to enter the PXE Network Boot and F12 again when asked to to so."

...at CERN.

Probs not the same model as yours, but it suggests that you need to look at the BIOS!

mb

3. Thanks to Martin from:

Little-Miss (5th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh how i wish the BIOS was that simple....seriously dude...i've checked and checked...but i shall check again!!

These Elonex's are before the went bust....

Thank Post
    why not just boot them off floppy/cd?

6. Thanks to sted from:

Little-Miss (5th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    hmm, looks like that may be my only option at the moment...

Thank Post
    Does this PXE boot fail with a message? What does it say?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I cant decide whether i have 2 problems with this you see.

First problem is that out of the 8 computers i can only get the one to get as far as PXE. So that seems like one issue.
    The one that does get that far and fails says "No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received.".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    bumping cus its got me stressed...

Tomorrow im going to:
    Do a IPCONFIG /RELEASE and RENEW on a machine to see if dhcp is listening to me...
    Try booting from a CD see if it works that way...

any other ideas?

Thank Post
    The first thing is to do ALL of your (initial) testing using the same physical network port in the wall - just in case there is something different with other connections.

Checking that DHCP is working under Windows (on that port) is a sensible idea - you can't afford to assume anything when trying to work out what is going wrong.

Even if DHCP works as expected under Windows, there is a chance that it may behave differently under PXE due to things like Spanning Tree Protocol (STP). This is because STP can delay a network port going "live" by thirty seconds or so, which co-incidentally is about the time it takes for PXE to time out! Thus if a PXE-boot initially fails, try again and press the <pause> key when the spinny propeller appears, wait 45 seconds or so then press the <return> key to continue (hopefully with a "live" port).

If that fails, get a modern PC that you have successfully (and recently) PXE-booted, and try it on that same physical port. If it fails (including after the "press <pause> trick") then either that network connection is broken, or the PXE server itself isn't working - try a different (previously working) network port to check if it is the connection or PXE.

If the "modern" PC works, then you need to look more closely at the Elonex configuration. Please post the full model number, BIOS version and BIOS date and compare it against the other Elonex machines (especially the one that was imaged "off site"). Oh, and just to check, was the "off site" machine actually imaged using PXE?

Even if the PCs are "pre-Elonex bust" (e.g. 2005/2006) there is a fair chance that they will support PXE. However earlier PCs (e.g. 2002/2003), especially if the NIC is on a separate card, might have a missing PXE boot-ROM (to save money).

So lots to try out - good luck!

mb

12. Thanks to Martin from:

Little-Miss (6th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Martin!

I know that if i press Ctrl+ S during boot i get a to a PXE setup screen and ive made sure its enabled. So i'm guessing its there...

The model is a Prosentia 800, will let you know the rest and how i get on tomorrow!

Thank Post
    It sounds like CTRL-S gets you into the NIC BIOS settings, but check that there is not a separate set of motherboard BIOS settings. Sometimes PXE can be sneakily hidden away - for example on DELL machines you can set the Network Interface Controller to be "Yes", "No" but also "On w/ MBA" or "On w/ PXE". Unless you scroll through all of the options, you can miss the vital setting!

mb

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh yes i have found that on Dells....oh how i wish these were Dells...I will have another look but didnt find any other mention of it...

Its an AMI BIOS....2k4...horrid thing..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread