+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
O/S Deployment Thread, Imaging and AD process in Technical; Hi, I am in the process of imaging several (24) computers at our school. I've got a FOG server running, ...
  1. #1
    rocknrollstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    435
    Thank Post
    387
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    21

    Imaging and AD process

    Hi, I am in the process of imaging several (24) computers at our school. I've got a FOG server running, and it's all works fine. Environment is Win2k server, xp clients.

    My question is about using AD. The computers are all currently registered in AD (on the domain). What's the process that I need to do to reimage them, but have them joined to the domain and in an OU when they get imaged? Do I need to remove it from the domain before doing any imaging?

    I'm using sysprep, and have got it to join the domain automatically, although it gives it a rubish name (eg domain-234k234). Not sure if I need Fog to do any AD stuff.

    I.E. is this right?

    1- remove from domain
    2- have sysprep add to domain, including special naming convention
    3- deploy image

    Also, how do I use sysprep, but join different machines to different OUs?

    Sorry for the confused post, got to go to a funeral soon and trying to get it completed! Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    dwhyte85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,231
    Thank Post
    162
    Thanked 151 Times in 136 Posts
    Rep Power
    104
    The simplest method would be:

    If you're using an image to put onto machines, it would be already off the domain. When you image a machine it doesnt matter whether they're on/off the domain, it might be worthwhile deleting the computer account from AD if you want to be careful.

    When you've finished imaging, use a tool called NewSID, this will ensure your machines wont give funny errors for dup SIDs.

    When you've finished SID'ing, rejoin the computer to the domain and rename the computer accordingly, then put in correct OU.

  3. Thanks to dwhyte85 from:

    rocknrollstar (22nd May 2009)

  4. #3

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,867
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 778 Times in 651 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    When you've finished imaging, use a tool called NewSID, this will ensure your machines wont give funny errors for dup SIDs.
    Noononono. Sysprep exists for a reason; if you're going to image, at least do it properly.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    My question is about using AD. The computers are all currently registered in AD (on the domain). What's the process that I need to do to reimage them, but have them joined to the domain and in an OU when they get imaged? Do I need to remove it from the domain before doing any imaging?

    I'm using sysprep, and have got it to join the domain automatically, although it gives it a rubish name (eg domain-234k234). Not sure if I need Fog to do any AD stuff.
    With blind sysprep and a ghost-type deployment, you can't have them join automatically with a name you specify, which is a bit of a pain. (With Windows Deployment Services you can, with a little substitution magic in your answer file.)

    To be prompted during setup, set a blank name in the answer file and mini-setup will ask you at the appropriate point. The other steps you've automated will still take place as you specify.

    To make sure they're in the right OU straight away, pre-stage the computer account in Active Directory (or if it already exists, just don't delete it) and make sure you use the same name during mini-setup.

  5. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

    rocknrollstar (1st June 2009)

  6. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,847
    Thank Post
    92
    Thanked 321 Times in 242 Posts
    Rep Power
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    the appropriate point. The other steps you've automated will still take place as you specify.

    To make sure they're in the right OU straight away, pre-stage the computer account in Active Directory (or if it already exists, just don't delete it) and make sure you use the same name during mini-setup.
    Or you could include a vbs script on the desktop for first logon that moves the computer to the right ou based on computer name , i'm scrambling around but i may be able to produce it if you need it?

  7. Thanks to strawberry from:

    rocknrollstar (22nd May 2009)

  8. #5
    rocknrollstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    435
    Thank Post
    387
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Thanks everyone for providing clarity. I think I will:
    -leave computers in AD, as they will have the same name after being imaged
    -leave blank in sysprep the computer name, and supply it at run time during minisetup

    Seems so simple when you know how

    Thanks again

  9. #6

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,321
    Thank Post
    902
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    Thanks everyone for providing clarity. I think I will:
    -leave computers in AD, as they will have the same name after being imaged
    -leave blank in sysprep the computer name, and supply it at run time during minisetup

    Seems so simple when you know how

    Thanks again
    spot on exactly

  10. Thanks to FN-GM from:

    rocknrollstar (24th May 2009)

  11. #7

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,297
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Rep Power
    344
    Thanks everyone for providing clarity. I think I will:
    -leave computers in AD, as they will have the same name after being imaged
    -leave blank in sysprep the computer name, and supply it at run time during minisetup

    Seems so simple when you know how
    - Personally I wouldn't do this. Delete all the existing computer objects of the machines you're going to re-image. Also give the re-imaged machines slightly different names too. Workstation01 compared to Workstation001.
    - Either supply an answer file with computer names, or automate Sysprep and just manually enter the computer name (how I usually do things)
    - Once the machines are joined to the domain, move the computer objects into the relevant OUs so they pick up any computer policies you've set
    - Then remember to install any AV software you have

  12. Thanks to Michael from:

    rocknrollstar (24th May 2009)

  13. #8
    rocknrollstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    435
    Thank Post
    387
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Ok, this is what I am doing now! ::

    - prepare imaged computer to perfection...
    - remove from domain
    - configure sysprep to add to domain when sysprep'd
    - configure sysprep to prompt for a computer name from me (in sysprep.inf, make line look like COMPUTERNAME= with nothing after the equals sign).
    - Using Fog to manage imaging.

    We'll get there, let's hope it works... Thanks everyone for your help. Will update.

  14. #9

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,321
    Thank Post
    902
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    Ok, this is what I am doing now! ::

    - prepare imaged computer to perfection...
    - remove from domain
    - configure sysprep to add to domain when sysprep'd
    - configure sysprep to prompt for a computer name from me (in sysprep.inf, make line look like COMPUTERNAME= with nothing after the equals sign).
    - Using Fog to manage imaging.

    We'll get there, let's hope it works... Thanks everyone for your help. Will update.
    Myself i dont remove the machine before sysprep, it doesn't make a difference

  15. Thanks to FN-GM from:

    rocknrollstar (24th May 2009)

  16. #10

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,297
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Rep Power
    344
    @rocknrollstar - No need to demote the machine from the domain. Sysprep will do this when the machine SID is reset.

    @FN-GM - It's happened to me quite a few times before that machines appear to join the domain successfully, then when the machine reboots it's ready and waiting at the logon screen (which is normal), however when attempting to logon it fails saying the domain is unavailable. It's hit and miss, so this why I delete accounts. A new computer object must then be created during the Sysprep process.

  17. Thanks to Michael from:

    rocknrollstar (24th May 2009)

  18. #11
    rocknrollstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    435
    Thank Post
    387
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    It's happened to me quite a few times before that machines appear to join the domain successfully, then when the machine reboots it's ready and waiting at the logon screen (which is normal), however when attempting to logon it fails saying the domain is unavailable. It's hit and miss, so this why I delete accounts. A new computer object must then be created during the Sysprep process.
    This is what I found happening- my solution was to remove the computer from AD before imaging.

    Thanks

  19. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    163
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    This is what I found happening- my solution was to remove the computer from AD before imaging.

    Thanks
    I always reset/remove the imaged machines from the AD, as I've run into conflicts in the past when comes to GPO's associated with them.
    As said before a new computer object has to be created during sysprep. When comes to computer names inside sysprep.inf I enter the first part of the computer name, which consists of the OS and the room name/location and then a symbol. For example " XP203* " . When sysprep detects the symbol it will eventually stop and then I enter the remaining part which is the number of the computer.

  20. Thanks to dtakias from:

    rocknrollstar (1st June 2009)



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [Fedora] RTNETLINK answers: no such process
    By Gatt in forum *nix
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 8th April 2009, 02:59 PM
  2. RM's create/restore imaging process
    By Michael in forum Windows
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 7th July 2008, 01:45 PM
  3. [News] Slaves to The Process
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 4th July 2008, 05:08 PM
  4. What process....
    By Joanne in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st March 2008, 06:01 PM
  5. AutoIT process communication
    By NetworkGeezer in forum Scripts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th May 2007, 09:00 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •