+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, FOG is AWESOME! in Technical; Originally Posted by Batman I'd be tempted to take the server home to try it on my unfiltered broadband connection ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I'd be tempted to take the server home to try it on my unfiltered broadband connection if it was me... that's a bit ridiculous though!

What version of Ubuntu are you using?
    Ubuntu 8.10 Server here!

Thank Post
    Question - I'm a bit nervous about messing about with the active directory stuff. What exactly do you personally use it for? Does it work in conjunction with sysprep?

I could ask a similar question about the printer support.
    It joins a client to the active directory domain using the computer name and credentials on the fog server. It does take a bit of tweaking to get it to work though! It uses netdom on the client so we install Windows XP Support Tools on our images. It also requires an encrypted domain password and a modified dll file. You can find out how to do this on the wiki
    Last edited by clarky2k3; 15th May 2009 at 04:03 PM.

3. Thanks to clarky2k3 from:

Batman (15th May 2009)

Thank Post
    I installed it on Ubuntu 8.10 over the Easter holidays and used it to image a delivery of 70 machines. Made it incredibly painless . We've been using it since then to easily push out images to other PCs around the school.

Haven't played with the AD integration (haven't had the time ) - does anyone have a guide to getting the AD stuff to work?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    I installed it on Ubuntu 8.10 over the Easter holidays and used it to image a delivery of 70 machines. Made it incredibly painless . We've been using it since then to easily push out images to other PCs around the school.

Haven't played with the AD integration (haven't had the time ) - does anyone have a guide to getting the AD stuff to work?
    Look here

Thank Post
    Question - I'm a bit nervous about messing about with the active directory stuff. What exactly do you personally use it for? Does it work in conjunction with sysprep?

I could ask a similar question about the printer support.
    Basically it will automatically rename and add the machine to the network for you when you image the machine, therefore the process is entirely automated.

The important thing to do (and it's a bit of a gotcha unless you read the instructions carefully) is to make sure you have the Support Tools for XP installed on the workstation you're using the Fog AD integration on, or it won't work. (Specifically it uses the NetDom.exe program)

Also do not add it to the domain as part of your sysprep, just let it choose a random machine name and add it to a workgroup, FOG will do the rest.

you also have to use the FogCrypt program to encrypt your password that you program into the interface, we use a dedicated add2domain account for this.

Printer support I've not tried yet, and probably won't use as we have a nice VB script that does this for us, so I can't comment on how that works.

Mike.

Edit: Was writing this as other replies were made with the same info, sorry for duplicating!

7. Thanks to maniac from:

Batman (15th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Basically it will automatically rename and add the machine to the network for you when you image the machine, therefore the process is entirely automated.
    That sounds slick.... *Sticks his previous test server into the back of his fiesta, along with a couple of dvds*

How easy is it to install in ubuntu server with minimal experiance?
    Last edited by mossj; 15th May 2009 at 04:22 PM.

Thank Post
    We have quite a few ghost images here, what could i do with them? Can they be deployed using FOG or would we have to regather them?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    That sounds slick.... *Sticks his previous test server into the back of his fiesta, along with a couple of dvds*

How easy is it to install in ubuntu server with minimal experiance?
    It is very slick when a bunch of machines start up after sysprep has run, then re-boot having been renamed by FOG, then reboot again after being added to the domain, then they're ready to be used.

I installed it onto ubuntu with very little experience, and got it up and running it less than a day, so I'd say relatively easy. I'm still fairly new when it comes to linux, but what I've used and seen so far constantly impresses me.

Mike.

Thank Post
    I've just done a new image on my fog server, had to turn back on the High Contrast settings so visually impaired pupils can switch to it when they use a PC. The new image is 3GB and i deplyed it to 6 test machines in about 3 minutes total, the service renamed the PCs and added them to the domain. only thing we had to do was set a room key and for a gpupdate.

I love this software!

Thank Post
    FOG is awesome for what we need (I work with Soulfish above, btw). It had made our lives tremendously easier - we were using PBA before.

I'm going on the WDS Workshop run by our LEA though, in July, so it would be good to compare the two.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linkazoid View Post
    We have quite a few ghost images here, what could i do with them? Can they be deployed using FOG or would we have to regather them?
    I'm pretty sure FOG doesn't support ghost image files but it's fairly simple to transfer them. I had to do it once when the company I worked for switched from powerquest to ghost. You just have to deploy the image to any old machine using ghost and then take the image using FOG. Provided you don't boot the hard drive you will have an identical image in FOG at the end of it. If you've got a lot of images it will take a bit of time, but once you've done it you've done it.

You certainly don't need to rebuild anything, you don't even need the right machine for the image, all you're doing is transferring data.

Does that make sense?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    having a go at it myself. it seems freakin amazing!

Thank Post
    Got it working after a while. Had quite a few problems but hey! Works good now. Just imaging it over to a bigger drive now (if it works) so we have room for all the images.

Imaging the imaging server good times!

Thank Post
    Rofl howdy batman!

For the inept/lazy there's also a VMWare image @ around 600mb to be download and booted up all ready!

However, it is a few versions behind

I'll give the VMWare image ago first, but will definitely have ago at setting a box up properly nearer the holidays!

ch0w

Thank Post

Disk Space in FOG

I agree with the positive comments about FOG- an awesome piece of software, extemely useful, easy to use and quick. I'm not a unix natural, but was able to set it up pretty quick.

However, I stupidly installed the Ubuntu OS and FOG software on an HD with 40GB . You can guess where this is going.... Put 4 or 5 images onto it, and now no HD space left. I purchased a new HD with plenty of space, but wondered what the best way to perform an upgrade is?

I.E. How can I get FOG to use a different disk for storing images? Or do I need to take an image of the Ubuntu machine using something like CloneZilla, then put that image onto the new HD? Will this cause issues with Ubuntu? And does CloneZilla cope with imaging onto larger hard disks, not losing valuable space?

Thanks for your help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast