+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Deploying Windows 8.1 Vanilla in Technical; Hey guys. I've imported the Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise OS into the Deployment Workbench; and created a new task sequence ...

Thank Post

Deploying Windows 8.1 Vanilla

Hey guys.

I've imported the Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise OS into the Deployment Workbench; and created a new task sequence (standard task) to deploy the OS (done this a thousand times before).

When deploying the OS; it gets to the stage where it says 'Deploying unattend.xml with DISM.EXE' and hangs for around 2 - 3 minutes and eventually errors out with the following codes:

FAILURE ( 5627 ): -1073741515 0xC0000135: Run DISM.exe
    Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code: = -2147467259 0x80004005
    Failed to run the action: Install Operating System
    Unknown error (Error: 000015FB; Source: Unknown)
    The execution of the group (Install) has failed and the execution has been aborted. An action failed.
    Operation aborted (Error: 80004004; Source: Windows)
    Failed to run the last action: Install Operating System. Execution of the task sequence failed.
    Unknown error (Error: 000015FB; Source: Unknown)
    Task Sequence Engine failed! Code: enExecutionFail
    Task sequence execution failed with error code 80004005
    Error Task Sequence Manager failed to execute task sequence. Code 0x80004005.

I've installed the 8.1 ADK and Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2013 x64; rebuilt the boot images from scratch countless times etc - and still have the same issues.

Originally I thought it was in relation to a similar issue I had with IE10 being slipstreamed (or in this case IE11) with the IEWelcomeMsg string in the Unattend.xml; however I've read online that this is now fixed (as suggested by the fact that key is completely missing).

Another website suggested I check the BIOS clock matches the time on the server; I've ensured this is definitely the case too - but still no joy!

I have many other OS deployments on the same server which work just fine, it's this 8.1 image (vanilla at that, no additional drivers); that is giving me grief!

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks!

Kyle

Thank Post
    have you tried using the boot.wim from a windows 8.1 dvd?

Thank Post
    Yup; I've literally extracted the files from the 8.1 x64 Enterprise ISO we downloaded from the VLSC :-)

Thanks for the quick response!

It's also worth mentioning I've never really had to edit / do anything with Unattend.xml files in the past; so not sure if I even need one?
    Last edited by KyleWhite; 25th November 2013 at 03:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Are you deploying with mdt and using wds for the boot image and multicast?

Thank Post
    Yup, we are using MDT 2013 (upgraded yesterday for 8.1 support) - and WDS for the boot image, but no Multicast. :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleWhite View Post
    Task Sequence Engine failed! Code: enExecutionFail
    Task sequence execution failed with error code 80004005
    Error Task Sequence Manager failed to execute task sequence. Code 0x80004005.
    Sorry for the obvious but error 0x80004005 is usually access denied check permissions for the account you are using.

Thank Post
    I would've agreed with you however, that error code often comes back to the 'BIOS Clock' issue from what I've researched. I can confirm that the clock has definitely been set right; and all permissions are intact to the best of my knowledge - as all of our other deployments/capturing task sequences work perfectly (even after the 2013 MDT update).

From a bit more research last night is this in relation to the Unattend.xml template that MDT uses for 8.1?

Apparently it pulls the default Unattend.xml which is applicable for Windows 7, as opposed to the Unattend.xml.6.2 (even though Windows 8.1 is actually build 6.3). Another suggestion by someone was to copy in CMD using "copy *.2 *.3" so I've now got Unattend<variable>.xml.6.3 (not even sure if MDT pulls this or is aware of it).

I've even opened WSIM and pointed it directly to a fresh untouched Unattend.xml and still having no joy, I'm fairly sure it's to do with this though!
    Last edited by KyleWhite; 26th November 2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: More information

Thank Post
    Doh.

School boy error - but I'll write the solution incase anyone else comes across the same headache!

We use Windows Deployment Services for booting; and add the Lite Touch Windows PE (x86/x64) into the 'Boot Images' OU using the utility.

I hadn't deleted them & reimported since the transition to MDT 2013 - as such the version of the Lite Touch OS was still reflecting as 6.1.7600; whereas after re-adding .\DeploymentShare\Boot\LiteTouchPE_x64.wim and x32; they now reflect as 6.3.9600 (and in turn supporting the unattend file for 8.1 correctly.

Thanks again for all of your support; hope this helps someone in the future!

9. Thanks to KyleWhite from:

FragglePete (27th November 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread