+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
O/S Deployment Thread, Quick question of Independent XP Images in Technical; Originally Posted by srochford 1. Are you putting Daemon Tools on the image - if so, we run this as ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    1. Are you putting Daemon Tools on the image - if so, we run this as part of the machine startup:

- this [script from previous post] removes the device and then does a rescan. Devcon is an MS download (and very useful!)
    Bingo bongo! That may be the ticket - I'll check next week.

Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    2. powercfg is your friend:

Code:
      sCmd="powercfg /setactive ""home/office desk"""
      oShell.run sCmd
    - choose your power saving scheme as appropriate.

(both are script fragments - you need
    Code:
    set oShell=createobject("wscript.shell")
    somewhere at the start)
    Yeah, I'd thought this would be the answer but my scripting skills are not great and I couldn't find any suitable examples when I searched. Thank you!

Dave.

Thank Post
    Ok, I took my image for a trial today... and several things happened.

1. When I used the Standard PC HAL, I couldn't use ANY pointing devices - not even a COM mouse... so I had to work out where all the hal files were since Microsoft don't update their site to move from drivers.cab\halmacpi.dll to sp2.cab\halmacpi.dll...

2. After getting it back, I forgot to use a uniprocessor HAL, so it wouldn't go on half the PC's...

3. I forgot to omit computername in the inf so that it would (hopefully) ask me for it.

4. none of my drivers installed

5. I suspect there's slightly more to it than just extracting the Dell Rxxxxxx.exe's to C:\Dell\drivers and pointing OEMPnPDriversPath to these folders....

On the other hand, it went on the same spec machines happily, I just had to go around and install the NIC drivers, push netsupport to them, then use NSS to run the driver install wizards

Bring on Vista! then I won't have to smash something

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    Ok, I took my image for a trial today... and several things happened.

4. none of my drivers installed

5. I suspect there's slightly more to it than just extracting the Dell Rxxxxxx.exe's to C:\Dell\drivers and pointing OEMPnPDriversPath to these folders....

On the other hand, it went on the same spec machines happily, I just had to go around and install the NIC drivers, push netsupport to them, then use NSS to run the driver install wizards
    When you extract the Rxxxxx.exe downloads from Dell, you should end up with a folder containing a series of files and folders as shown in the first attached screenshot.

One of these folders will be named WinXP or similar and in there will be the '.cat', '.inf', and '.sys' files as shown in the second screenshot. These are the only files that are usually required for unattended installation.

I place these files in a folder such as C:\Drivers\Dell\GX520\NIC and specify the same path in the 'OEMPnPDriversPath' section of my sysprep.inf file so that I end up with:

Code:
    OemPnPDriversPath=Drivers\Dell\755\Chipset;Drivers\Dell\755\Audio;Drivers\Dell\755\Modem;Drivers\Dell\755\Video;Drivers\Dell\755\NIC;Drivers\Dell\D505\Chipset;Drivers\Dell\D505\Audio;Drivers\Dell\D505\Modem;Drivers\Dell\D505\Video;Drivers\Dell\D505\NIC;Drivers\Dell\D510\Chipset;Drivers\Dell\D510\Audio;Drivers\Dell\D510\Modem;Drivers\Dell\D510\Video;Drivers\Dell\D510\NIC;Drivers\Dell\D510\Wireless;Drivers\Dell\D520\Chipset;Drivers\Dell\D520\Audio;Drivers\Dell\D520\Modem;Drivers\Dell\D520\Video;Drivers\Dell\D520\NIC;Drivers\Dell\D520\Wireless;Drivers\Dell\GX520\Chipset;Drivers\Dell\GX520\Audio;Drivers\Dell\GX520\Modem;Drivers\Dell\GX520\Video;Drivers\Dell\GX520\NIC
        InstallFilesPath=C:\
        ConfirmHardware=No
        OverwriteOemFilesOnupgrade=No
        DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
        oempreinstall=yes
        updateInstalledDrivers=Yes
    Sysprep will not recursively search subfolders so you must copy all required files into the top level folder you have specified in 'OemPnPDriversPath'

Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Thanks to djones from:

Lithium (17th February 2008)

Thank Post
    If I have InstallFiles pointing to C:\sysprep...

Where I specify in OEMPnP... Will it make it C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Dell\745\NIC ?

or something else?

Thank Post
    Yes, you would obviously then need to place the 'Drivers' folder under the 'sysprep' folder as you have said.

Your 'sysprep.inf' would look something like this:

Code:
    OemPnPDriversPath=Drivers\Dell\745\NIC
        InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep
        ConfirmHardware=No
        OverwriteOemFilesOnupgrade=No
        DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
        oempreinstall=yes
        updateInstalledDrivers=Yes
    *** Note the absence of the 'C:\sysprep\' part in the OEMPnPDriversPath ***

However, I tried to do this first too thinking that as the 'sysprep' folder would be automatically deleted, it would tidy things up nicely. Unfortunately, not all my drivers appeared to be installing in time or needed the first reboot to happen completely which, as mini-setup deleted the 'sysprep' folder, caused a few issues. I'm not sure whether this was actually the problem but once I had moved the 'Drivers' folder to the root of the drive and specified 'InstallFilesPath=' as 'C:\' everything seemed to go swimmingly.

Dave.
    Last edited by djones; 17th February 2008 at 07:38 PM.

7. Thanks to djones from:

Lithium (17th February 2008)

Thank Post
    I am trying this on a single core laptop Toshiba L10 and then imaging to a Lenovo N500(multicore). It gets stuck straight after the windows bootloader i.e. where safe mode is. No hdd activity or anything just a black screen

At a bit of a loss on this one. Laptops drive is in IDE mode and not AHCI. Are the HAL's supposed to be copied to the disk somewhere? I put them in various other files in sysprep/i386

Any ideas?

Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    Here's how I do it, and I've yet to have it fail on desktop or laptop.

Install XP, install your apps etc, get the whole shooting match fettled to your taste.

Then go into device manager, click "Computer", and update driver. select to pick your own, and then pick "Standard PC". Let it reboot and do all the "redetect hardware" jazz.

At this point you have an utterly non-ACPI setup. Basic of basic. Will boot and run on anything at all. Create your Sysprep.inf (or copy it over if you already have it).

Make sure in there is this section:

[Unattended]
    OemSkipEula=Yes
    UpdateUPHAL=ACPIPIC_UP,%systemroot%\inf\hal.inf
    InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS

The "UpdateUPHAL" line is the important one. It tells Sysprep that on completion of deployment, it's to go and use the most suitable HAL it has.

After doing this alteration, start up command prompt, and go to the sysprep directory. Type "Sysprep -bmsd" to build the mass storage driver list.

Copy any machine specific drivers to the designated directory you specify, then disable swap file, nuke hibernate and clear down sys restore etc, reboot.

Once it comes back up, I fire up Sysprep and Reseal. Then ghost it once Sysprep is done.

This has seen me through the last 2 0706 and all my new 0707 revision builds, deployed on Intel and AMD, Single or Multicore core, P2 through to X2/C2D, all without issue.

I just wish the LEA would pick up on it..heh..their builds were often failing to boot on certain hardware types, and they used to release different images for different hardware.

My 0707 R4 build beats theirs to login by 30 seconds, runs a hell of a lot faster/smoother, and comes in at just under 2gb ghost size..their 0707 release to "non-own build" schools comes in at 6. We'd never go back now.
    Last edited by robbie-w; 24th April 2009 at 03:15 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12