+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Kernel Update in Technical; I have just recently started playing about with Fog (0.27) and Linux and have got it up and running with ...

Thank Post

Kernel Update

I have just recently started playing about with Fog (0.27) and Linux and have got it up and running with most of our computers, however I have a few machine types where Fog will not detect a hard drive when performing a full registration, so I thought I would try changing the kernel to see if that made any difference. As the fog server is behind a proxy server I can't use the update kernel option from the management page so I manually downloaded Kernel-2.6.30.3.kitchensink to /tftpboot/fog/kernel, renamed the existing bzimage to bzimagebackup and renamed the kitchensink kernel to bzimage. However now when I try to select perform full reg... from the fog menu it doesn't run (fog menu flicks off then immediately on again and can still navigate the menu). Can someone let me know where I might be going wrong.

Thank Post
    Nevermind, I din't realise the kernal name was case sensitive, i had bzimage instead of bzImage.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HilcrRWise View Post
    Nevermind, I din't realise the kernal name was case sensitive, i had bzimage instead of bzImage.
    Everything is case sensitive under Linux

Thank Post
    I have just recently started playing about with Fog (0.27) and Linux and have got it up and running with most of our computers, however I have a few machine types where Fog will not detect a hard drive when performing a full registration, so I thought I would try changing the kernel to see if that made any difference. As the fog server is behind a proxy server I can't use the update kernel option from the management page so I manually downloaded Kernel-2.6.30.3.kitchensink to /tftpboot/fog/kernel, renamed the existing bzimage to bzimagebackup and renamed the kitchensink kernel to bzimage. However now when I try to select perform full reg... from the fog menu it doesn't run (fog menu flicks off then immediately on again and can still navigate the menu). Can someone let me know where I might be going wrong.
    Can I steal your thread, as Ive done the exact same thing but still no luck detecting the 160Gb seagate drives in our Fujitsu Siemens Laptops, and I'm almost bout to give up on fog,

IT gives the following error..

ata3.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)

(fatal error detected: disk device not found when trying to upload image)

along with other very similar ones when i run debug mode, and if i run fdisk -l it does nothing, I have tried the same thing on the desktops and it spits out the Disk info.

Ive tried everything.. the BIOS dons't have an IDE / compatability / Native setting par se it has 4 different modes you can set the HDD as each with sub settings, but IVe tried everything and still FOG won't see the HDDs I've tried adding kernel arguments, acpi=off irqpoll which tbh I dont think are bieng passed on to the kernel, so i put them straight in the PXE.cfg default file, but still the exact same errors. Ive tried all sorts today, I also flashed the BIOS to the very latest version. My linux understanding isnt great,

I know with these laptops SuSe II and ubuntu 8.10 will not boot even with default settings, the new G parted live CD and ubuntu 9.04 will, If my understanding of linux was better i could pull them apart to see what the difference is in the linux kernels.

Is there anyway to to take apart the vmlinuz and or initrd and rebuild it either see whats enabled in there or repack it for FOG ???

I've got 30 of these bloody things to image before the kids are bk and as I'm only in half a week Its taken me ages messing round with them to no avail.

Ill post more specs later, if you have any ideas please help..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd try the kitchensink kernel.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenight639 View Post
    Can I steal your thread, as Ive done the exact same thing but still no luck detecting the 160Gb seagate drives in our Fujitsu Siemens Laptops, and I'm almost bout to give up on fog,
    It's with Fujitsu-Siemens laptops that I am having problems with aswell (Amilo Pro V8010's). I have already tried the latest kitchensink with no luck.

Thank Post
    It's with Fujitsu-Siemens laptops that I am having problems with aswell (Amilo Pro V8010's). I have already tried the latest kitchensink with no luck.
    so your still having problems with yours? mine are the esprimo V6515

If it were up to me they would be toshiba's..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenight639 View Post
    so your still having problems with yours? mine are the esprimo V6515

If it were up to me they would be toshiba's..
    I have just tried using the 'UserKernelPS' kernel and was able to register one of my Fujitsu laptops, which I couldn't do before, although I haven't had the chance to try sending an image to it yet.

Thank Post
    I have just tried using the 'UserKernelPS' kernel and was able to register one of my Fujitsu laptops, which I couldn't do before, although I haven't had the chance to try sending an image to it yet.
    I used clonezilla for the FJ laptops with my vbs and batch file to rename by serial number n join dom, its pretty good and easy to add to the fog pxe menu, will use FOG to image other machines though as Clonezilla asks too many questions.

Thank Post

FOG with DELL E6410 laptops - cant register hosts b/c no network hw found!

I just got FOG working nicely with D610 and D620 hardware and when I tried to get E6410 laptops imaged - it wont register hosts, the network tests from the boot menu dont find the network! So I understand this is kernel related... I don't have any experience modifying that sort of thing - are there resources I can find to dig into or is there a kernel alternative to KS that might work?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread