+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Ramdisk device creation failed due to insufficient memory in Technical; Ok here are the details, I have MDT 2013 with ADK 8.1 running on a Dell Dimension, i3, 250 GB ...

Thank Post

Ramdisk device creation failed due to insufficient memory

Ok here are the details, I have MDT 2013 with ADK 8.1 running on a Dell Dimension, i3, 250 GB HDD with 4 GB of RAM running Windows Server 08 SP1. This server is also running the following services, DNS, DHCP, AD, WDS and file sharing. So here is the problem most of the time, when we try to capture an image or deploy an image we get the following error message “Ramdisk device creation failed due to insufficient memory.” We tried to deploy an image we captured with this system to about 30 computers 4 of them worked the rest did not. Also when I tried to capture an image we made and got the above error message. I posted my question at the Microsoft forums but did not really receive any kind of help.

To be a bit more detailed when we were going to capture the image we ran the litetouch.vbs file it initiated the process but stalled within a few seconds. So we ran cscript from admin command line, it did the process, rebooted the machine and gave us the same error message. When we were going to deploy an image we captured we ran the network boot, and the machine would give us the same error message before WDS asked us to pick an image.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Have you tried a BIOS update on the affected machines that seems to be something I have found online about this.

Thank Post
    Do you think a BIOS update would help if it happens with just about every machine we try? And if the system does need a BIOS update would there be an easier way to do this instead of having to update every system's BIOS before we image it, do you think there is something else? And I seem to have registered with two user names in the past. I must have forgotten I did so, I just wanted to let you guys know this so it is clear I am not hijacking this post or am doing an automated reply, thanks sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by Josh1; 9th January 2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: More Info

Thank Post
    A google of the error you get has many many causes from faulty disks, ram and BIOS problems which seem to be a more common reply to the issue. Are all the machine the same batch? If so you could have been unlucky and got a duff batch. No harm in trying one and seeing anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanks John, something weird that happened yesterday I went to image a machine yesterday and after the network boot I picked the 32 bit image then after the files loaded I was given the same error message, but when I loaded the 64bit image it imaged fine, no problems. The 32 bit and 64 bit image are the same until I can get a 32 bit image of 7 I put a 64bit in where the 32 should go. Now this machine that worked was different than the others I tried to do before. The 30 machines that failed were all of the same batch, 2 of them worked the rest (30) failed. If I can verify the 64bit works fine then I will have to upload a 32 bit image to WDS right? Do you think the problem is that there is a mismatch in images a 64 is not going to work with a 32 image?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh1 View Post
    Thanks John, something weird that happened yesterday I went to image a machine yesterday and after the network boot I picked the 32 bit image then after the files loaded I was given the same error message, but when I loaded the 64bit image it imaged fine, no problems. The 32 bit and 64 bit image are the same until I can get a 32 bit image of 7 I put a 64bit in where the 32 should go. Now this machine that worked was different than the others I tried to do before. The 30 machines that failed were all of the same batch, 2 of them worked the rest (30) failed. If I can verify the 64bit works fine then I will have to upload a 32 bit image to WDS right? Do you think the problem is that there is a mismatch in images a 64 is not going to work with a 32 image?
    So do you not have 2 boot images one for when your doing X86 and one for doing X64? I always had two boots and ensured I matched the OS to deploy with the boot image.

Thank Post
    I have two but not of the different kinds. I have a 64bit image for 32 and 64, I think this may be the problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread