+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, (confused) in Technical; GHOST SOLUTION SUITE 2.5 is what I have been given a quote for, and I am very unsure if its ...
    Thank Post

(confused)

GHOST SOLUTION SUITE 2.5 is what I have been given a quote for, and I am very unsure if its the right thing I am ordering.

I want the same type of functionality as the Ghost cast server of old, also their is no media. Its from civica.

Little help, plz.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 7th July 2009 at 08:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ghost Solution Suite is the name for Ghost, and all its new tools.

It contains the old Ghostcast server of old, with a lot of new features such as on the fly package distribution (if you can be bothered to spend hours crafting Ghost application packages), TFTP booting with relative ease, and a bunch of other stuff.

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

ICT_GUY (3rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    We use Solution Suite 2.5 here. Everything works the same as the old Ghost Console and Ghost Cast Server. You don't get a CD. You'll be sent a link to a download website from your supplier.

Hope that helps.

5. Thanks to mcowley from:

ICT_GUY (3rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I like this new hot topic feature.

@localzuk - you hit the submit button 1ms before I got there

I had half typed the same answer

7. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

ICT_GUY (3rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Cool, quick added question, where did you get the software from? Civica only supply the licences, said about downloading the software.

I could try a warez site

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure the boss at my last place got it from Misco. Came in a nice yellow box with Symantec written all over it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    Cool, quick added question, where did you get the software from? Civica only supply the licences, said about downloading the software.

I could try a warez site
    Can you not just download the demo/trial edition from symantec and pop the license key in to turn it into the full edition?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    with a lot of new features such as on the fly package distribution (if you can be bothered to spend hours crafting Ghost application packages)
    Doesnt take that long! - I use a virtual machine and go back to a clean snapshot after creating the application package.

It only takes a little longer than installing the software really and it can then be pushed out very easily using the ghost console.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The actual Ghostcast server of old, and related components, don't actually need a license key. As far as I remember, the license key of for the new Ghost Console that allows you to centrally manage images and workstations and lets you remote deploy the images.

I think you only need to buy workstation licenses if you are going to use the ghost console to manage them.

At the last place we just used the Ghostcast component as it was used of old.

Here, I've moved to Clonezilla which does the same job as Ghostcast but is free.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    The actual Ghostcast server of old, and related components, don't actually need a license key. As far as I remember, the license key of for the new Ghost Console that allows you to centrally manage images and workstations and lets you remote deploy the images.

I think you only need to buy workstation licenses if you are going to use the ghost console to manage them.

Here, I've moved to Clonezilla which does the same job as Ghostcast but is free.
    You need a license for any machine you have *ever* used it on that has not 1) been destroyed (releasing the license) or 2) Wiped with the special Gdisk command (releasing the license).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    Doesnt take that long! - I use a virtual machine and go back to a clean snapshot after creating the application package.

It only takes a little longer than installing the software really and it can then be pushed out very easily using the ghost console.
    Ah, but sometimes it doesn't work properly. I found it missing settings etc... which I then had to add manually.

No, you need a license for each machine you intend to push images to. Regardless of whether you use the server or not!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You need a license for any machine you have *ever* used it on that has not 1) been destroyed (releasing the license) or 2) Wiped with the special Gdisk command (releasing the license).
    Wow - there's a licensing headache for the NM at my last school! You've just given me a very good reason to stick with Clonezilla here (or FOG for those that prefer that instead).

I always thought buying Ghost Solution Suite once, without any workstation licenses, was overly expensive. To have to get all the workstation licenses as well...

Thank Post
    Wow - there's a licensing headache for the NM at my last school! You've just given me a very good reason to stick with Clonezilla here (or FOG for those that prefer that instead).

I always thought buying Ghost Solution Suite once, without any workstation licenses, was overly expensive. To have to get all the workstation licenses as well...
    We recycle or wipe machines going out, yearly maintenance is less than 1 for each workstation, but adding any new licenses to the console is a pain. Fortunately we won't hit our 350 client limit as we have macs making up the total machine count.

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread