+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
O/S Deployment Thread, Ghost or WDS in Technical; Originally Posted by gshaw The more threads I read about WDS the less reason I see to move from my ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    The more threads I read about WDS the less reason I see to move from my trusty SMS 2003 with OSD imaging system that works like a charm...
    What about the inevitable move to vista/windows 7? From what I understand sms2003 won't be capable of deploying these os's.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    ok so i installed ubuntu on a desktop machine, didnt go for server as i intend to use windows server to act as the DHCP server. Ive followed the wiki instructions and got this far;

Its worth noting currently, the test bed network we have this now hooked up to doesnt have an internet connection, is that gonna cause me any trouble?
    It downloads new software from the internet so it will need a live internet connection and you may need to set the proxy address if you have one. You can do that in one of the menus at the top.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It looks like the version of Ubuntu you are using is missing required packages - MySQL and Apache. These are almost certainly installed as standard as part of the server version.

If I was you I'd start again with Ubuntu Server.

Don't worry about being a server edition, it doesn't mean it will take over your DHCP, DNS, LDAP or whatever else you have your Windows servers doing. All it means is that it includes various server technologies that you can use IF YOU WANT TO.

Two of these technologies will be a Web Server - Apache and a Database Server - MySQL - that are required by FOG.

Or at least that's what your screenshot is suggesting to me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You should be able to install on Ubuntu Desktop, in fact the FOG install guide uses the desktop edition.

Can't exactly remember but perhaps this is downloaded and installed during the FOG install? As you have no internet connection perhaps it failed?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    What about the inevitable move to vista/windows 7? From what I understand sms2003 won't be capable of deploying these os's.
    It can definitely do Vista with the OSD update so not sure what the status of 7 is though...

Will only move when we absolutely have to as I read far too many threads about how bad SCCM is with bare metal installs and unknown clients that it's not exactly selling itself to me at the moment

Had it on test twice and both times SMS felt more intuitive and quicker to get working
    Last edited by gshaw; 25th June 2009 at 03:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    Its worth noting currently, the test bed network we have this now hooked up to doesnt have an internet connection, is that gonna cause me any trouble?
    You are going to need an internet connection, as well as an entered proxy if your behind one.

Also, a few FOG installs i have done, failed first time, simply running sudo ./installfog.sh again sorted this out.

Thank Post
    I Apologise for the last post, It's friday afternoon and I'm going away for the weekend and my mind being elsewhere didn't realise the page two.

Again Sorry.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure I just read a question about password behaviour on the pxe boot menu? Now its gone.

Anyway to answer the question a quote from FOG forum:

This is intentional, we disabled any feature on the boot menu that could be destructive to the client computer. You must regenerate the pxe menu via -> other information -> pxe boot menu in order to get into those options.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 26th June 2009 at 03:25 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12