+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, How and what software to use Imaging Computers. in Technical; you dont have any vlans or other network config do you? edit is the wds servers firewall set to allow ...

Thank Post
    you dont have any vlans or other network config do you?
    edit
    is the wds servers firewall set to allow wds to work (turn it off see if that helps)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    you dont have any vlans or other network config do you?
    edit
    is the wds servers firewall set to allow wds to work (turn it off see if that helps)
    No VLAN's it's a flat network with everyone on the same subnet. My firewall was on so I've turned it off I'll see if it makes any kind of difference!

EDIT: Turning the Firewall off didn't change anything it still won't find the WDS server
    Last edited by abillybob; 1st May 2014 at 10:35 AM.

Thank Post
    WOO Ok so I now have it booting from the server in PXE, I found out that the old server running WDS which was also a DHCP server had an entry in DHCP specifying that server was a PXE, I deleted the entry and PXE Booted! All working well now, just one last question (here's hoping you haven't all got bored and will still help me ) but when I select the OS to boot from it gives me this error message:
    20140501_092928.jpg

I have tried adding the Ethernet driver for the computer but it's still showing this error message any ideas?

Cheers

Thank Post
    you need to add in the drivers for the NIC manufacturers (you can create an image with all different makes in, it doesnt need just one) and you then need to create a boot image with those drivers in WDS for that to work, make sure the major manufacturer drivers are in there for all the NIC types you have on your network machines i.e. Realtek, Intel, Broadcom to ensure that you can reimage the machines easily enough

Deployment Fundamentals, Vol. 1: Migrating to Windows 7 using MDT 2010 Lite Touch and WDS: Johan Arwidmark, Mikael Nyström: 9781451570038: Amazon.com: Books

Thats the book we used here to deploy windows 7 to our site, I would recommend buying it for a good "MDT" Manual for your site, we reimage all ours using MDT with lite touch.
    Last edited by rich_tech; 1st May 2014 at 11:16 AM.

Thank Post
    Where did you add the Ethernet Driver? It has to be in the boot image

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    you need to add in the drivers for the NIC manufacturers (you can create an image with all different makes in, it doesnt need just one) and you then need to create a boot image with those drivers in WDS for that to work, make sure the major manufacturer drivers are in there for all the NIC types you have on your network machines i.e. Realtek, Intel, Broadcom to ensure that you can reimage the machines easily enough
    I have added the NIC driver to WDS and then installed that to the boot.wim in the WDS console, are you saying I need to do the same with my install images aswell to get rid of the message? Also is there anywhere I can download a bunch of common drivers from those manufacturers?

Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Where did you add the Ethernet Driver? It has to be in the boot image
    I used this video and followed it to the letter

I only had a 64bit driver for the NIC (this dosen't bother me as the computer is 64bit) but when booting from the boot image I installed the driver on it still shows up that message?
    Last edited by abillybob; 1st May 2014 at 11:19 AM.

Thank Post
    In MDT - What I do is create a folder in Out of Box drivers called "Windows PE" and add in all the drivers I need for PXE booting. I create a selection profile called "Windows PE" under "advanced Configuration" and point it to the drivers folder.
    When I right-click my deployment share and look at properties I click on Windows PE tab and then the Drivers and patches tab. I point the selection profile here to the one I just created. and then tick Include only the drivers of the following types and tick the first 2 boxes.

This has worked for me every time. When I need a new driver I just add it into the Windows PE folder.

Edit : I also have driver folders for each model I image to.
    Last edited by fiza; 1st May 2014 at 11:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The NIC drivers needs to be in both. WDS uses a two-part boot process. Part1, the boot.wim, loads up the initial WinPE environment for you to choose which image to install. Part2, hands over to the install.wim to actually install the OS. If the correct NIC drivers aren't available to either .wim then it will fail. If you're getting as far as choosing the image then it's part2, the install.wim, that's missing the drivers.

Thank Post
    @abillybob - Are you only using WDS or MDT too?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    @abillybob - Are you only using WDS or MDT too?
    Only using WDS, I was trying to use MDT but got side tracked after watching all the tutorial videos. They have the same outcome don't they and I can't see much more advantage of using MDT or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    The NIC drivers needs to be in both. WDS uses a two-part boot process. Part1, the boot.wim, loads up the initial WinPE environment for you to choose which image to install. Part2, hands over to the install.wim to actually install the OS. If the correct NIC drivers aren't available to either .wim then it will fail. If you're getting as far as choosing the image then it's part2, the install.wim, that's missing the drivers.
    Ah ok I haven't put the drivers on the install.wim so it may have a problem (It's reimaging a computer now), how do I import a driver to install.wim files as I can't see an option to do so in the WDS console?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Only using WDS, I was trying to use MDT but got side tracked after watching all the tutorial videos. They have the same outcome don't they and I can't see much more advantage of using MDT or am I missing something?

Ah ok I haven't put the drivers on the install.wim so it may have a problem (It's reimaging a computer now), how do I import a driver to install.wim files as I can't see an option to do so in the WDS console?
    well yes they have the same outcome but in the long run imo mdt is easier. With wds you will forever be adding drivers to images just to get them to boot and then unless you install ALL the pcs drivers to teh install.wim installing video card etc drivers once booted etc afterwood. If you only have 1 or 2 types of pc on campus then wds is possibly the way to go if you have lots of disparate pcs then its not. with mdt you add the drivers and when you roll the pc out it will setect and install the eequired ones so you can have one image for all pcs and it will just install teh drivers for the pc that you happen to be rebuilding. Mdt is more flexible than wds imo.

Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    from what i remember using dism at the command line so you
    mount the image to a folder
    install the drivers to that offline copy
    unmount/commit the folder
    Last edited by sted; 1st May 2014 at 12:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Juts like to thankyou all for your help it's working like a dream now Sorted!

Thank Post
    bit late and a work in progress but would this of helped?
    Installing wds-mdt.pdf

14. Thanks to sted from:

lionsl2005 (6th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Great video

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    bit late and a work in progress but would this of helped?
    Installing wds-mdt.pdf
    That would have helped a lot! GOD

Cheers buddy, all sorted anyway now though that guide will come in handy for someone with the same questions I'm sure!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast