+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, OS deployment at different sites / domains, is this possible? in Technical; I am after a deployment method / server that will allow me to create an image and then when I ...

Thank Post

OS deployment at different sites / domains, is this possible?

I am after a deployment method / server that will allow me to create an image and then when I am at a new location be able to deploy the image. Currently using CloneZilla from a USB key and this does work but feels a bit dated and clunky. I like WDS but this seems to be domain dependant which is no good for me.

What I really want is something I can run from my laptop, so I can update the image easily and deploy at whichever site I am at.

Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    mdt/wds can you would just need to reupload the image to the appropriate server. I make my images at home on a vm (i5 with ssd makes it soo much faster) then use the same base image (windows + updates + office) in multiple schools)

Thank Post
    mdt/wds can you would just need to reupload the image to the appropriate server. I make my images at home on a vm (i5 with ssd makes it soo much faster) then use the same base image (windows + updates + office) in multiple schools)
    So is it the mdt part that makes this possible as I have tried moving images between wds servers without any joy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    So is it the mdt part that makes this possible as I have tried moving images between wds servers without any joy.
    you can do with just wds you just have to export the image you cant file copy it

Thank Post
    With server 2012 you can have a standalone wds. Set up MDT with a local account for accessing the share. Domain join will be tricky as you will have to change the domain join credentials based on school. You also need the same IP address otherwise MDT will get confused.

Thank Post
    I use MDT and think it's great. Be warned that it does have a learning curve, especially if you have to learn how to create silent installers for it. I happen to use open source Fog to push the images out, but I'm wondering how many you will want to do at once? There is an option, which I haven't tried, to get MDT to write everything you need to external media, which you then simply need to boot from. In the simple case you could use a USB thumb drive.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread