+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Integrating MDT into SCCM in Technical; As I'm sure that those who use it will know, you can integrate MDT into SCCM . What I'm not ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Integrating MDT into SCCM

As I'm sure that those who use it will know, you can integrate MDT into SCCM. What I'm not so clear on is to the benefits that doing this gives you. I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth the effort?

My SCCM task sequences are relatively basic but they work well. What will introducing MDT into the equation give me?

Thank Post
    As someone who's introducing ConfigMgr 2012 R2 at the moment I'd like to understand this better too. I've been using MDT for a couple of years and have got deployment to a fine art, with applications targeted to departments, machines to OUs (allowing them to pick up the right printers through GPO), machines added to security groups, GPO application inhibited during deployment and so on. My understanding is that I can continue to use all these nice things in an SCCM environment, rather than having to make do with the limited OSD that SCCM includes.

What I'm not too sure about is how easy it is to import existing task sequences.

I think, to answer your question, if SCCM out of the box does the job for you then maybe you don't need MDT. But, as I recently heard someone say in this context, if a car dealer offered to throw in the sports kit for free then why wouldn't you take it? An MDT TS is no harder to set up (so far as I know) but can be much more flexible.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birchanger View Post
    But, as I recently heard someone say in this context, if a car dealer offered to throw in the sports kit for free then why wouldn't you take it? An MDT TS is no harder to set up (so far as I know) but can be much more flexible.
    Thanks for your response. The trouble with that statement is that there is no context. What does the sports kit on the car do for me? Are there any tangible benefits? Does it give the car the ability to do something which it couldn't before? If all the sports kit did was stiffen the suspension and stick a stupid spoiler on the back (on a front wheel drive car, lol) I think I'd pass even if they were giving it away for free. If it gave you things like traction control or better brakes then maybe I'd take it.

How is MDT more flexible? What does it give me which plain SCCM doesn't? I've looked but I've never found a satisfactory answer to that question. They always seem to come back to the frustratingly vague "It's more flexible" statement.

I've been using MDT for a couple of years and have got deployment to a fine art, with applications targeted to departments, machines to OUs (allowing them to pick up the right printers through GPO), machines added to security groups, GPO application inhibited during deployment and so on.
    I'm doing all of that already apart from the GPO app deployment. SCCM is handling that instead.
    Last edited by Norphy; 13th August 2014 at 02:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,834 Times in 2,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    How is MDT more flexible?
    This may answer your question.

www.edugeek.net/forums/o-s-deployment/108360-sccm-2012-image-capure-help.html#post928140

Thank Post
    So which do I install first MDT or SCCM?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    SCCM first then MDT.

Still not convinced by that post that Arthur put up either. CopyProfile works fine for me with no complicated scripting. Watching the video though.

Thank Post
    This is a nice video which touches on the subject. Well worth watching.
    Deploying Windows 8/8.1 with SCCM 2012 R2 | Techdays 2014 the Netherlands | Channel 9

Thank Post
    It depends how automated/complicated you want your osd.
    You can automate pretty much everything. However it may take you more time to automate something which takes 5 mins if you do it manually.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread