+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Syntax for specifying OU in AD in Technical; So far my evaluation of FOG is going very well indeed, but I've hit a minor stumbling block. The machines ...

Thank Post

Syntax for specifying OU in AD

So far my evaluation of FOG is going very well indeed, but I've hit a minor stumbling block. The machines are being added to AD but in the Computers container. I've had several attempts to get it to add to a different OU but so far without success.

If I want the PCs to be added to outer ou/middle ou/inner ou the syntax I've been trying is ou=first ou,ou=second ou,ou=third ou. I've tried reversing the order of the OUs without any greater degree of success.

OK, if i can't get this to work it's very much not a deal-breaker, but it would be nice if it was right.

Thank Post
    I've never managed to get this to work either, gave up in the end as it was easier to keep moving them around AD manually!

Mike.

Thank Post
    Working!

I've had a few problems with this, but it's now working. The main stumbling block is getting the OU specified correctly in FOG. I'm no LDAP expert - I'm sure that if I were this would have been easy.

The syntax needed for the OU in FOG is the full LDAP location. If you have nested OUs they must be listed starting with the deepest nesting. The string must include the DC entries.

So, if your domain is school.local and you have an OU called OUouter with OUinner nested within it, the required string to place a machine inside OUinner is:

OU=OUinner,OU=OUouter,DC=school,DC=local

Thank Post
    Actually funny enough after this thread, I had another go and also got it working, although I forgot to feedback to you all.

Download LDAP browser from softerra, it connects to you AD and allows you to copy the correct LDAP syntaxes straight out of the program, which is dead handy.

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread