+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, HostnameChanger Could not find any recognizable digits in Technical; Ive setup FOG over the holidays and - after a shed load of testing - it appears to be working ...

Thank Post

HostnameChanger Could not find any recognizable digits

Ive setup FOG over the holidays and - after a shed load of testing - it appears to be working nicely! Tested, tested and tested again my image until it was right, everything on FOG service I wanted was working (hostname registration/changing only). Got all the drivers right/working Sysprep'd, took image, imaged out to about 150pcs over weekend, no probs!

Came in today (Monday off) and the hostname changer isnt working, and wont register them on the domain.
    Ive enabled hostname changer for the 'host' and globally in fog.
    Heres what the log says:
    Code:
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG Service Engine Version: 3
     18/08/2009 14:22 Starting all sub processes
     18/08/2009 14:22 3 modules loaded
     18/08/2009 14:22  * Starting FOG.SnapinClient
     18/08/2009 14:22  * Starting FOG.HostNameChanger
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::ClientUpdater Starting client update process...
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::ClientUpdater Sleeping for 435 seconds.
     18/08/2009 14:22  * Starting FOG.HostRegister
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::HostnameChanger Starting hostname change process...
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::HostnameChanger Yielding to other subservices for 8 seconds.
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::HostRegister Starting host registration process...
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::HostRegister Attempting to connect to fog server...
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::HostRegister Module is active...
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::HostRegister Attempting to connect to fog server...
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::HostRegister MAC already registered.
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::HostnameChanger Attempting to connect to fog server...
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::HostnameChanger Module is active...
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::HostnameChanger AD mode requested, confirming settings.
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::HostnameChanger Could not find any recognizable digits.
     18/08/2009 14:22 FOG::HostnameChanger    at System.ParseNumbers.StringToInt(String s, Int32 radix, Int32 flags, Int32* currPos)
       at System.Convert.ToByte(String value, Int32 fromBase)
       at FOG.FOGCrypt.hexToByte(String hex)
       at FOG.HostNameChanger.changeHostName()
    Any ideas? It worked fine on my test image pc when asking it to rename the pc just before i took the image.
    Also installed it onto a working pc with the previous image, works fine, renames/joins domain ok.
    I was hoping this little service was going to save me a shed load of time wandering round rooms!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Seems to be barfing on your password.

Thank Post
    Cheers!
    Generated the encrypted password again with FOGCrypt and seems to have fixed it. Im going to blame copy and paste :P

Thank Post
    Note to others with problems here (aka fruits of an hour or twos head-scratching).

AD password is specified in system settings and per host.

It needs to be encrypted by FOGCrypt which exists in /opt/fog-setup/fog_0.30/FOGCrypt . This needs to be transferred (with the etc dir and contents) to a windows machine and run there.

In the AD settings for the host, under fog 0.30, the domain username has to be specified as domain\username.

Fog 0.30, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Dell GX620

Thank Post
    I don't suppose anyone knows why FOG is changing the hostname of the workstations to the MAC address of the network card? I simply can't get the hostname changer to work. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank Post
    It uses the mac if you do a quick register on the host rather than a full register, in which case it asks what hostname you want the PC to have. Quick registration doesn't require any user input so FOG makes up values based on the values set under "FOG Settings".

If you list the hosts from the FOG server web interface you'll see what it thinks they should be called, and you can rename them there to whatever naming scheme you really want. Next reboot, the PCs will check in with FOG and they'll see they have a new name assigned and change themselves to match.

You can also change the default naming convention should you prefer to use quick registration from FOG settings. Rather than MAC based you can make it, e.g. PC-xxxx where xxxx is an auto incrementing number.

Cheers,

Chad

7. Thanks to Chad from:

sven (24th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Brilliant, I can see exactly where you are coming from on this. I keep getting a failure with the hostname changer, saying that it couldn't find and recognizable digits. I working on some stuff I have read about FOGCrypt, in relation to changing the passkey and running it on the Windows machine or something. If I have any other questions I will write back. thanks for your time.

Thank Post
    No problem!

The failure you're getting seems to be related to the password as suggested. To initially get things working I left the pass-phrase in the hostnamechanger.dll at the default and encrypted the password for the AD account I used with the FOGCrypt tool. Once you get it working then you can look at securing it up by changing the pass-phrase and recompiling hostnamechanger.dll if you wish. Don't forget that all the clients will need this modified version copied to them too though.

Thank Post
    Typically, I just get the following:

C:\>FOGCrypt password

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or ass
    embly 'IniReaderObj, Version=1.0.2424.11454, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=nul
    l' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'IniReaderObj, Version=1.0.2424.11454, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToke
    n=null'
    at FOGCrypt.Program..ctor(String strData)
    at FOGCrypt.Program.Main(String[] args)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\M
    icrosoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fus
    ion!EnableLog].

Thank Post
    I've never had FOGCrypt fail on me like that! Do you have another PC you can try it on, or do you get the same result there? Have you tried downloading it again, perhaps it's corrupt or didn't extract properly? I think I extracted it from the tar.gz on my PC using 7zip and it was fine.

Thank Post
    Got it working. some further reading revealed I needed Microsoft Support tools installing before it would work. Back to work!

Thank Post
    Do you mean netdom? That's no longer required as from FOG v0.29 - I've never installed it and hostname changes and domain joins work fine. Are you on an old version of FOG?

Glad you got it working anyway!

Thank Post
    No, I'm on FOG 0.30. Whatever I did worked. Just firing an image onto a workstation now, and hopefully it should change the hostname on completion. Thanks for your help!

Thank Post
    Still no joy. I still get a message about "unrecognized digits", even after adding the encrypted password into FOG Settings, as well as checking that each host is using the correct username and pass. I have also specified the domain name in the username field as suggested in the posts above.

Thank Post
    FQDN sorted that right out! The hostname now changes perfectly. Just got to get it to join the domain and my life will be complete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast