+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, No network after imaging in Technical; I am trying to deploy an image, built in Virtualbox, to an NEC Powermate VL350 using FOG. The image appears ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

No network after imaging

I am trying to deploy an image, built in Virtualbox, to an NEC Powermate VL350 using FOG.

The image appears to install fine and all drivers are installed correctly. However the NIC, a realtek 8169, can't get an address from DHCP. I think I can rule out the NIC as the issue as its works with a CD install and during the imaging process. It only refuses to work when imaged.

So I guess its an issue with the image, perhaps something up with TCP/IP stack, but it works ok when deployed to other machines...so I'm scratching my head.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Have you tried reinstalling the NIC driver? I would build a basic image on a physical machine, image it and see if the same problem occurs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Have you tried reinstalling the NIC driver? I would build a basic image on a physical machine, image it and see if the same problem occurs.
    Yeah reinstalled drivers, both the version that was on the machine before it was imaged and the latest version. Same effect.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Guess I could have missed something in the answer file so something is not right in mini-setup?

Thank Post
    That would be my guess. Prob best to not add the ans file & see how it goes when you run through mini setup manually.

6. Thanks to f21970 from:

sparkeh (26th June 2009)

Thank Post
    What happens if you image to another instance of virtualbox? Does the networking work then?
    I've only ever made images on the actual hardware, I would guess that issue is down to the driver initally being installed on a fictional nic to start with.

I've never considered building images on virtual machines before, i guess it's a good way to keep a library of pre-syspreped drive images though.

8. Thanks to morganw from:

sparkeh (26th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Might just be worth doing a reset of the IP settings:
    Code:
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    The logfile contains lots of info which is probably not helpful but this has fixed a few odd problems for me in the past.

10. Thanks to srochford from:

sparkeh (26th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help guys, unfortunately I'm not in that school again for a bit - one of the downsides of working across multiple sites

Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    What happens if you image to another instance of virtualbox? Does the networking work then?
    Yes it does...which I guess rules out the answer file problem? But I will still try without an answer file to see what happens.

I've only ever made images on the actual hardware, I would guess that issue is down to the driver initally being installed on a fictional nic to start with.
    Yeah I thought about that, but I would expect XP to find the new network card and install the drivers, which actually it does do, just won't get an IP. Should have tried a static IP
    Will also try imaging the physical machine.

I've never considered building images on virtual machines before, i guess it's a good way to keep a library of pre-syspreped drive images though.
    Yeah that was my thinking. I have the machine saved just before sysprep so its dead easy to restore, make changes, sysprep again.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok back on this now.

I played around with the settings on the card (offload checksum etc) and it gets and ip address! Just for testing I reset the settings and alter them again and limited connectivity again. I am really tearing my hair out now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Static IP address can't connect to network either

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    If you have a look in Device Manager, I presume the driver is loaded/installed correctly? I recently had a similar problem whereby a system would work in a Bart PE setup, but once imaging had complete and Mini Setup attemped to join the domain it failed.

Looking in Device Manager, the network card had a question mark and was conflicting with another hardware device, which in the end I never managed to fix. I then disabled the onboard NIC and installed an Intel 10/100 card which worked perfectly.

15. Thanks to Michael from:

sparkeh (30th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the idea Micheal but nothing is awry in Device Manager.

If I give it a static IP, it can ping its own IP address and access its own workgroup but cant see or ping any others machines on the network.

Just running up a copy of xp on the machine in question to see what happens if I image it, then image it back.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    It sounds as though the driver is loaded, but something isn't quite right. Are you sure it's the same model/make of motherboard? It can vary sometimes when buying in batches.

I've seen it happen before (co-incidentally with Realtek's) that an available driver gets loaded, but the actual model of the NIC varies by one digit 8168 or 8169. They do require a different set of drivers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It sounds as though the driver is loaded, but something isn't quite right. Are you sure it's the same model/make of motherboard? It can vary sometimes when buying in batches.

I've seen it happen before (co-incidentally with Realtek's) that an available driver gets loaded, but the actual model of the NIC varies by one digit 8168 or 8169. They do require a different set of drivers.
    Another good idea, however I took the driver off the machine before it was imaged, and the same driver works when doing a straight install from CD.

Anyway, thanks for everyones input but (and although I would love to get to the bottom of this) I have decided to call it a day with this as its taking too much time. I took an image from the physical machine rather than virtualbox and this is deploying correctly with the same drivers.

Thanks again guys!

Thank Post
    i had this once, i had to to rebuild winsock to get it all ok again.

cant remember the commands but ill look in my notes.

it was this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

check out microsofts "fixitforme" tools at the bottom of the page, very handy!

BoX
    Last edited by box_l; 30th June 2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added link

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast