+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, New imaging strategy required in Technical; Hi all We have traditionally used 'clonezilla' for our imaging needs. This has involved creating a machine specific disk image ...

Thank Post

New imaging strategy required

Hi all

We have traditionally used 'clonezilla' for our imaging needs. This has involved creating a machine specific disk image with OS, major Applications and software tweaks. We then sysprep the PC, shut down and capture the image. Deployment is manual via booting the client pcs up with clonezilla CDRom, connecting to the share and then downloading the image onto the pc. Its a bit labour intensive but has been a reliable and fast solution.

However we've now taken on Windows 8 tablets of which cannot be imaged using the above process. 'Apparently' they simply cannot be booted via CDROM or USB into a clonezilla environment.

What process would you advise that we change to?

Ideally we want to be able to image the OS and apps in one go like we currently do. We do use APPV for a number of apps but still locally install the likes of Office, Cs6 etc.

Regards

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    It's a very good question! I would say PXE boot, but no doubt these tablets probably don't have a Ethernet port either. Not sure if it's even possible to do a wireless PXE boot, or more to the point, why would you want to? Pulling a 15GB file over wireless is going to be painful.

Can you boot from a specially formatted USB flash drive? What options are offered in the BIOS?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's a very good question! I would say PXE boot, but no doubt these tablets probably don't have a Ethernet port either. Not sure if it's even possible to do a wireless PXE boot, or more to the point, why would you want to? Pulling a 15GB file over wireless is going to be painful.

Can you boot from a specially formatted USB flash drive? What options are offered in the BIOS?
    Use MDT then you can make a USB boot key that either hooks up to the network to download and apply the image or dumps all the necessary files on a bootable USB that will still boot under EFI.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

We PXE boot the Dell Venue tablets using the optional docking station, works great!

Thank Post
    There is a technet forum post on this very subject How do I deploy to a wireless tablet device?
    I think the long and short of it is a usb to ethernet adapter or offline usb image

Thank Post
    +1 on MDT

Thank Post
    I used clonezilla in my previous school and yeah it did a job but it's got nothing on MDT or fog. We use fog here and in a number of our primary schools and it works really well. If I were you I would use fog and just get a USB to ethernet adapter and use the PXE boot. I have it running off an UBUNTU VM with a couple of gigs of ram. It builds a nice little inventory system which binds to the computers MAC address making it real easy to deploy/capture an image and will rename the machine after the cloning process completes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnykewell1 View Post
    I used clonezilla in my previous school and yeah it did a job but it's got nothing on MDT or fog. We use fog here and in a number of our primary schools and it works really well. If I were you I would use fog and just get a USB to ethernet adapter and use the PXE boot. I have it running off an UBUNTU VM with a couple of gigs of ram. It builds a nice little inventory system which binds to the computers MAC address making it real easy to deploy/capture an image and will rename the machine after the cloning process completes.
    @jonnykewell1 - Have you got FOG working with Windows 8? Not tried here but heard it was a pain due to UEFI and the multiple partitions W8 creates.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superatticman View Post
    What process would you advise that we change to?
    We used to use FOG, but it doesn't handle different sized disks very well, so now we've moved to PXE booting the OS install image and having that do an unattended install. We have this working well with Windows 8.1 at the moment, I hope to add Debian and Server 2012 (for testing Ceph / Windows Storage Spaces) soon. We have all our software install via a script that runs after the install process is complete - ideally we would distribute all software via MSI files and GPOs, but we have assorted software that only comes with an executable installer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cscc View Post
    @jonnykewell1 - Have you got FOG working with Windows 8? Not tried here but heard it was a pain due to UEFI and the multiple partitions W8 creates.
    installing from anything to a uefi/secureboot pc is a pita be it network or usb

Thank Post
    hmm come to think about it no we don't have any windows 8 machines set up, but fog website says it's supported

Thank Post
    WDS and MDT = the awesome and the free - you'll be up and running in a day and I aint touched a thing on our build system for months, it just works!

Thank Post
    MDT. Though I would recommend away from thick images unless necessary.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    MDT. Though I would recommend away from thick images unless necessary.
    i think the best solution is half and half install office and updates to an image and thats it everything else via script/gpo/task sequence at end

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast