+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, How and what software to use Imaging Computers. in Technical; Originally Posted by tmcd35 You need a Windows 7/8 install CD. You get the initial .wim files from there. They ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    You need a Windows 7/8 install CD. You get the initial .wim files from there. They are then used to create the WinPE .wim files that you boot into using PXE.
    Ok two questions,
    1. Do I need both from both discs as in one from the 32bit disc and another from the 64bit disc?
    2. Once I have those files and I have copied them into the appropriate folders what next?

Thankyou once again for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by computer_expert View Post
    In the MDT console, right click the deployment share > update deployment share. Follow the wizard and after the wizard has finished, the boot image should be in the boot folder in the deployment share.
    I don't see this as an option? Do I need another application as you said MDT Console, I am in the WDS Console, I haven't got anything like an MDT console?
    Last edited by abillybob; 30th April 2014 at 03:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Since you're going down the MDT route, take a look at @computer_experts post above as it may have more relavence.

I'm going from memory. It's been a while since I set up WDS. Whether or not you need both depends on what your clients are and what you want to install to them. As to what next, I think you right click on the images once they've been imported into WDS and there's a menu option for creating the relevent boot image.

Thinking about it now, there might be .wim images in the WAIK download that are needed as well.

Thank Post
    @abillybob - work through that guide I linked to in my first post. It really is worth going through it. I learnt so much from it.

Thank Post
    I'm so confused right now -.-! Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    @abillybob - work through that guide I linked to in my first post. It really is worth going through it. I learnt so much from it.
    Ok mate will give that a watch tomorrow I'm leaving soon so don't have the time! Cheers for all your help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I don't see this as an option? Do I need another application as you said MDT Console, I am in the WDS Console, I haven't got anything like an MDT console?
    Sorry, I assumed you were going down the MDT route...Looking at my MDT server, the MDT console is actually called 'Deployment Workbench'. As for the question about 32/64bit it's best to have both.

Also, the link posted by @fiza was what I used to help me set my MDT server up - looks scary but is an excellent guide!
    Last edited by computer_expert; 30th April 2014 at 03:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Ok, so I have set it up best I can with the tutorial videos and a bit of my own research and I have got to here
    Attachment 24140

I have configured and set up the server, I have imported two Windows 7 Boot Images one being 64bit and the other 32bit, I then created a Capture Image from those boot images to enable me to capture a computer image on the client and save that image to the server for re-deployment on clone computers.
    I have also imported two of the standard Windows 7 install.wim files in the Install Images folder. At this point I thought I was done and it was all setup but when I try to boot from a client PC over the network it won't find the server and just boots into Windows as normal! Am I missing something here, I'm sure I've done everything right, I should also proberbly mention DHCP isn't running on this server and I read somewhere you have to set it up on DHCP but I have no idea where to start??

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=abillybob;1164395]Ok, so I have set it up best I can with the tutorial videos and a bit of my own research and I have got to here
    Attachment 24140

QUOTE]

Invalid attachment - cant see anything.

Thank Post
    @abillybob - have you set the PC to boot into PXE? Have you set your WDS server to respond to PXE requests?

Thank Post
    yuo only need to fiddle with dhcp setting if the wds server is the same box as dhcp otherwise it should just work but check see if option 60/67 have anything against them. Also check the pxe repsonse tab in wds (server name on right properties) as iirc default is dont respond it needs to be respond to all client computers (known and unknown) (at least to test but tbh its a pain having to allow certain guids to boot). the dhcp page should have 0 ticks on it unless you are on the dncp server
    ps atachment dosent work

Thank Post
    If you are using MDT you don't need to put anything in the Install images folder.
    Have you set up a task sequence to deploy an image?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    yuo only need to fiddle with dhcp setting if the wds server is the same box as dhcp otherwise it should just work but check see if option 60/67 have anything against them.
    AFAIK you do have to put entries against DHCP Server or Scope Options 66 and 67 in order to direct the client to the PXE boot server. Option 66 should be the IP address of the WDS server. Option 67 tells the client what file to boot off that server (a basic OS in effect). Ours is set to - boot\x64\wdsnbp.com - this might be wrong as we are using SCCM now.

Otherwise, yes the WDS server does need to be told to respond to PXE requests.

Thank Post
    no options set in dhcp here and its working fine with wds not being on a dhcp server

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing the default action is for a client to broadcast a PXE boot request and see what responds. Might open a network security hole if someone puts a rogue PXE boot server on the lan?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    no options set in dhcp here and its working fine with wds not being on a dhcp server
    same here.

Thank Post
    Ok so to answer all of your question, as always I appreciate your support. I found out the technician before me must have tried setting up Windows Deployment Services on another server, but didn't add any boot.wim's so my computer was actually connecting to that. I have since uninstalled all the WDS content and Role from the server in question.

Now that's uninstalled I checked my settings on the other server, I have got the client machine to boot into PXE, I then made sure that the server will allow all PXE incoming connection from any computer. Options 60/67 don't have any ticks by them! The client won't find my WDS server at all and eventually times out of PXE and boots from the hard drive.

I will try re-uploading the image, strange as the image is working for me...Windows Deployment Services.png

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast