+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, FOG is AWESOME! in Technical; Originally Posted by techyphil Rofl howdy batman! For the inept/lazy there's also a VMWare image @ around 600mb to be ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techyphil View Post
    Rofl howdy batman!

For the inept/lazy there's also a VMWare image @ around 600mb to be download and booted up all ready!

However, it is a few versions behind

I'll give the VMWare image ago first, but will definitely have ago at setting a box up properly nearer the holidays!

ch0w
    Chicken

Would you like me to build you an up to date VM?

Thank Post
    Har!

If you could do that, that would be highly appreciated! We're running VMWare Server and supports version 6+ of their hypervisor thingy.

How are you all getting on with SIMS now?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    I agree with the positive comments about FOG- an awesome piece of software, extemely useful, easy to use and quick. I'm not a unix natural, but was able to set it up pretty quick.

However, I stupidly installed the Ubuntu OS and FOG software on an HD with 40GB . You can guess where this is going.... Put 4 or 5 images onto it, and now no HD space left. I purchased a new HD with plenty of space, but wondered what the best way to perform an upgrade is?

I.E. How can I get FOG to use a different disk for storing images? Or do I need to take an image of the Ubuntu machine using something like CloneZilla, then put that image onto the new HD? Will this cause issues with Ubuntu? And does CloneZilla cope with imaging onto larger hard disks, not losing valuable space?

Thanks for your help.
    Not that I use FOG but there are instructions here for adding a new drive to an ubuntu system. Follow them up to the point of formatting the drive.

Mount the drive somewhere (create a dir first, say /home/tmp, then mount sdb1 /home/tmp)
    copy the images/file structure from the existing directory to /home/tmp (cp -R /from/* /home/tmp)
    unmount the new drive. Remove the files from the existing location. Mount the sdb1 where ever that was. Make an entry in /etc/fstab so that the drive mounts at boot time.

Check the permissions and ownership before you delete all the files and make sure you set them back when finished - see chown and chmod commands).

4. Thanks to pcstru from:

rocknrollstar (9th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can also set up another pc as a storage node.

6. Thanks to browolf from:

rocknrollstar (9th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree that FOG is awesome.

I have both FOG and WDS setup and have to say that I think FOG is superior.
    FOG reimaged machines that WDS would not (ie our old machines with less than 512mb), no messing around with NIC drivers as with gettting the deployment image running in WDS and deployment is faster.

Also you can put an image from a larger HD onto a smaller one (as long as it fits) which I believe you can't do with WDS (although feel free to correct me )

edit: oh and of course it does a lot more than just imaging: memory tests, disk testing and wiping and virus scanning.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 9th June 2009 at 09:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techyphil View Post
    Har!

If you could do that, that would be highly appreciated! We're running VMWare Server and supports version 6+ of their hypervisor thingy.

How are you all getting on with SIMS now?
    Ewww VMware... I much prefer virtualbox...

But they're both free so it's ok I'll put something together if I get the time.

SIMS is ok. Paul wants us to get it working on Windows 7. Crazy!!

Anyhow this is a bit OT, right?

Thank Post
    .E. How can I get FOG to use a different disk for storing images? Or do I need to take an image of the Ubuntu machine using something like CloneZilla, then put that image onto the new HD? Will this cause issues with Ubuntu? And does CloneZilla cope with imaging onto larger hard disks, not losing valuable space?
    Just to say thanks for the help on resizing my Fog server. An extra Storage node wasn't an option, as it requires another PC. Adding a new hard disk would be tricky, as FOG itself isn't very flexible with where images are stored (it seems you can change the directory, but not the disk).

In the end, I used Clonezilla to take an image of the 40gb drive (which has Ubuntu and FOG), installed the new 250gb hd, and then reimaged the larger drive. Had to use gparted to resize the partition on the new drive, to gain all the extra space. Worked a treat. I tried to use some partitioning utilities from UBCD for Windows, but wouldn't allow resizing this disk for some reason. However gparted wasn't fussed and did it very quickly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    I agree with the positive comments about FOG- an awesome piece of software, extemely useful, easy to use and quick. I'm not a unix natural, but was able to set it up pretty quick.

However, I stupidly installed the Ubuntu OS and FOG software on an HD with 40GB . You can guess where this is going.... Put 4 or 5 images onto it, and now no HD space left. I purchased a new HD with plenty of space, but wondered what the best way to perform an upgrade is?

I.E. How can I get FOG to use a different disk for storing images? Or do I need to take an image of the Ubuntu machine using something like CloneZilla, then put that image onto the new HD? Will this cause issues with Ubuntu? And does CloneZilla cope with imaging onto larger hard disks, not losing valuable space?

Thanks for your help.
    I actually did this today as I did the same mistake - well FOG kinda turned into a little play to a working imaging solution.

You can make a FOG storage node but why do that when you can just use a larger drive?

1) Formatted bigger drive for ubuntu
    2) Using clonezilla cloned the smaller drive over to the larger drive (didn't create image, it has a clone option from disk to disk)
    3) Voila worked perfectly no problems at all
    4) Got a spare disk with fog now as a backup : ) - tho maybe I shud put it on CD jst incase

Annoying thing will be to go round and set the boot options on all 700 odd devices. MMM I need a squad of I.T. prefects - 50.

Ok this was done from a 30 gig to a 250 gig which IMO is ample space for about 20 images probably, I cant remember how small you can make them. You can use sysprep with xp system tools (if adding to domain) which may help.
    Last edited by Jiser; 9th June 2009 at 08:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    2 things

1. it cant seem to add computers if the domain account already exists. in windows, so long as its the same (mac address I think) it just overwrites it

2. with ldap, do i have write more than 1 ou part if if the ou in question is inside other ous?

Thank Post
    can anyone send me a working link for fog? the sourceforge links seem to download a corrupt file

thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Use a different mirror?

Thank Post
    Found it floating about on my hard drive

I uploaded it here if you still can't get it from sourceforge, although if you keep trying you can probably get it. Sourceforge can be pretty slow quite often.

Thank Post
    How would fog work on a network with 2 domains?

If say there was an admin domain (With DHCP) on a different IP and subnet. And a Curriculum domain, how could it be used on the curriculum with no dhcp?.

Help would be good, cus it seams excellent.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    How would fog work on a network with 2 domains?

If say there was an admin domain (With DHCP) on a different IP and subnet. And a Curriculum domain, how could it be used on the curriculum with no dhcp?.

Help would be good, cus it seams excellent.
    Do they share the same cabling? If so, FOG will just pickup a number from the admin DHCP server for its purpose. Providing the FOG server is in the same subnet it will just work. It's irrelevant which IP range the machines will eventually end up in, as the imaging process is entirely separate to the OS.

If they don't share the same cabling, then FOG has the ability to act as a DHCP server which you could turn on just for the times when you're imaging. It doesn't function without DHCP, as you need DHCP in order to PXE boot the client.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyx View Post
    We had some reall issues getting this to work between hardware types in relation to hard drives.

We have a sysprep image that support around 20 PCs and Laptops and we distribute via ghost.

For some reason we found that unless the image was sent to a machine with the same hardware and drive type then it would just be stuck at blinking cursor after rebooting. The data was on the drive, bt almso like there was no MBR there.

So I abandoned looking at it, has anyone else had this issue ?

Have you resolved this problem? do all your clients have the same BIOS settings, ive had this problem when ghosting sometimes the odd machine will have AHCI enabled /disabled which can cause this.

FOG sounds awesome, wish id found this forum earlier Ive just written a batch file that runs VB scripts to rename machines by mobo serials reboot and join the domain. the network manager has set me up my own ghost server but its jurassic only running 512mb ram, so i might try FOG on it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast