+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Cloning Windows Fundamentals in Technical; Hi all, I'm looking at building a few windows fundamental PC's to get the last little bit of life out ...
    Thank Post

Exclamation Cloning Windows Fundamentals

Hi all,

I'm looking at building a few windows fundamental PC's to get the last little bit of life out of them and need a way to clone them. I have tried WDS which we normally use but it gets stuck 3/4 of the way though the process. Does anyone know a good way of cloning fundamentals or getting it working on WDS. It gets stuck when you have to select a place for the image and upload it to the server. The buttons just don't do anything! It doesn't hang but I can't move forward as the browse button or connect button don't do anything. The only buttons that work at this point is the next and back buttons

Thank Post
    We use windows fundamentals here on our oldest laptops, for Imaging I sysprep them and use norton ghost to copy the Image. Never tried WDS for WFLP though - maybe try using Free Ghost?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Jones View Post
    We use windows fundamentals here on our oldest laptops, for Imaging I sysprep them and use norton ghost to copy the Image. Never tried WDS for WFLP though - maybe try using Free Ghost?
    Thanks what free ghost would you be talking about? I can find free trials but not a free product

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,449 Posts

Thank Post

Talking

we use Clonezilla here sometimes, but mostly WDS.

Just a thought though withj your WDS image creation are you remembering to creat a local copy of the image before you advance.

Where is says image location put something like

c:\imagename.wim

It will then create a local copy of the image and upload it to the server.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking at building a few windows fundamental PC's to get the last little bit of life out of them and need a way to clone them. I have tried WDS which we normally use but it gets stuck 3/4 of the way though the process. Does anyone know a good way of cloning fundamentals or getting it working on WDS. It gets stuck when you have to select a place for the image and upload it to the server. The buttons just don't do anything! It doesn't hang but I can't move forward as the browse button or connect button don't do anything. The only buttons that work at this point is the next and back buttons

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezwick View Post
    we use Clonezilla here sometimes, but mostly WDS.

Just a thought though withj your WDS image creation are you remembering to creat a local copy of the image before you advance.

Where is says image location put something like

c:\imagename.wim

It will then create a local copy of the image and upload it to the server.

Good luck
    Yeah that is what I would normally do but it doesn't let you type in the image location box (It's greyed out) and the browse button doesn't do anything

Thank Post
    Could it be a drivers issue, needing thirdparty sata drivers installed so i can access the HDD correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Yeah that is what I would normally do but it doesn't let you type in the image location box (It's greyed out) and the browse button doesn't do anything

Thank Post
    No I wouldn't think so... this is problems with windows fundamentals I think, and the machine is extremely old and not sata just your standard ide. On the screen before as well it asks for the volume to capture and you can select the drop down box and select the c:\ drive

Thank Post

Exclamation One problem solved another arises with AV

One problem solved another arises

I found a great solution in the end a kinda mashup of what I would do with WDS and clonezilla. The problem we had with clonezilla before was PC's from the same image clashing on the network it didn't seem to re-sid correctly or something. Anyway I used sysprep which I would normally use before doing a WDS image but then instead used clonezilla instead to create the image and it works great!

The whole reason I am doing this is because the machines have become to slow and need rebuilding and yes once rebuilt they do work a lot better. However as soon as I put Sophos on they are back to running like a dog again, so so slow.

Does anyone know of a light weight anti-virus program I could use for these PC's that is free and can be set to update though a ISA server?

Thanks
    FB

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread