+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Client Menu in Technical; Rather than tagging this to my thread about WDS and FOG i thought id make a new post as it ...

Thank Post

Client Menu

Rather than tagging this to my thread about WDS and FOG i thought id make a new post as it was more of a specific question.

I've got FOG up and running fine theres just one thing thats got me stumped. On the clients when they boot and you get the Menu where you can select "Quick Image" it asks for a password. Now ive tried every password i can think of that would be associated and looked through FOG configuration of where this password is set and cannot find anything.

Can someone tell me either what the password usually is and/or how you can change this as id also like to know if you can add/remove password protect options on this boot menu as i can see kids messing about running memtest and the registration procedures as they dont seem to be passworded.

Thank Post
    from memory, load up the management interface, fog settings (top of screen), pxe boot menu (left of screen)

i've found this section a little flakey on occasion occasional getting a TFTP error when setting the passwords, but normally a long delay and a success message, or just instant success. Part of the problem for me may be that i'm running behind a proxy so parts of the management interface don't work properly causing delays when i click on menu items.

The general advice when having password issues seems to be to set everything to the same password intially. There actually of lot of places where passwords need to be reset if you do this:

fog user account on the operating system
    fog user for management interface
    storage node password
    pxe boot menu

there are also the .php configuration files, one for general config, and i think a seperate one for multicast settings.

...i think anyway, it's been a while since i moved it to a new server and had to find them all.

Thank Post
    thanks for that, i couldnt find that PXE menu section until you mentioned where it was.

I've come accross another problem though, when i use the Quick Image function, i enter my password everything kicks in fine until just before the ghosting process is about to start i get this big garbled error message to do with mysql.

Its a big chunk but the main points that stick out are;

"Access denied for user 'www-data '@' localhost' (using password: NO)

and then later down;

"A link to the server could not be established in /var/www/fog/service/host lookupbymac.php on line 27"
    "Enter a valid FOG username and password"

In my user accounts in the FOG managment window ive got an account called fog - password which doesnt work and even made one called test- test which again doesnt work, at the 3rd try of a username and password it just reboots.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Have you set the passwords in the fog settings under other information? I had same error untill all passwords were the same and correctly put in the right places.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Indeed it sounds like you've told FOG to use a database username/password combination that doesn't work.

Thank Post
    there is only 1 other password ive set in fog and that doesnt work either. Altho saying that i swear the passwords i was trying to set on the PXE boot menu were not working and all of a sudden started working later in the day when i tried again.

Thank Post
    i should make it clear i can ghost up and down fine by using scheduled tasks, just only get this prompt for a username and password when i use the quick image option on the pxe boot menu.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To answer the question, a quote from FOG forum:

Fog forum
    This is intentional, we disabled any feature on the boot menu that could be destructive to the client computer. You must regenerate the pxe menu via -> other information -> pxe boot menu in order to get into those options.

Thank Post
    after a quick look on the FOG forum, which i didnt know about until a few minutes ago i found someone with the exact same problem and apparently its a known bug with a patch to fix it;

SourceForge.net: FOG - A Free Cloning Solution: Help

only problem is being a complete linux noob, ive no idea how to install the patch

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    after a quick look on the FOG forum, which i didnt know about until a few minutes ago i found someone with the exact same problem and apparently its a known bug with a patch to fix it;

SourceForge.net: FOG - A Free Cloning Solution: Help

only problem is being a complete linux noob, ive no idea how to install the patch
    Just remove the .patch and replace the hostlookupbyname.php

Thank Post
    it seems there is no current file by the same name, only a "lookupbymac.php"

but before i even worry about that it appears i cant just copy and paste the new file into the folder, "Access Denied" so how do i get the damn thing in there! grr this is where my lack of linux skills becomes painfully obvious

Thank Post
    Yeah i had the same problem witrh the quick image, the patch does fix it, but i couldn't get it to install either. I just manually edited the files, it's only two lines you need to change i think.

You don't just replace the file though, the patch is designed to modify not replace.

I'll see if i can find what i changed...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    it seems there is no current file by the same name, only a "lookupbymac.php"
    noticed the same thing, it was the correct patch though as it fixed the problem.

Thank Post
    ok so i figured out how to paste the file into the folder but nothing changed, so im obviously doing something wrong so if you could let me know how you did it that would be great!

Thank Post
    I've attached my edited and working version, so do a direct replacement for your one.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by morganw; 29th June 2009 at 04:33 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast