+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, **Imaging Windows XP/Vista on Intel Mac** in Technical; Hello All. I felt the need to put another topic online on how to image windows onto a Intel Apple ...
    Thank Post

Cool **Imaging Windows XP/Vista on Intel Mac**

Hello All. I felt the need to put another topic online on how to image windows onto a Intel Apple Mac. I advise first that you attempt to image a Apple mac with my other topic on imaging OSX with net restore. Click HERE to see the topic i am referencing too. You can see this article on How-To-Mac by visiting: http://www.howtomac.co.uk/index.php?...d=24&Itemid=29

**All Downloads are now working** http://www.howtomac.co.uk/index.php?...cman&Itemid=38

First you will need to setup a bootcamped OS X Apple Mac. Due to licensiing this can only be done with OS X leopard 10.5. Once you have set up a bootcamped leopard installation you need to install windows and configure it to your liking. Once you have configured Windows XP/Vista to your liking you now need to take a copy of the operating system into a image file. To do this you will need to log into OS X and use the net Restore helper. You can find Net Restore by going to my websites download area. Once you are in Net Restore helper you need to first unlock the program by clicking on the pad lock at the bottom of the page.

Now on the Net Restore Helper program you need to select your master Disk. In most cases bootcamp drives are called "Untitled" or even "Windows". If you do not see the NTFS drive you will need to install a little program which allows NetRestore to see the drive. This program is called NTFSPROG which can be found on my download area on my site.

Once all above is completed you then need to click the create Master Image. You will then be asked where you wish to save the image file i would advice you store it onto a Firewire drive or even the /NetBootPS0 Share on your mac server and putting it into the resources/Disk Image folder.

Once the image has completed being taken you can now set up a Net Install Set. To do this you need to click the Create NetInstall Set tab at the top of the NetRestore helper. In the Name Field for this demo i will be using the name "Windows XP SP2 14_02_2008" For Image ID "12" for Description "Windows XP with SP2". Now all the fields are completed you can have the option to set more advanced settings. If you have used the other topic regarding Imaging OS X it explains in more details on what advance settings can offer you.

Now you have set the NetInstall set settings you can now click Save NetInstall-Restore Set. You will now be asked where you wish to install the NetInstall Set. I would advice you install the net install set to the NetBootPS0 Share on your Mac Server.

Near the end of the NetInstall set being made you will be asked if you wish to configure net restore say yes to this. You will then have the NetRestore tool open up. Within this you can set the options for the NetInstall for automated imaging. To do this you will need to go to Netrestore menu and then click preferences. If you wish to set a specificate image to install click under default configuration and select "Specify dynamic item.." Another box will appear and in this box you will need to name the image which you made. In this case I would put in "Windows XP SP2 14_02_2008.ntfs" Then click OK. If you wish to have full automation just click the Enable Full Automation Box. You also hav ea few other options to the right you can chose this if you like i tend to solect restart when finish and set target as boot disk. Seeing as you are imaging a NTFS Drive i would suggest you set the Target drive to "Untitled" depending on how your macs are setup with bootcamp.

When done just click save and you can then quit the NetRestore Utility.

when the Net Install Set has finished installing you need to tweak the net install set a slight bit. To do this you need to have a package called NTFSPROG.PKG. You can find this package in my Download area on my site. When you have downloaded NTFSPROG.PKG you need to set of the Installation. When asked which drive you wish to install the program on you need to select the NetInstall Disk image. This program will set up the NetInstall to be able to read NTFS partitions. Once you have finished the installation you can eject and unmount the NetInstall-Set Disk image.

Now you have done all the above you now need to enable the image on server admin. To do this just go into the server admin software on the server and select the "NetBoot" service. You then need to go to the bottom tab and select settings and after that then select images. In this menu you will see the image which we named ealier. You will have the option to enable and make it default. if you make the image default any client machine which presses N on startup will start installing this image. If not selected within the Startup pane in System Preferences you can just select a image you want to install. When completed just click apply when your done.

That is how you use Net Restore to do Windows XP imaging.
    What can i say another quiet day in the office

Let me know if any of the above confuses you. Next topic i intend to make will be on doing multi tasking on net Restore. For example setting a image to install OSX first then bootcamp the drive and install Windows.

Enjoy

Ross
    Last edited by Rozzer; 14th February 2008 at 01:44 PM.

2. 2 Thanks to Rozzer:

dougchase (17th November 2008), gaz350 (14th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Good job,

I've been struggling to image windows successfully. machines have been failing to boot,with a Blinking Cursor, any ideas?

Its our half term next week, 29 days of holiday to take so dont know when im going to get another attempt at this kind of stuff! especially as me and the network manager have 49 days between us, and 1 of us have to be here!

Thank Post
    How are you installing XP/Vista onto the macs?

Are you installing the Bootcamp drivers?

What stage are they having the blinking cursors?

Ross

Thank Post
    im using bootcamp, initial setup is fine.

but after installing the image on a machine and booting to windows the screen goes black and just sits there with the blinking cursor before you'd expect the windows loading screen to pop up. like it cant find what to boot from.

Thinking about it now i was using a Fat32 windows partition on the initial install, wonder if thats the problem. was a few months ago i last tried so cant remember exactly.

Thank Post
    That sounds like its not using the correct partition table. Can you do me a fav Go to disk utility in the utitlites folder.

Click on the root drive and at the bottom it will say "Partition Map Scheme - XXXXXX" Can you post the XXXXXX result.

Thanks,

Ross

Thank Post
    If you could would you be able to extend the article to perform the restore of the XP partition as a post-install of the OS X partition?

I have tried to get this working now a few times but each time it just fails.

I am not quite sure if i am configuring net-restore correctly and setting the scripts properly or even putting them in the correct post-restore folder to run when needed.

Hope you can.
    Thanks.

PS. Between the folks that do this sort of thing automatically we would get a decent wiki created on the subject since the info on this side is pretty sparse.

Thank Post
    No problem it can be quite fiddle but i will see what i can do.

Ross

Thank Post
    I will try to help in any way i can, although it may not be very much.

What i would like to achieve is the following. I am sure it can be done.

You use Net-restore to build the network images for both OS X and Xp (which by the way is now up to 3.4.1 and supports leopard builds) and then create the net insall sets. Configure the Netboot on the server to deploy the OS X image by default.

Add Xp as a post-restore option so when it finishes the OS X install it starts the XP one without intevention.

I would like the OS X to post-restore the Computer information from a CSV script that has the Hardware information to pull the right computer name down and change all computer specific information. This part can be done.

I would like to set the XP partition as bootable once finished and allow it to restart into XP and then run a run once script that configures the XP build and joins it to the domain.

The last part i am not sure as to how to go about it. I don't know much about scripting windows to join to a domain after install on its own. I assume you could do it through wmi or something like that.

In the end it would add the computer to the right OU to then deploy software to the machine thus giving a completely automated dual-boot system installation.

I haven't got any where near this yet. I am just happy that i can deploy both manually at the moment.

Thank Post
    Your Better of doing a pre-script which will partition the Macintosh HD drive and the Windows drive. you then get OS X to install with the NetRestore gui and you then do a post script which will restore the NTFS drive.

I will get something more easier to read explain it a bit more easier.

Ross

Thank Post
    I understand what you say it is just that i never get it to run the post-restore script.

I currently use the provided bootcamp script modified to split the HDD exactly 50% for each (160Gb HDD) and thats as much as i can do.

I have tried to put the XP image in the AFP share and get the ntfs-restore.sh to run as a post script and this is where i am stuck.

It is around this area that i could do with some help to clarify things such as where do i put the .ntfs file used to restore the XP partition? Does it go into the resources images folder so it can mount with Net-restore?
    Is it acceptable to place it in the IMages apf share where it can be found since the share is mounted to provide the OS X image?

If this could be clarified then it would be excellent.

Obviously as i said i would help as much as possible. I may even produce a video of the whole process so as people can see just how to do it.

PS. Site works quite well on an iPhone. You get the PDA/ mobile version so can see without scrolling.
    Last edited by HodgeHi; 20th February 2008 at 02:41 PM.

Thank Post
    #ntfs_image="/tmp/netboot/Resources/Disk Images/windows.ntfs"
    #ntfs_image="/Volumes/Disk Images/windows.ntfs"
    ntfs_image=""
    Just add the NTFS image in "ntfs_image="/tmp/netboot/Resources/Disk Images/windows.ntfs "

Thats if you have put the NTFS image in the resources folder.

Ross

Thank Post
    Does each image you create have its own resource folder?

I have put all dmgs all in the same place (not in their own unique folder) and they all share the one resource folder if you get what i mean. It has been a while since i created the last one.

It is this part where the confusion creeps in.

Do i need to do anything to the ntfs post-restore script to make it run ie set the executable bit?

Sorry for all the questions just it has been niggling me for a while now and would love to get it working.

Thank Post
    All you need to do is put all the disk images and NTFS disk images in the resource/Disk Images folder.

Ross

Thank Post
    You Rock NetRestore!!
    Just wanted to add that ntfsclone is another approach to capturing your XP image. I have some hefty little scripts for capturing and deploying if anyone's interested.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by petroz View Post
    You Rock NetRestore!!
    Just wanted to add that ntfsclone is another approach to capturing your XP image. I have some hefty little scripts for capturing and deploying if anyone's interested.
    I am new to Macs and would like to know how to transfer a dual OS master image to the rest of the mcas, I have a master Mac with OSX and Win XP, used bootpicker to have the option of both OSs at logon. I tried to tansfer the image from that master Mac onto another mac, evrything transfered fine but when I click to logon to windows xp, it restarts to try to do just that and it stops at flashing cursar and black screen and hangs there. Could you please let me know how to make the win xp image bootable?

Thanks a lot

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread