+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Frustration with LAN driver in Technical; I'm having a little trouble with some new HP laptops. I have downloaded the newest driver from HP for the ...
    Thank Post

Frustration with LAN driver

I'm having a little trouble with some new HP laptops.
    I have downloaded the newest driver from HP for the LAN (it's a Realtek 8168) and added it to my WinPE drivers, then updated the deployment share to get the litetouch wim. I then copy the wim to windows wds and pxe boot the litetouch image.

The issue I'm seeing with these laptops is a failure to connect to the deployment share. It gives the PCI\VEN string of the device which is the Realtek NIC that I have downloaded and injected the drivers for. I have tried the drvload command from here as well with the driver on a usb stick but it comes back with an error 80070103 which I have found (with a lots of googling) means the driver or a better one already exists.

If a better driver exists why do I not have any connection to my deployment share? A quick ipconfig confirms no LAN devices exist.

This is proving to be the most confusing bit of troubleshooting I've ever had to do so I'm hoping someone else has had a issue similar to this and can give me some pointers. Thanks for any help you can give.

Thank Post
    Are you definitely using the correct version of the driver for the version that the boot image is based of (Win 7 or Win 8) ? Might be worth extracting one of the drivers from the OEM image with something like double driver.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Not sure how much help this is but would it be better if you found the relevant driver for the correct OS from the realtek website that has the NDIS2 driver files etc and extract the driver out of the msi / exe or are you able to use the exe / msi and inject that into your image etc ?
    @Arthur or someone else can most likely help better as I have not used WDS or MDT to be honest
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 9th January 2014 at 04:56 PM.

4. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

cromertech (10th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Have you tried regenerating the boot image(s) from scratch?

You can do this up right clicking the deployment share > update deployment share > select completely regenerate the boot images and follow the rest of the wizard. Make sure you update the boot image in WDS too.

Thank Post
    after the boot images are rebuilt to include the drivers you then need to in WDS remove the "boot.wim" and add it back in.

Thank Post
    Are you using the right driver for WinPE?

I believe HP has SCCM/MDT Driver packs just like Dell offers. For Dell, they offer specific WinPE and System CAB files. Are your WinPE drivers in a different directory than your system drivers? I have noticed we have better luck if we put PE specific drivers and system drivers separated. For WinPE, we use a selection profile for the WinPE environment that only looks in this location for PE drivers. In our MDT task sequence we use then driver group variables to grab the appropriate driver based on the make/model/os version/architecture.

Do you seem to have a lot drivers in your WinPE folder? Sometimes we have seen the issue where there are too many drivers and it causes issues - the above method seems to help cut down on that. Also -- have you tried completely regenerating the boot image as opposed to the other options?
    Last edited by qcomer; 10th January 2014 at 02:27 AM.

8. Thanks to qcomer from:

Thank Post
    Yep had this problem with Dell PCs before - latest realtek drivers from the dell website did not like WinPE - had to downlooad dell win PE driver pack and use those - it worked a treat then.

10. Thanks to AButters from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replie. I have found the hp win pe pack and will try with those once downloaded. I mounted the litetouch image to verify the driver had been injected and it has, however there is a native windows driver in the image as well for the same hardware. Should the driver I inject override this one?

I tried with a flat litetouch image just to see whether this driver would work but it doesn't.
    I also tried the drvload command in the flat image and get the same error 80070103 which still means that it thinks it has a better driver than the one I'm trying to add. I've never had this problem before with new machines it was always a simple case of getting the drivers and injecting them job done.

I'm going to add just the driver for this hp machine and see what result that gives me.

Thank Post
    What I did was remove all of the drivers for that machine (that i had downloaded the latest version from website). Then add the WinPE driver pack. This only contained Network and chipset drivers if I recall. Then once I tested a build and made sure it worked, I manually added the VGA/Sound etc drivers. I did not add any firther network drivers. This worked.

Hope it works for you!

13. Thanks to AButters from:

Thank Post
    It appears that HP are not so on the ball as DELL so they don't have a driver pack for WinPE 5.

I have tried to boot these now with the boot.wim from the windows 8.1 media directly through wds but I get a "no DHCP server found" error which obviously means the driver isn't loaded.

As a last resort I have burned my custom windows image to a dvd to install manually instead.

Thank Post
    Update: using the tools on this website Alternative to device manager of Windows I have been able to see that the NIC drivers are loaded however a lower version number than the one I injected.

I have discovered another Realtek device without a driver so I'll see if I can inject that one. Think this will have to wait for Monday now

Thank Post
    Finally solved this but feel I need to give the absurd solution. BIOS update needed but to make it difficult not the bios update on the HP support page, one buried in the forums. Technically this is microsofts fault for changing the way win8.1 allocates resources but the least HP could do was make this bios update available on the correct page on the website.

After applying this bios update winpe works fine as does win8.1 once installed.

17. Thanks to cromertech from:

mac_shinobi (14th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Ah well I wouldn't have guessed a BIOS update would be the fix!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread