+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Deploy OS based on MAC, UUID etc.. with the Database in Technical; I have been trying to figure out MDT for a few weeks. My WDS works perfectly, but with a few ...

Thank Post

Deploy OS based on MAC, UUID etc.. with the Database

I have been trying to figure out MDT for a few weeks. My WDS works perfectly, but with a few hundred desktops and currently using Vista and Windows 7, it would be nice to make use of MDT and the Database functionality. I currently have about 95% of the systems in a spreadsheet including the names, MAC addresses, UUID and what OS and the product key they are currently using. They are all currently Dell OptiPlex 755 and 760's.

Is it possible to have the database tell MDT to deploy Vista to MAC 12-23-34-45-56-67 with a specific computer name and the corresponding product key?

I have literally read through the first 30 pages in this section of the forum the last few days and probably over a hundred other sites since Christmas.

So far I have big plans for MDT if I can get all the customizations going the way I want to.

Thanks for any help!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wookard View Post
    I have been trying to figure out MDT for a few weeks. My WDS works perfectly, but with a few hundred desktops and currently using Vista and Windows 7, it would be nice to make use of MDT and the Database functionality. I currently have about 95% of the systems in a spreadsheet including the names, MAC addresses, UUID and what OS and the product key they are currently using. They are all currently Dell OptiPlex 755 and 760's.

Is it possible to have the database tell MDT to deploy Vista to MAC 12-23-34-45-56-67 with a specific computer name and the corresponding product key?

I have literally read through the first 30 pages in this section of the forum the last few days and probably over a hundred other sites since Christmas.

So far I have big plans for MDT if I can get all the customizations going the way I want to.

Thanks for any help!
    You can yes, you have to connect MDT to a SQL database (SQL Exoress is fine) then use the advanced menu in the Deployment workbench.

Deploying Windows 7 - Part 16: Using the MDT Database :: Windows 7 :: Articles & Tutorials :: WindowsNetworking.com

PT 15 and 16 are the ones you want. There is also a section on pre populating the DB with Powershell if needs be.

To be honest though its a bit of a ball ache to do that I usually prefer the KMS route for OS activation and just use a single task sequence with driver separation through make and model.

RS MDT Downloads | RS Applications

Thank Post
    Hi Jamo, I have been on that site but I don't think I have been on those sections in a month or so. We are currently looking to get volume licensing with a rep from MS. If that works out then it would be a heck of a lot easier to get the install smoother. I will talk to the network lead as we have SQL on the same server as WDS and MDT but I think it would be best to put Express for just the deployment part and leave the regular SQL to its own means. Thanks =)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wookard View Post
    Hi Jamo, I have been on that site but I don't think I have been on those sections in a month or so. We are currently looking to get volume licensing with a rep from MS. If that works out then it would be a heck of a lot easier to get the install smoother. I will talk to the network lead as we have SQL on the same server as WDS and MDT but I think it would be best to put Express for just the deployment part and leave the regular SQL to its own means. Thanks =)
    Doesn't need to be express, its a low use instance so won't add any load really.

Def the way to go with vol licencing, however if not, its completely possible to go down the MDT and SQL route although you might find management of the entries rather defeats the object of not going VL

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread