+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, NetInstall & NetRestore in Technical; My shiny new Intel iMacs have arrived for Music (11 of them) and, due to laziness, I want to image ...

Thank Post

NetInstall & NetRestore

My shiny new Intel iMacs have arrived for Music (11 of them) and, due to laziness, I want to image them using my OS X Server. A simple enough task you might think.

I found a brilliant website in the form of http://www.bombich.com/ which explains a relatively easy way to do this and all seemed to be going well until I tried to restore an image.

I have rebuilt the image twice, using both CCC and NRH but to no avail... still the same message saying that the image cannot be read! I appear to be able to browse to the images OK.

I haven't even attempted any of the good stuff yet... like the automated configuration gubbins.

Any help or suggestions of an alternative angle of attack would be gratefully received.

Thank Post

Re: NetInstall & NetRestore

^^^ BUMP ^^^

Surely somebody must have deployed some Macs!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts

I've used network imaging for macs but on OS9.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ok ... a little bit of documentation from me about how I have done mine ... this is very rough and ready, and has issues (which you will see).

I have OSX Server (10.4) ... that is a must for me. I build a base machine exactly as I like it making sure that the main account i start with is *NOT* called administrator ... but maybe 'support' ... patch ... tweak ... and once I am happy I do a test bind to the AD. If that is happy then I unbind it again and work on the default user template.

For this I follow the guidelines of Roberto here and delete anythig I don't need (the local cache of the profile created by whatever account I test it on the AD with, for example)

That done I reboot the machine in target mode (hold down 'T' on reboot) and connect it to the server via firewire drive (server is a MacMini so it is not a problem to move it to whatever suite I am working on).

I then run the System Image Utiliy to make a NetInstall image. Getting NetInstall runing on your server is another conversation but you have to have at least on System Image to start the service ... I'l explain more in a minute.

The image is enabled and I network boot the machine that needs the image (hold down 'N' on boot). Depending on how you prepared the image (you have options of specifying that it can only load on certain flavours of machines ... eg PowerPC eMacs) it will pull down the appropriate image, or give you a choice of them.

Once the image is installed and the machine has rebooted then you can log back in as the local account and make sure it is happy. Then you change the name to what you want (do it in the 'sharing' system preference and make sure you click 'edit' to change the .local name too in the NetInfo table).

Next is binding back onto the AD. This has been a bit strange for me sometimes. There has been the odd occasion when I have had to unbind the machine again ... but usually I just specify the correct name, bind it and away we go.

Next is changing settings on the machine. This is done through WorkGroup Manager and at this point I have to say RTFM ... there is a lot to go through in this bit and it varies from school to school (the same way that different places have GPOs set differently).

I hope this explains what I do and I would welcome people adding in their bits too ...

I stopped using CCC now ... and if you are using NetRestore there should be no need to use CCC unless you use 10.2 machines IIRC.

Thank Post

Errrmmmm...that's a lot of work there Tony! If it keeps ya happy ;-) It's not wrong, but I just wouldn't go through those hoops. I started (Ric_) running a test NetInstall image from the OS X Server using a generic image type. There are manuals on how to do this in PDF format on Apple's server pages. Then I can name the machine, bind it to AD/OD and lock down preferences for just about everything using WorkGroup Manager.

I would test all this first- and it looks like Tony does the same thing. Which is good, because things on the Windows side can go wrong. And it can be more complicated than the above..depends on your configuration. By the sound of it though you just want an image you can push out from your server a la RIS. In which case NetInstall can do it fine. Of course you could use NetBoot, but I would take a look at the documentation for that one first. It has some advantages.

Another recommendation I would make is that you really look at Apple Remote Desktop. I haven't seen anything like this for a time- and software deployment is a lot easier to your Macs from ARD than using any other method I know of. You can of course control Windows machines with ARD to- you just need a VNC client on the XP machine.

But yes- NetInstall all the way. Want to lock it down? Use your OS X Server centrally to push out your evil plans....

Paul :-)

Thank Post

Hmmm the Corby MacOS maffia is in the house

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I still don't have a universal copy of Tiger yet, so the 2 builds I have are eMacs (2 flavours) and Intel iMacs ... so I HAVE to build the iMac image ...

ARD is planned ... we had a choice though, move all machines to Tiger and latest version of iWorks / iLife or start dropping some bits in favour of ARD. Roll on April and the new budget!!!

How are you binding the OD/AD stuff now? Using OD as a pass through to AD or straight to AD? Do you have all users linked in OD as well as AD and do you synch it?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    I still don't have a universal copy of Tiger yet, so the 2 builds I have are eMacs (2 flavours) and Intel iMacs ... so I HAVE to build the iMac image ...

ARD is planned ... we had a choice though, move all machines to Tiger and latest version of iWorks / iLife or start dropping some bits in favour of ARD. Roll on April and the new budget!!!

How are you binding the OD/AD stuff now? Using OD as a pass through to AD or straight to AD? Do you have all users linked in OD as well as AD and do you synch it?
    The MacAFFIA are here!

No problems- I dont think there is any "right" way of trying to make OS X and AD integrate with each other, or any definitive way of imaging a system. Bombich has some excellent tools out there, and of course you can use whatever method suits you. Actually you gave me some ideas...

ARD would benefit you an aweful lot though Tony (as you will know), but until then you can always use Package Manager to make packages of applications you want to push out with your system images. It's not easy- as you no doubt know- but it works (read: can work).

On our test LAN we are using OD > AD. I'm not sure that during the October break we will go for that. Perhaps a straight through authentication to AD would be better- and that's what I have been using on live machines up to now because media were reluctant to lose their shiny G5 tower as a server (I'm thinking Mac Mini for that now after having been told to do that by Apple Staff at the Birmingham store). I don't need anything on the server other than the ability to lock down the machines and their preferences (right now), but that might change. The Head and I are agreed that right up until the new build Macs will get a lot more attention- and they have some very cool things planned for the build that will mean expanding the Apple influence a lot more.

How are you rolling your integration now then? Similar, or are you jumping in with both feet?

Paul

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    Hmmm the Corby MacOS maffia is the house

That would make Tony "The MacFather"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kingswood
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    Hmmm the Corby MacOS maffia is the house

That would make Tony "The MacFather"
    Oh no ... I am just a fervent lieutenant to the MacFather who works further down the M1 ...

Have you ever wondered why he calls himself Roberto?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kingswood
    How are you rolling your integration now then? Similar, or are you jumping in with both feet?

Paul
    We have been live with Macs directly into AD for the last 2 years. Last year we rolled out the machines via CCC and firewire but that was only 14 ... and a further 4 later on.

Now we have eMacs in Medai and Art (14 and 4 respectively), 10 Intel iMacs in Music alongst with a Mac Mini for recording ... and a Mac Mini for the server.

Rolling out via NetBoot and I will probably add an external drive to the Mac Mini before the end of the hols ... and then I get the pleasure of dropping it all for Stephen to look after.

Thank Post

I had a look at NetInstall but for some reason I decided against it (IIRC it was something to do with the packages).

NetBoot and running the Macs over the network isn't really an option since they are for Music.

That is why I settled upon NetRestore... it seemed to make the mostt sense since I could set up the Macs as I wanted them - i.e. removing the stuff that can be played with and adding gubbins that I think are necessary

I'm going to have another look through the documentation - I have read it already (on this occasion)!!!

I then intend to bind them to AD and use OD to lock down the apps (as per the Apple destructions).

The problems I'm having are strange - I keep falling at the final hurdle... I even watched the Mike Bombich webcast which looked exactly like what I had done up until the image restore (his restored and mine didn't )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

NetRestore across subnets? I am sure he has written an article about that but you have probably seen it (I think it was part of the webcast anyway). Have you asked on his forums? I've not been on there but have heard that everyone is fluffy and friendly.

Thank Post

http://forums.bombich.com/viewforum....7527a8959cc693

Forums are pretty good there- but there should be no problem restoring across subnets I don't think.

Take a look.

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast