+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Help required with FOG in Technical; Just installed FOG and Ubuntu but now what? Anyone got a quick and easy set of instructions of how to ...
    Thank Post

Help required with FOG

Just installed FOG and Ubuntu but now what? Anyone got a quick and easy set of instructions of how to use it. Set it up to be its own DHCP server (I think I have anyway). Looked at the WIKI and and the task to test the installation but it wants me to add PC's by their host name and mac address. Whats the easiest way to do this if I have a few computers to do?

Thank Post
    It depends really. If you have setup PXE boot on your network, the best way to register hosts (clients) is to boot the client using PXE boot. It will then get an IP Address, and hopefully the FOG menu will come up on the client. I think the third item down is the full registration and inventory option, which I have done. You go through that, and it asks you a few questions, and then contacts the FOG server and saves it all.

To be honest, the way that I set it up is as follows:
    • Installed Ubuntu desktop on an older PC
    • Made sure it had network and internet access
    • Downloaded and installed fog
    • Left our Win2k server as the DHCP server- made things easier I think to just have 1 DHCP, instead of 2 which could complicate things.
    • Set up Win2k to be able to allow PXE boot (see FOG Wiki)
    • Changed client PCs to be able to PXE boot (in BIOS settings)
    • PXE'd boot clients and performed self registration and inventory
    • Grouped client PCs (hosts) in FOG server
    • Created an image option in FOG for each image that I needed. This is basically creating an entry in the FOG database so it knows about an image, and then the image can be assigned to individual hosts or a group of hosts.
    • Assign this image option to each group as appropriate to your needs.
    • Once a PC had been prepared for imaging (sysprep'd), I told FOG server to do an upload of that host. Next time I PXE booted that host, it automatically talked to FOG and knew that it had to upload the image to FOG- you'll see a progress bar, it's pretty quick.
    • Once complete, you can either unicast or multicast that image to the group of associated PCs/clients/hosts whatever you call them. This is basically deploying the image to the clients.
    I didn't touch the AD settings on FOG, as sysprep did it for me.

I also made the mistake of installing FOG on a PC with a smaller HD (40GB initially) but later took an image of that HD using clonezilla, replaced with a new larger HD, and then reimaged the new HD. Worked a treat.

Multicast didn't really work for me- much slower than unicasting for some reason. I don't do low level networks, so didn't look into it. However, you can set the number of unicasts that can be done at the same time, the rest will queue until a slot is free. I actually set this to be 1 unicast at a time. It was much faster in the long run I believe than doing 2 or 3 at a time. The FOG server is a P4 2.8GHZ with 512MB ram- not a fast piece of kit, but worked happily enough.

Hope this helps.

3. Thanks to rocknrollstar from:

TechSupp (14th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Yep that was helpful thanks, in the meantime I tried PXE to the FOG server and the menu appeared, did the inventory task but it seemed to take ages on each part, eventually gave up and just entered its details manually. So its an upload to an image, couldn't seem to find which option it was from the docs, think I need a "do this, now do this" type of documentation . Will try that tomorrow. So far so good though.

I have let FOGF be a DHCP server as I cover 4 primaries and will need to lug this around with me, so any multi or unicasting will be done on independant networks (i.e. any pcs will be connected to the FOG server directly and not on the school network, although I see the advantages with auto join to domain and rename etc.) untill I sort things out more.

Currently using PartImage so I have some of the images already and they are apparently compatible with FOG, but may just re-image just the same.

Thank Post
    i usually go to 'list all hosts' then pick an individual host. On the left it has the basic tasks option. First click upload host to take an image of a client and store it on the server. Pxe boot client and it will automatically upload it's own image. Then click on a group, basic tasks, and do a deploy. This will send out the image from the server to the clients.

Pretty much all there is to it. Could do more detailed step by step instryuctions if needed.

6. Thanks to rocknrollstar from:

TechSupp (14th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Should be OK now, just didn't see how to create an image but its alot clearer now guys, thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread