+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Sccm 2012 R2 - Deployment issues with Windows 7 X64 in Technical; Hi , seem to be having a few problems with this .. Everything seems setup correctly and the machine gets ...

Thank Post

Sccm 2012 R2 - Deployment issues with Windows 7 X64

Hi ,

seem to be having a few problems with this .. Everything seems setup correctly and the machine gets imaged with our pre-made Windows 7 Wim file . ( which is X 64 )

The problem is even though it is specified in the task sequence , the computers administrator password is not set , also the computer is not joined to the domain ( despite the credentials being correct )

I have used the console during deployment to make sure the PC gets an IP address , which it does .

Any one experienced this ? , im tempted to try a x86 image to see if it happens with that

Thanks

Thank Post
    Sounds like the account to join the domain doesn't have enough permissions. Have you set the account up correctly?

Thank Post
    Account is fine , im using a domain admin account as a test . verify also works .

I'm thinking it could be my deployment image , as we have OEM licences , i have installed the certificates and activated in cmd prompt ? ( so is effectively a oem machine )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2097 View Post
    Account is fine , im using a domain admin account as a test . verify also works .

I'm thinking it could be my deployment image , as we have OEM licences , i have installed the certificates and activated in cmd prompt ? ( so is effectively a oem machine )
    Could be drivers? By default task sequences list the network settings above the driver installation. Rearrange that so that it installs the drivers before the network settings and see if that does the trick, and ensure the network driver for that machine is in the driver package you're using.

While you get an IP in the SCCM console after PXE, it tries to use the network driver once the OS is deployed, so could be going wrong there

Thank Post
    i have tried drivers applied during the sequence and also added them to the boot image , i have also rearrange the task sequence multiple ways .

I find it strange it does not activate the Administrator account also !

Thank Post
    Just tried it myself. Not going to be any help as I also got the same problem with the local admin account

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagima View Post
    Just tried it myself. Not going to be any help as I also got the same problem with the local admin account
    Did yours manage to join to the domain ? i can live without the default Administrator account.

Thank Post
    Yes it domain joins fine which is probably one reason why I haven't noticed it before as I just logged in as me.

Thank Post
    Ok , i just deployed a straight Windows 7 image using SCCM .. and it worked fine .

But if i have installed windows 7 on the machine already ( using a CD ) , customized the OS and used the catcher CD to make a WIM and then deploy that image ... none of the rest of the task sequence works such as changing PC name , re-enable the Admin or join domain )

is this normal for 2012 ? , with 2007 and XP i could build a image on a machine and catcher the WIM and deploy with SCCM

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2097 View Post
    Ok , i just deployed a straight Windows 7 image using SCCM .. and it worked fine .

But if i have installed windows 7 on the machine already ( using a CD ) , customized the OS and used the catcher CD to make a WIM and then deploy that image ... none of the rest of the task sequence works such as changing PC name , re-enable the Admin or join domain )

is this normal for 2012 ? , with 2007 and XP i could build a image on a machine and catcher the WIM and deploy with SCCM
    I can't speak for certainty, but when i first started using SCCM i was lead to believe that you couldn't import your existing WIM images. I think there is a way to do what you want (not that i've tried, as i just create an installer for everything and have whatever software is required installed via task sequence) but i think it involves imaging a machine with SCCM then modifying it, syspreping it etc. Again though, years since i did that and i haven't looked into it. Be interesting to see what you discover though.

Thank Post
    I don't usually use the physical disc for the base install. I import the wim from the dvd iso and set the task sequence to install it to the c drive with uk locale. I then customise that with the software that is on all the computers (office, flash, java etc) and capture it. Then I create a new task sequence based on the build and capture sequence, delete the capture bits and amend the build bits (such as setting it to deploy the 2-2 image from the wim that I just created and setting the local admin password). That task sequence then becomes the admin/office computer task sequence and I copy it and add install software steps for the classroom teacher machines. I have second image, based on that one, done for the ICT suites in the same way with extra bits added onto the copied task sequence for room specific software and to put it on the domain in the correct ou.

Saying that, however, I am 99% certain I have done an image from the x86 dvd that I have captured and redeployed without incident using sccm 2012. I am pretty sure I haven't done it with the x64 disc

You might want to try just amending the build and capture task sequence and seeing if that works rather than creating one from scratch if you haven't already done so.

If you like I can send you screen shots of my build task sequences
    Last edited by Sagima; 9th July 2014 at 04:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagima View Post
    I don't usually use the physical disc for the base install. I import the wim from the dvd iso and set the task sequence to install it to the c drive with uk locale. I then customise that with the software that is on all the computers (office, flash, java etc) and capture it. Then I create a new task sequence based on the build and capture sequence, delete the capture bits and amend the build bits (such as setting it to deploy the 2-2 image from the wim that I just created and setting the local admin password). That task sequence then becomes the admin/office computer task sequence and I copy it and add install software steps for the classroom teacher machines. I have second image, based on that one, done for the ICT suites in the same way with extra bits added onto the copied task sequence for room specific software and to put it on the domain in the correct ou.

Saying that, however, I am 99% certain I have done an image from the x86 dvd that I have captured and redeployed without incident using sccm 2012. I am pretty sure I haven't done it with the x64 disc

You might want to try just amending the build and capture task sequence and seeing if that works rather than creating one from scratch if you haven't already done so.

If you like I can send you screen shots of my build task sequences
    If you don't mind , could you please post your task seq screenshots

Thank Post
    Does the PC when imaged have a IP address/ network activity ? The boot images in sccm 2012 r2 are win pe 5.1 which is win 8.1 .They have many more nic drivers than win 7. You must add the drivers to sccm and put them in driver packages.

Other than that it sounds like the client isn't installing.

Try building a VM. Or post the smsts.log .

Thank Post
    Attached. The task sequences are modified from the build and capture task sequence. I've just shown the ones I've made changes to

build1.JPGbuild2.JPGdeploy captured image properties.JPGdeploy1.JPGdeploy2.JPGdeploy3.JPGwin7x64 install properties.JPG

Thank Post
    In earlier versions of sccm 2012 I found that if you dont have the fqdn for the domain join user account it can fail to join the pc to the domain. Though it sounds like drivers or lack of a nic driver for windows 7. You can try imaging a pc. Let it fail then use Trinity Rescue Kit | CPR for your computer to enable the administrator account. You can then see if the nic driver has installed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast