+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, SCCM & WSUS. in Technical; Hi. Ive finally had the time over the last week to concentrate on getting SCCM working on our network. Now, ...

Thank Post

SCCM & WSUS.

Hi.
    Ive finally had the time over the last week to concentrate on getting SCCM working on our network.
    Now, ive got some of the easy stuff done, like asset management, software metering, ect;
    And after spending the better part of yesterday, ive finally got SCCM to see the WSUS server i setup just for its uses.

Problem is, that its starting to annoy me now.
    The WSUS server syncronises, and downloads all the updates ive told it too.
    SCCM sees these updates.
    The thing is, how the hell do i schedule SCCM to deploy these updates!

Ive created some deployment templates, for example 'XP Critical Updates'.
    But when i try to apply some of the updates to that template it asks for deployment packages!?

Now im reading the supposid adminstrators companion books that i got and its no clearer as to what im ment to do.

Surely im not ment to tell it where to MOVE the updates to prior to sending the updates to the clients, as thats just a waste of bandwidth and diskspace!
    Plus, if i give it a share to goto, it says access denyed as the error after its processed the updates for a while.

All i want to bloody do is get SCCM to auto-install all updates of a certain type at specific times of the day! .

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance all. .

Thank Post
    No luck still.

Ive got the wizard/s set to use our WSUS\UpdateDeploy share as its source.
    To use the a local share, the WSUS\WSUSContent, to get the updates from
    And to use our WSUS server as its distribution point.
    And ive reset all the permissions on every share thats references there to have our SCCM account on full control for it.

Now, instead of access denyed errors, i get 'cant find file' errors.

This is getting silly now. WTF do i have to do to get this dam thing working!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I'm a little confused what you're trying to do. It sounds like you have WSUS setup OK, so just configure the relevant GPOs so clients know where to look -

Computer Config > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm a little confused what you're trying to do. It sounds like you have WSUS setup OK, so just configure the relevant GPOs so clients know where to look -

Computer Config > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    Im using SCCM. Not strait WSUS.
    Im trying to get WSUS to integrate with SCCM correctly.

The problem is in the deployment packages at the moment, then after that, who knows.
    But its starting to annoy me now, as im following 100s of guides that say do this/that and none of them bloody work!

Thank Post
    There is no logic to this at all.
    If im selecting for the SUP to download off the internet, put the files into the source folder then distributing the files to the DPs, then what is the point in actually having WSUS installed on a WSUS server at all?
    When all that seems to completely bypass WSUS and download its updates itself, then put them on a share, that gets mirrored to another share, that the clients then access.....?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Do you get the reporting tools WSUS 3.0 offers? Such as updates installed, updates missing, types of updates/languages to install etc...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Do you get the reporting tools WSUS 3.0 offers? Such as updates installed, updates missing, types of updates/languages to install etc...
    Not to sound awkward, but this isnt about WSUS exactely. Its more of an SCCM issue, as it can see the WSUS server and the WSUS server can get its sync updates fine.

If i set the distribution packages to get off the internet rarther than a local network machine, then it does appear to get all the packages it needs. But, as ive touched on, that sorta defeats the idea of having WSUS there, as specifyed in all the guides ive seen....
    Last edited by boomam; 27th February 2009 at 01:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Are they on seperate servers? or a combined wsus/sccm server...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boomam View Post
    Not to sound awkward, but this isnt about WSUS exactely. Its more of an SCCM issue, as it can see the WSUS server and the WSUS server can get its sync updates fine.

If i set the distribution packages to get off the internet rarther than a local network machine, then it does appear to get all the packages it needs. But, as ive touched on, that sorta defeats the idea of having WSUS there, as specifyed in all the guides ive seen....

We have the same setup, but let WSUS deploy the updates - SCCM holds the setting and config for the clients. Once the clients see the WSUS, WSUS dictates the updates/auto-updates.

Thank Post
    Did the OP (or anyone) actually sort this out?

I would like to run a single server for SCCM and WSUS but the SCCM-integrated WSUS instance doesn't seem 'right'. For instance, the full product-set doesn't appear for me and stuff.

I'm currently running two servers - one for SCCM and one for WSUS with GPOs dictating the WSUS settings - and would like to just have the SCCM box doing the lot because AFAIK it should work 'better'.

Thank Post
    I've rebuilt my wsus/sccm box a couple of times and always had them working without much (if any) hassle.
    Once wsus is installed, we tell sccm which updates to and products to download (the 'ticks' kept disappearing from the wsus console) and the settings stick.
    Settings are in sccm->Site Settings->Component Configuration->Software Update Point Component

Reports and approvals are still done in WSUS.

Not sure if that helps any!

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Did the OP (or anyone) actually sort this out?

I would like to run a single server for SCCM and WSUS but the SCCM-integrated WSUS instance doesn't seem 'right'. For instance, the full product-set doesn't appear for me and stuff.

I'm currently running two servers - one for SCCM and one for WSUS with GPOs dictating the WSUS settings - and would like to just have the SCCM box doing the lot because AFAIK it should work 'better'.

Thank Post
    This is how I've installed it:
    It also took me some time to figure it out, especially the beta was bugged here, but this is the way to do it:

1. Install WSUS 3.0 and abort the wizzard after the installation (= Don't configure anything in WSUS)
    2. Install the "ConfigMgr Software Update Point" Role and configure your proxy settings (I assume thats the missing step)
    3. Configure Software Update Point Component: "Active software update point on site server" and "Synchronize from Microsoft Update".
    Make sure the ports are correct (and select the updates you wish to receive - the product list will be updated after the first sync)

So the highest Software Update Point in the hierarchy needs a local WSUS installation and takes it completly over,
    you will notice that the settings in SCCM will be reflected on the WSUS Console...
    From WSUS and SCCM 2007 on Same Server

Thank Post
    @jc1875: That looks like what I did but things just didn't seem right... for instance the incomplete update list.

I'll have another look tomorrow... hopefully I was having a bad day when I tried it last.

Thank Post
    Had another bash at this and this is what I keep getting:

SMS WSUS Configuration Manager failed to configure upstream server settings on WSUS Server "SCCM".

Possible cause: WSUS Server version 3.0 SP1 and above is not installed or cannot be contacted.
    Solution: Verify that the WSUS Server version 3.0 SP1 or greater is installed. Verify that the IIS ports configured in SMS are same as those configured on the WSUS IIS website.
    The port settings are correct (checked twice!) and I think I would have noticed not installing it!

Thank Post
    I wonder where it thinks you're using an upstream server? it's not 'activate software update point on remote server' thats enabled is it (mine is greyed out).

port numbers are the same as the wsus admin page - although I don't have 'enable ssl for this wsus server' enabled on my software update point component properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Had another bash at this and this is what I keep getting:

The port settings are correct (checked twice!) and I think I would have noticed not installing it!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast