+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Sysprep? in Technical; Hey Guys Setup WDS thanks to all of you and the helpful links. Everything is working I can deploy Images ...

Thank Post

Sysprep?

Hey Guys

Setup WDS thanks to all of you and the helpful links. Everything is working I can deploy Images and Capture Images just fine, although one final issue.

Before WDS will allow you to capture the client Image you must first Sysprep the machine, So I did, I booted into the client Sysprepped with Generalize ticked and Out Of The Box Experience selected. Problem being is it has removed all the third party drivers I had installed for things like the GPU, Chipset, Card Reader and more.

Is there anyway to include the drivers? Thus stopping Sysprep from deleting them?

Cheers Guys

Thank Post
    you need to add something to sysprep to tell it not to do this ive included one of my syprep.xml files for you to peruse lol with the bit in question marked in red. Also i run sysprep from command line like below(i always shutdown rather than reboot that way if i get distracted it dosent start booting windows again)

go to c:\windows\system32\sysprep\

sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.xml

[code]
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
    <settings pass="generalize">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <DoNotCleanUpNonPresentDevices>true</DoNotCleanUpNonPresentDevices>
    <PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>
    </component>
    </settings>
    <settings pass="specialize">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <DisableFirstRunWizard>true</DisableFirstRunWizard>
    <DisableAccelerators>true</DisableAccelerators>
    <Home_Page>http://www.google.co.uk</Home_Page>
    </component>
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <InputLocale>0809:00000809</InputLocale>
    <SystemLocale>en-GB</SystemLocale>
    <UserLocale>en-GB</UserLocale>
    <UILanguage>en-GB</UILanguage>
    <UILanguageFallback>en-GB</UILanguageFallback>
    </component>
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <BluetoothTaskbarIconEnabled>false</BluetoothTaskbarIconEnabled>
    <RegisteredOrganization>some school</RegisteredOrganization>
    <RegisteredOwner>some school</RegisteredOwner>
    <TimeZone>GMT Standard Time</TimeZone>
    </component>
    </settings>
    <cpifflineImage cpi:source="catalog:l:/sources/install_windows 7 professional.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>
    [/code

Thank Post
    Easiest way I find is to just add the drivers into WDS and it just installs them when it installs the OS

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Hey Guys

Setup WDS thanks to all of you and the helpful links. Everything is working I can deploy Images and Capture Images just fine, although one final issue.

Before WDS will allow you to capture the client Image you must first Sysprep the machine, So I did, I booted into the client Sysprepped with Generalize ticked and Out Of The Box Experience selected. Problem being is it has removed all the third party drivers I had installed for things like the GPU, Chipset, Card Reader and more.

Is there anyway to include the drivers? Thus stopping Sysprep from deleting them?

Cheers Guys
    You're taking the wrong approach. You shouldn't be including drivers in your image as this defeats the object of generalising it. Instead, you should be using WDS to inject the drivers into the OS during the deployment process. If you look at your WDS Console, you'll see that there is a section for drivers. Add your drivers to that and that will sort your problems.

Plus it will mean that you'll be able to use a single image for EVERYTHING. When you get new hardware, all you'll need to do is add extra drivers to your driver store, no need to faff about with an image per piece of kit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    You're taking the wrong approach. You shouldn't be including drivers in your image as this defeats the object of generalising it. Instead, you should be using WDS to inject the drivers into the OS during the deployment process. If you look at your WDS Console, you'll see that there is a section for drivers. Add your drivers to that and that will sort your problems.

Plus it will mean that you'll be able to use a single image for EVERYTHING. When you get new hardware, all you'll need to do is add extra drivers to your driver store, no need to faff about with an image per piece of kit.
    @Norphy ok mate so is it just a case of adding the drivers into the drivers folder or do I have to link this with the install.wim file in some way?

Thank Post
    if you are going to start adding drivers via wds just use mdt its more flexible

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Norphy ok mate so is it just a case of adding the drivers into the drivers folder or do I have to link this with the install.wim file in some way?
    It's been a while since I've used vanilla WDS but yes, I think that all you need to do is add the drivers to the WDS store.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    if you are going to start adding drivers via wds just use mdt its more flexible
    I don't want to use MDT looking at it as it's a lot more to set it up, plus we only have three types of computer in the school so wouldn't need to add that many drivers to it. I just need to know if it's just a case of adding the drivers into the drivers area or whether or not you some how have to link the installed drivers to the install.wim files via the wds console? Or whether I just add the drivers to wds and they automatically apply to every image on the WDS server?

Thank Post
    I don't want to use MDT looking at it as it's a lot more to set it up, plus we only have three types of computer in the school so wouldn't need to add that many drivers to it. I just need to know if it's just a case of adding the drivers into the drivers area or whether or not you some how have to link the installed drivers to the install.wim files via the wds console? Or whether I just add the drivers to wds and they automatically apply to every image on the WDS server?
    with only 3 types of computer to set up mdt less than an hour i would say (excluding downloading the aik as its several gbs)

i assume youre going to install pc1 get software drivers etc installed then image pull to server repeat for pcs 2/3 and have 1 image for each pc type then?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The latter

Thank Post
    with only 3 types of computer to set up mdt less than an hour i would say (excluding downloading the aik as its several gbs)

i assume youre going to install pc1 get software drivers etc installed then image pull to server repeat for pcs 2/3 and have 1 image for each pc type then?
    Yes that's what I was going to do, I just have no experience with setting up MDT and can't really see any benefits of doing so compared to WDS?

Thank Post
    Or whether I just add the drivers to wds and they automatically apply to every image on the WDS server?
    I just add 'em into the store and WDS automagically gives them out to the right machines. IME W8/7 come with a lot of the drivers needed anyway, but a few graphics, card reader, fingerprint scanner and other more esoteric bits of hardware drivers need to be stuck in the WDS store.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Why bother having an image per PC type? You don't need to with a generalised image any more and if you're going to have a fat image with all of your software installed, the need for MDT is reduced.

MDT is much more flexible, yes and if @abillybob ever wants to start customising the software loadout on machines depending on where they live then MDT is the solution but WDS is enough if he just wants a single image.

Thank Post
    What i found was install WAIK and use DISM to patched the image offline I didnt want to learn a load of cmd lines So i found thus: DISM GUI - Home
    Gives you a nice UI for using DISM and patching drivers and removing them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread