+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, FOG is AWESOME! in Technical; I'd just like to say... WOW! Got FOG set up this week using Debian on an old low spec server ...
    Thank Post

FOG is AWESOME!

I'd just like to say... WOW!

Got FOG set up this week using Debian on an old low spec server we weren't using. It's absolutely incredible, we've been such suckers for using Ghost all this time.

If you haven't tried it, I recommend you do, it's great

One thing I didn't quite like was the default setup that requires you to leave your mysql root password blank. I made a user for fog, with a password. Pretty much my only gripe... the speed the thing works at is incredible, it's about twice the speed of Ghost on our network.

Does anyone have any particular tips or tricks to do with FOG?

2. Thanks to Batman from:

Netman (15th May 2009)

coquet636
    Gotta agree.....

We run it on ubuntu server 8.10 and runs a treat.. getting so much more benefit from it than ghost. Its easier to use, easier to configure and best of all free. . . . .

Thank Post
    Aye, it is.

I've been using it here for about 6 months now, and it is a genius program. When you get the fog service working on the clients and use the active directory feature it really comes into its own.

The speed of it always amazes me, 6GB images pulled down to clients in about 3-4 minutes on this network, now that's fast!

This thread reminds me, I need to update my installation as we're a few versions behind at the moment.

Mike.

Thank Post
    That's good to hear - I have FOG virtual appliance downloaded and ready to install at half term...

Thank Post
    How does FOG compare too say WDS? speed? features?

Any troubles with compatibility? etc

At the moment we use it purely for imaging but Fog looks fantastic compared to WDS....
    Last edited by mossj; 15th May 2009 at 03:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Would be nice to get it working. Ubuntu won't download for me half of the apps from the ubuntu site though for some reason halfway through installation. Even though the site is included in the allowed list. Maybe still something to do with proxy, who knows. Not working for me though.

Thank Post
    We had some reall issues getting this to work between hardware types in relation to hard drives.

We have a sysprep image that support around 20 PCs and Laptops and we distribute via ghost.

For some reason we found that unless the image was sent to a machine with the same hardware and drive type then it would just be stuck at blinking cursor after rebooting. The data was on the drive, bt almso like there was no MBR there.

So I abandoned looking at it, has anyone else had this issue ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyx View Post
    We had some reall issues getting this to work between hardware types in relation to hard drives.

We have a sysprep image that support around 20 PCs and Laptops and we distribute via ghost.

For some reason we found that unless the image was sent to a machine with the same hardware and drive type then it would just be stuck at blinking cursor after rebooting. The data was on the drive, bt almso like there was no MBR there.

So I abandoned looking at it, has anyone else had this issue ?
    Not had that particular issue, but 2 things I found vitally important for it to work properly were
    1) FOG is told that the Host OS is Windows XP, and 2) The image type was set to "Single partition NTFS only - Resizeable" then it works flawlessly with windows XP. Initially I had the image type set differently and it didn't work properly, as soon as I selected this it worked.

The other thing that important to note is you must use the SYSPREP utility on your images prior to taking the snapshot with FOG, or you will run into trouble with SID's and the like, and also using across different hardware types - if you're not using sysprep, this could be your problem.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    then it works flawlessly with windows XP
    Does it play nice with Vista too? Dare I say it, but I'm thinking of moving that way later this year...

Thank Post
    Not had that particular issue, but 2 things I found vitally important for it to work properly were
    1) FOG is told that the Host OS is Windows XP, and 2) The image type was set to "Single partition NTFS only - Resizeable" then it works flawlessly with windows XP. Initially I had the image type set differently and it didn't work properly, as soon as I selected this it worked.

The other thing that important to note is you must use the SYSPREP utility on your images prior to taking the snapshot with FOG, or you will run into trouble with SID's and the like, and also using across different hardware types - if you're not using sysprep, this could be your problem.

Mike.
    I did all the things you suggested. How many PC/Combinations are you supporting with a single sysprep image on fog?

Thank Post
    Aye, it is.

I've been using it here for about 6 months now, and it is a genius program. When you get the fog service working on the clients and use the active directory feature it really comes into its own.
    Totally agree, Active Directory integration is brilliant, most of the other client features are great aswell e.g. green fog. The best open source software package around!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyx View Post
    I did all the things you suggested. How many PC/Combinations are you supporting with a single sysprep image on fog?
    I have one image that works on 3 different workstation types, but a majority of my other images were also spawned from 1 origenal image, we just have a few different ones with different software pre-installed etc. Bulk of machines range from Dell D510 laptops up to Core 2 Duo PCs recently purchased from Stone Computers, and it works on all of them without a hitch. Even our age old TC1100 tablet PCs work on it.

@Netman - I've never tried it on Vista, but the Fog website says it's fully supported, and it mentions Vista on several menus within the program, so I assume it works as I've not come across anyone saying it doesn't, although it begs the question how many people are actually running vista in a commercial environment and using fog? Not that many would be my guess.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I'd just like to say... WOW!

Got FOG set up this week using Debian on an old low spec server we weren't using. It's absolutely incredible, we've been such suckers for using Ghost all this time.

If you haven't tried it, I recommend you do, it's great

One thing I didn't quite like was the default setup that requires you to leave your mysql root password blank. I made a user for fog, with a password. Pretty much my only gripe... the speed the thing works at is incredible, it's about twice the speed of Ghost on our network.

Does anyone have any particular tips or tricks to do with FOG?
    Just like to say that I think FOG is awesome too!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiser View Post
    Would be nice to get it working. Ubuntu won't download for me half of the apps from the ubuntu site though for some reason halfway through installation. Even though the site is included in the allowed list. Maybe still something to do with proxy, who knows. Not working for me though.
    I'd be tempted to take the server home to try it on my unfiltered broadband connection if it was me... that's a bit ridiculous though!

What version of Ubuntu are you using?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky2k3 View Post
    Totally agree, Active Directory integration is brilliant, most of the other client features are great aswell e.g. green fog. The best open source software package around!
    Question - I'm a bit nervous about messing about with the active directory stuff. What exactly do you personally use it for? Does it work in conjunction with sysprep?

I could ask a similar question about the printer support.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast