+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Application not installing - Error installing Office 2010 while reimaging in Technical; Hello all, I am having a somewhat strange issue with MDT at the moment, in that our system which has ...
    Thank Post

Question Application not installing - Error installing Office 2010 while reimaging

Hello all,

I am having a somewhat strange issue with MDT at the moment, in that our system which has worked fine for about 2 years is now playing us up, its carrying out the reimage of a machine to our 64 bit image without any fuss and everything in the build is being imported across (we are mid rollout of our 64 bit image site wide and we have had no issues whatsoever since we started in September until now), even the GPO based application installations are happening without a problem during the build, the only thing thats not installing now is our Office 2010 32 bit installation, its been setup as an application with the MDT and has gone on fine with the all reimaged machines until now, only now its decided that it plain out is refusing to play ball at all with two of the 4 machines I have recently reimaged last week.

2 of the machines both failed to install MDT with the following problem :- IMG_0319.jpg which is not a particularly helpful problem, as it states that "An unknown error has occured".

As far as testing has gone,
    • I have rebooted all of our servers in this, the MDT server and our main DHCP/fileserver,
    • I have rebooted all of the switching to that area from our main switch and back,
    • I have ensured that I have cleaned the disk out using diskpart each time on the target machine
    • I have now moved everything back to the office here and even on a different physical part of the network the machine is giving us the same issue and not installing office, its quite infuriating as two of the 4 reimages have gone fine with no issues whatsoever.

I just came upon this office error message when it has a failure to install right in front of me and its given us this equally awful to solve information:-

Description: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 setup did not complete successfully. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: Office12Setup
    Problem Signature 01: {10140000-0F00-0000-0000--0000000FF1CE}
    Problem Signature 02: 14.0.4755.1000
    Problem Signature 03: X
    Problem Signature 04: UnexpectedError
    Problem Signature 05: ProPlus.WW\Office64WW.xml
    Problem Signature 06: X
    Problem Signature 07: X
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
    Locale ID: 2057
    I have checked and this file is in place and has never been touched to my knowledge since their original creation from the Office 2010 CD and it has gone on to all machines without any issues on our 64 bit build until now where it refuses to install at all onto these two machines.

Any help or suggestions are welcome

Thank Post
    Do you have the pre application windows updates running before the office 2010 install?

Thank Post
    Looking at the Task Sequence in there, No it isnt running windows update (Pre-Application Installation) as that is greyed out currently on there.

Edit : Also post application update is greyed out too on it.
    Last edited by rich_tech; 21st January 2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: update

Thank Post
    Do you have a wuss server set up. Because it might be that windows udpate is kicking in or AV while office is trying to install. Its best practice to enable the windows update ts step. Define a wsus server in customsettings.ini so windows is completely up to date before applications are installed. If it is the antivirus you may need to run a command line for it to update.

Thank Post
    We do use a WSUS server on site for handling our updates, its set in GPO to update on a weekly sweep (though we obviously vet the updates before allowing them through)

AV tends to be one of the final things that gets added on at final rebuild boot by GPO, so that goes on after the build usually, it doesnt install the kaspersky by any other means as its set by our LEA that program and its scripted installation.

I have tried enabling pre and post update installation now as I am sat in our server room pondering how exactly to fix this and prevent it happening again.

Thank Post
    You have to add wsusserver=wsusserver.domain.com
    To customsettings.ini and enable the win update parts of the ts. It will only install approved updates. If you still get the same issue check event viewer.

Thank Post
    yeah, that bit was in place earlier from our other builds when I checked, we just had it turned off in this image for some reason that I cant remember.

I have kicked off one of these "refusing" machines now overnight and will check it first thing tomorrow when I am in work.

Thank Post
    This might be worth a look.
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1553648

Has this image ever had office 2007/trials on?

Thank Post
    Hello,

No, the base image never had Office 2007/Trials at all, it was done by my line manager on a fresh base image of Windows 7 Ent 64 and built up from there with nothing much on it, almost all software other than Office now is installed by GPO after the base OS and Office App installation, none of the software installed in as part of the build has anything like word/powerpoint viewer either, the image for Office 2010 and Win 7 64 SP1 has come straight off the ISOs on the MS Licensing Website as well.

It is a horrible strange problem going on here.

Thank Post
    The error is still evident on the machine here, even after enabling the installation of updates, MS Office failing with Error 30088

Thank Post
    At the moment I have stuck a new disk into the machine to try that out, because at least in my mind (not always the realms of possibility) I think the image may be writing to a bad disk in the same place over and over possibly !

I also forgot to add that in choosing not to install office in the build, I was still unable to install it into the machine afterwards as well yesterday, no matter what I try the installer just plain crashed out, even after rebooting the machine.

Thank Post
    Quick update: One of the machines that refused to rebuild has now rebuilt with office installing onto it with a new hard disk drive in it, on inspection it had a "Certified Repaired" drive that was fitted by the previous tech.

I get the feeling that it was indeed trying to write to some dodgy part of the disk which was not properly accessible, I will try a new HD install into the other one that has failed to install, so it can be put down then possibly to hard disk faults for these failed rebuilds, everything else has gone fine for the machines.

Thank Post
    Sorry to bump this thread, but this is still a massive issue at our site, its getting worse tbh, the machines I am rebuilding now are getting the problem with much more regularity and failing to install office.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread