+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
O/S Deployment Thread, Imaging and Windows VLK in Technical; Originally Posted by tmcd35 If you sysprep a OEM copy of windows it will need an OEM license key and ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    If you sysprep a OEM copy of windows it will need an OEM license key and it will need reactivating. Being OEM it can only be reactivated once and M$ will start asking questions when you try and reactivate the 4th or 5th machine based on that image.
    I've managed to use an OEM XP key that I randomly took from a Dell system case to image 30 PCs with that had Vista Business licenses, and Activated it 30 times as well. So far no one from Microsoft has been banging down the door. I was surprised I was able to activate it that many times, but it worked fine!

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    I've managed to use an OEM XP key that I randomly took from a Dell system case to image 30 PCs
    I feel I should point out again that this breaks the EULA.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I feel I should point out again that this breaks the EULA.
    I know, but when I rang Microsoft they were very unhelpful and weren't able to supply me with a valid windows XP key to use to enable me to take advantage of the downgrade right under the windows Vista business license, so after getting passed from pillar to post and no one actually being able to answer my query, I gave up and just used the first product key that came to hand.

We don't have a Volume license at the school I work at, and I don't want to enter into one either. The only licenses we have are the OEM ones we buy with the machines, so what else was I supposed to use? Microsoft couldn't answer that question.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Just a slight clarification on the main point here. If you re-image a machine that as an OEM licence (and sticker attached) with your Volume License Upgrade media than you can use the VLK without having to purchase more licenses - the OEM licences will cover it's use.

What you can't do is enter a VLK inplace of a OEM license key (the one on the sticker) when using the OEM media to restore a machine.

AFAIK there are three sets of license keys M$ use - Volume, OEM and FPP (Full Product). These license keys are tied to thier respective media. You can use an OEM license key with any OEM media - but you can not use the FPP or VLK keys with the OEM media.

Under the terms of the Volume License agreements you can re-image any machine with the Volume Media without buying any additional volume license if the machine is covered by an equal or newer OEM license to the volume license you want to install.

Thus if the machine as a Vista OEM license you can install 95/98/2000/XP/Vista volume media, but not Windows 7. Windows 7 would require the purchase of an additonal volume license for Windows 7, unless the machine is supplied with Window 7 OEM.

Clear? As mud! That's M$ licensing for you!
    Also...
    If you have a MS schools agreement, with the relavent option (I can't remember which one - you'll have to check!), then it covers you for OS upgrades, so that you can install 9x, 200x, XP, Vista, or 7 (at some point soon) for OEM licensed machine.

However, it's an upgrade only option, so you need an OEM license of some sort to start with (even XP Home will do).

So they told me at the Viglen licensing workshop

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    I've managed to use an OEM XP key that I randomly took from a Dell system case to image 30 PCs with that had Vista Business licenses, and Activated it 30 times as well. So far no one from Microsoft has been banging down the door. I was surprised I was able to activate it that many times, but it worked fine!

Mike.
    I can't see anything morally wrong with this as the machines you've bought all had microsoft licences in the first place.

We have bought machines in the past supplied with OEM licences only to re-image them with VL so we're paying for it twice!? many suppliers don't sell machines without OS's. I Think microsoft could atleast send us sum free mice and keyboards or t-shirts and mugs if were really paying twice for the same software

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenight639 View Post
    I can't see anything morally wrong with this as the machines you've bought all had microsoft licences in the first place.
    Since when did morals have anything to do with MS licensing? It breaks the EULA and is illegal.

Thank Post
    Wow... a thread back from the dead.

Sparkeh is right, that does break the EULA... however, if you have a Vista Business or Ultimate license you are entitled to do a downgrade, and Microsoft decided (bizarrely) that you're allowed to do this using any XP key. So if that's what you're doing, you're ok.

I've done tons of them, as have the reseller I used to work for (a Microsoft Gold Partner if I remember rightly). It's kosher, honest! 30 activations from one key though? That's gotta be a record

Sadly you can't downgrade Vista Home/Basic/Whatever it's called for free. You can get a free upgrade to Ubuntu if you want though

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    if you have a Vista Business or Ultimate license you are entitled to do a downgrade, and Microsoft decided (bizarrely) that you're allowed to do this using any XP key.
    I believe that you need to apply to MS for an XP key using your Vista Business key - however, if you can show me the documentation saying different that would be great.

Thank Post
    Since when did morals have anything to do with MS licensing? It breaks the EULA and is illegal.

hmm morals and microsoft, i'll won't go into that one, might turn into a rant

If it breaks the EULA then best to build a new image with the VL version.

Thank Post
    I believe that you need to apply to MS for an XP key using your Vista Business key - however, if you can show me the documentation saying different that would be great.
    This document should do you I think; the paragraph below being the relevant thing.

Can I downgrade my OEM version of Windows Vista Business to Windows XP Professional?
    Yes. OEM downgrade rights for desktop PC operating systems apply to Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate as stated in the License Terms. Please note, OEM downgrade versions of Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate are limited to Windows*XP Professional (including Windows*XP Tablet PC Edition and Windows*XP x64 Edition). End users can use the following media for their downgrade: Volume Licensing media (provided the end user has a Volume Licensing agreement), retail (FPP), or system builder hologram CD (provided the software is acquired in accordance with the Microsoft OEM System Builder License). Use of the downgraded operating system is governed by the Windows Vista Business License Terms, and the end user cannot use both the downgrade operating system and Windows Vista Business. There are no downgrade rights granted for Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows Vista Home Premium.

In other words, if you've got a PC with an OEM XP Pro COA on it and you have the disk, you can use that.
    Last edited by Batman; 22nd July 2009 at 06:33 PM.

11. Thanks to Batman from:

sparkeh (22nd July 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123