+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Is it possible to PXE boot to capture a ref image in SCCM 2012? in Technical; Hello, I was wondering if it's possible to PXE boot to capture a ref image in SCCM 2012? I can ...

Thank Post

Question Is it possible to PXE boot to capture a ref image in SCCM 2012?

Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible to PXE boot to capture a ref image in SCCM 2012? I can already use MEDIA (ISO) to capture the image. I was looking for a way to automate a capture of a "Gold Master" image?

Thank you,

Brian

Thank Post
    Yes but you need to deploy the build and capture task sequence to unknown pcs. Make it avaliable. Make sure pxe support s unknown computers in the dp settings. Boot a vm hit f12 and you can set it going.

Thank Post
    I've deployed the Task Sequence to the Unknown Computers Collection/Group. I'm able to PXE boot. I select my Task Sequence "CaptureOnly." The TS fails immediately. Error 0x00000032. I'm not able to grab the smsts.log from the client as it doesn't exist yet. My TS consists of the following three tasks. 1) Prepare Config mgr 2) Prepare OS 3) Capture OS. I've tried disabling task 1 but that didn't seem to make the task proceed. I've also tried adding the OSDTargetSystemRoot variable under Prepare OS TS. I'm at a loss. No idea where to go from here. Any help you could offer would be appreciated. -Thank you, Brian.

Thank Post
    No smsts log on the x drive?

Thank Post
    Nope. I have Command support enabled. F8. I'm able to browse the x drive. The Task Sequence seems to fail instantly hence not generating a smstslog file. I can see Windows, Program Files etc. on the x-drive. I think it's failing because it can't seem to find the OS? I found the following link and tried what was posted in the link but no luck. ConfigMgr: You Receive Error 080070490 in a Capture Task Sequence | Trevor Sullivan's Tech Room Do you know the correct procedure on how to capture a master image via SCCM 2012. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong. I deployed the image. I created a new task sequence more than once. I don't seem to be making any progress.

Brian

Thank Post
    Do you have boundaries set by ip? And do you have a network access account configured?

Thank Post
    Yes. I've deployed Images and Build and Captures. All is working correctly. I have Boundary Group and a Boundary setup. This is all on one server just for me to test. I've captured an image using the Build and Capture wizard task sequence. I just wanted to make a master image and capture it via SCCM TS. If I use a Media(ISO) I can capture the image. This takes away all of my installed apps and settings though as the TS runs Sysprep.

Thank Post
    I've attached the smsts log.

- - - Updated - - -

I've attached the smsts log.
    I was thinking maybe this won't work because a WIM file doesn't exist?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Sysprep shouldn't take away applications. Any settings should be within the msi/script to install the application. At worst push them out using gpp. Is it that you haven't syspreped that is the issue?

Thank Post
    Hello,

This is Trevor Sullivan (aka. @pcgeek86 on Twitter). I just registered for this forum, and I don't seem to be able to view your smsts.log image. If you can post your smsts.log on a public website, like pastebin.com, I should be able to view it there. The entire log would be helpful, and you can scrub it for any confidential information (DNS names, IP addresses, et al.) before posting it.

We'd also need to take a look at your capture task sequence. For testing purposes (and generally for production purposes as well), I would recommend avoiding creating required deployments for OSD-related task sequences. That will allow you to see the task sequence selection screen when it comes up, and have a bit more control over what's happening.

A few questions for you to consider:

* What version of ConfigMgr are you running?
    * What version of the Windows Assessment & Deployment Kit (ADK) tools are you running?
    * Do you have the appropriate network & mass storage device drivers (only if required) embedded into your WinPE boot image?
    * Do you have a specific boot image associated/assigned to your capture task sequence?

Cheers,
    Trevor Sullivan
    Trevor Sullivan's Tech Room
    Microsoft Windows PowerShell MVP
    Last edited by pcgeek86; 2nd April 2014 at 01:02 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread