+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
O/S Deployment Thread, FOG is AWESOME! in Technical; RPM? Excuse me, I need to puke......
    Thank Post
    RPM?

Excuse me, I need to puke...

Thank Post
    the last couple of days ive used pxelinux to create a PXE boot menu so i can choose between WinPE and linux based PreOS to run ghost, (still having trouble getting PC-DOS to work which is the main one i wanted).

Anyway I was wondering if i could add a fog option to this boot menu and run a fog server side by side for a while, i see that fog uses its own PXE menu but i'd like to keep mine, has anyone here done this??

Thank Post
    hi guys
    can i install FOG on my laptop with out active directory?
    i would like to use it my laptop with Fog just on any network.. thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by la_ley_10 View Post
    hi guys
    can i install FOG on my laptop with out active directory?
    i would like to use it my laptop with Fog just on any network.. thanks in advance
    I was wondering the same sort of thing ie if I partitioned my hard drive would it be possible to run fog to make an image of the installation of windows on a machine thats joined to the domain or when I re image it using the image created would I still have to join it to the domain etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I was wondering the same sort of thing ie if I partitioned my hard drive would it be possible to run fog to make an image of the installation of windows on a machine thats joined to the domain or when I re image it using the image created would I still have to join it to the domain etc
    You can install FOG on a laptop I would have though. You could use a VM or use a seperate partition...

The active directory joining is just a subset of FOG, which you don't need to turn on if you don't want to.

However, what might get you is DHCP conflicts - if you are using FOG on many different networks.
    FOG is setup with it's own DHCP server, or a PXE boot redirection from another DHCP server.
    If you use FOG in a portable manner, you'll have to unplug/disable the DHCP server on each network you visit.

If you image a machine that's already a domain member, that's no problem so long as you don't deploy the image to other machines, as the SIDs on those machines will be the same (you'll need to run sysprep to change the SIDs).
    Last edited by diggory; 6th August 2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: extra info..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenight639 View Post
    the last couple of days ive used pxelinux to create a PXE boot menu so i can choose between WinPE and linux based PreOS to run ghost, (still having trouble getting PC-DOS to work which is the main one i wanted).

Anyway I was wondering if i could add a fog option to this boot menu and run a fog server side by side for a while, i see that fog uses its own PXE menu but i'd like to keep mine, has anyone here done this??
    The closest I've got is to have a seperate subnet, which has different PXE boot options for the DHCP server. So some network sockets in our office are 'ghost' ports, whilst everthing else on the network uses FOG.
    Handy whilst we still have a few ghost images hanging around.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I created a dos disk that runs ghost off a network share. Wasn't too bad to get working.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I have been using FOG now for nearly 2 years, and I aggree it is a wonderful product.

I had I shopped around for many other solutions and asked dumb questions on numerous websites and from supposedly very smart people who where using all sort of complicated methods to deploy.

I read the manual thoroughly and took the plunge two years ago and have never looked back. Fog is just like Linux - "Elegant, Functional and Free". I have shown other school administrators FOG but they always seem to have some lame excuse why they cant use FOG, often they have invested too much in other solutions like Ghost which does not do half the things that FOG does.

Its great to see so many happy users.

Roland .

R0M
    Thank Post

Thumbs up

It seams like a kind of random time to bump this thread... But I couldnt agree more, I had also looked very closely at spending alot of money on Ghost, and had tried other free methods first such as booting to BartPE and using DriveImage XML and also using WDS with all my apps deployed via GPOs but nothing had been "streemline" at the time I was not a linux user at all, (now I use Ubuntu as my primary OS at home) but I though I'd try FOG (from the numerous recomendations on this sight) and WOW! Its great I can have a whole lab of 32 PCs re-imaged with all the software installed, renamed and connected to the domain in the correct OU in under an hour.

Its an exelent program, and I would recomend trying it even if you have just sunk a whole lot of money into Ghost and your not a Linux user.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345