+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
O/S Deployment Thread, (confused) in Technical; GHOST SOLUTION SUITE 2.5 is what I have been given a quote for, and I am very unsure if its ...
  1. #1
    ICT_GUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    2,261
    Thank Post
    646
    Thanked 283 Times in 204 Posts
    Rep Power
    104

    (confused)

    GHOST SOLUTION SUITE 2.5 is what I have been given a quote for, and I am very unsure if its the right thing I am ordering.

    I want the same type of functionality as the Ghost cast server of old, also their is no media. Its from civica.

    Little help, plz.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 7th July 2009 at 08:12 PM.

  2. #2

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,617
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Ghost Solution Suite is the name for Ghost, and all its new tools.

    It contains the old Ghostcast server of old, with a lot of new features such as on the fly package distribution (if you can be bothered to spend hours crafting Ghost application packages), TFTP booting with relative ease, and a bunch of other stuff.

  3. Thanks to localzuk from:

    ICT_GUY (3rd July 2009)

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chorley
    Posts
    74
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    We use Solution Suite 2.5 here. Everything works the same as the old Ghost Console and Ghost Cast Server. You don't get a CD. You'll be sent a link to a download website from your supplier.

    Hope that helps.

  5. Thanks to mcowley from:

    ICT_GUY (3rd July 2009)

  6. #4

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,618
    Thank Post
    845
    Thanked 881 Times in 731 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    326
    I like this new hot topic feature.

    @localzuk - you hit the submit button 1ms before I got there

    I had half typed the same answer

  7. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

    ICT_GUY (3rd July 2009)

  8. #5
    ICT_GUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    2,261
    Thank Post
    646
    Thanked 283 Times in 204 Posts
    Rep Power
    104
    Cool, quick added question, where did you get the software from? Civica only supply the licences, said about downloading the software.

    I could try a warez site

  9. #6

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,618
    Thank Post
    845
    Thanked 881 Times in 731 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    326
    I'm sure the boss at my last place got it from Misco. Came in a nice yellow box with Symantec written all over it

  10. #7

    Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fylde, Lancs, UK.
    Posts
    11,803
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 583 Times in 504 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    Cool, quick added question, where did you get the software from? Civica only supply the licences, said about downloading the software.

    I could try a warez site
    Can you not just download the demo/trial edition from symantec and pop the license key in to turn it into the full edition?

  11. #8
    jamin100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,036
    Thank Post
    141
    Thanked 98 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    with a lot of new features such as on the fly package distribution (if you can be bothered to spend hours crafting Ghost application packages)
    Doesnt take that long! - I use a virtual machine and go back to a clean snapshot after creating the application package.

    It only takes a little longer than installing the software really and it can then be pushed out very easily using the ghost console.

  12. #9

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,618
    Thank Post
    845
    Thanked 881 Times in 731 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    326
    The actual Ghostcast server of old, and related components, don't actually need a license key. As far as I remember, the license key of for the new Ghost Console that allows you to centrally manage images and workstations and lets you remote deploy the images.

    I think you only need to buy workstation licenses if you are going to use the ghost console to manage them.

    At the last place we just used the Ghostcast component as it was used of old.

    Here, I've moved to Clonezilla which does the same job as Ghostcast but is free.

  13. #10
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,424
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 488 Times in 428 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    The actual Ghostcast server of old, and related components, don't actually need a license key. As far as I remember, the license key of for the new Ghost Console that allows you to centrally manage images and workstations and lets you remote deploy the images.

    I think you only need to buy workstation licenses if you are going to use the ghost console to manage them.

    At the last place we just used the Ghostcast component as it was used of old.

    Here, I've moved to Clonezilla which does the same job as Ghostcast but is free.
    You need a license for any machine you have *ever* used it on that has not 1) been destroyed (releasing the license) or 2) Wiped with the special Gdisk command (releasing the license).

  14. #11

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,617
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    Doesnt take that long! - I use a virtual machine and go back to a clean snapshot after creating the application package.

    It only takes a little longer than installing the software really and it can then be pushed out very easily using the ghost console.
    Ah, but sometimes it doesn't work properly. I found it missing settings etc... which I then had to add manually.

    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    The actual Ghostcast server of old, and related components, don't actually need a license key. As far as I remember, the license key of for the new Ghost Console that allows you to centrally manage images and workstations and lets you remote deploy the images.

    I think you only need to buy workstation licenses if you are going to use the ghost console to manage them.

    At the last place we just used the Ghostcast component as it was used of old.

    Here, I've moved to Clonezilla which does the same job as Ghostcast but is free.
    No, you need a license for each machine you intend to push images to. Regardless of whether you use the server or not!

  15. #12

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,618
    Thank Post
    845
    Thanked 881 Times in 731 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You need a license for any machine you have *ever* used it on that has not 1) been destroyed (releasing the license) or 2) Wiped with the special Gdisk command (releasing the license).
    Wow - there's a licensing headache for the NM at my last school! You've just given me a very good reason to stick with Clonezilla here (or FOG for those that prefer that instead).

    I always thought buying Ghost Solution Suite once, without any workstation licenses, was overly expensive. To have to get all the workstation licenses as well...

  16. #13
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,424
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 488 Times in 428 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Wow - there's a licensing headache for the NM at my last school! You've just given me a very good reason to stick with Clonezilla here (or FOG for those that prefer that instead).

    I always thought buying Ghost Solution Suite once, without any workstation licenses, was overly expensive. To have to get all the workstation licenses as well...
    We recycle or wipe machines going out, yearly maintenance is less than 1 for each workstation, but adding any new licenses to the console is a pain. Fortunately we won't hit our 350 client limit as we have macs making up the total machine count.

  17. #14
    ricki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,475
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 164 Times in 157 Posts
    Rep Power
    52

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Confused: Which is best for home use?
    By tdavis80 in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th June 2009, 05:28 PM
  2. A little confused with VMWare products
    By m1ddy in forum Hardware
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29th April 2009, 10:46 AM
  3. confused - wireless
    By chrbb in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th November 2008, 05:31 PM
  4. installation page confused
    By firefighting in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28th May 2008, 08:47 AM
  5. Confused on installation
    By kay094 in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th May 2008, 09:13 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •