+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, SCCM 2007R2 - WDS/OS Deplyment. in Technical; I have tried to trouble shoot this for about a month now, and its really getting annoying. Other than SCCM2007 ...
    Thank Post

SCCM 2007R2 - WDS/OS Deplyment.

I have tried to trouble shoot this for about a month now, and its really getting annoying. Other than SCCM2007 is the most poorly created software I have ever come across, I have more less got most things working other than getting the WDS/Operating System Deployment system working.

My problem is that after I have booted PXE (As in I can press F12 and download the boot file) It then comes up saying that "The windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid OS entry." "Status code:0xc0000098" "File:\Boot\BCD"

Now, I can understand why this would be saying this, because WDS has no OS entry added but SCCM does have one added. I was under the impression that SCCM took control over WDS and there for no WDS configuration would need to be changed.

I have reinstalled WDS, I have also reinstalled SCCM2007 on a clean base two times and still I am unable to get this working. I was told you add everything in first like WSUS, WDS, updates etc.. before you install SCCM.
    @Oaktech Has no idea either... probably because he is busy eating chocolates right now.
    Last edited by Dan_ATR; 13th November 2013 at 02:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Also just adding, I have in DHCP;
    066 Boot Server Host Name = (my ip address)
    067 Bootfile Name = SMSBoot\x86\wdsnbp.com

I do not have 060 added and when I change 067 Bootfile Name from "Boot\x86\boot.com" to "SMSBoot\x86\wdsnbp.com" it then says PXE-T04: Access violation PXE-E36: Error received from TFTP Server. I have compared both folders and they are the same... double stumped.

Thank Post
    Have you distributed a boot image and deployed a task sequence? How come your not using sccm 2012?

Thank Post
    Have you distributed BOTH the x86 and x64 Boot Images?

Try removing the Images from your DP's completely and redistribute them.
    Another option is to delete them entirely and recreate them from \\SCCMServer\SMS_XXX\OSD\boot\[x86 and x64] (Where XXX is your Site Code(

Check on \\WDSServer\REMINST that you have at least the SMSBoot and SMSIMages folders and they are populated:
    (SMSBoot should contain you PXE files anf SMSImages should have the actual boot images from SCCM (eg XXX00004\XXX00004.wim, etc)

If none of these are present then your WDS may not be installed correctly.
    SCCM 2007 is quite picky about WDS and doesn't like it if WDS was already installed - it really wants it installed but NOT configured.

I would strongly suggest upgrading to R3 at the very least if not 2012 R2 (Recommended!). and taking a look at Windows-Noob.com - they have some great guides on ensuring SCCM is correctly configured/

Also, this post on there might help as it looks like the same issue as your having. Configuring WDS for SCCM 2007 R3 - Configuration Manager 2007 - www.windows-noob.com

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    Have you distributed a boot image and deployed a task sequence? How come your not using sccm 2012?
    Nope, not done this. I have no idea how to use the software to be honest with you. Im just using common sense and trile and error to use it. I did use SCCM2012 but I could not see where I can deploy any OS images etc... Which part of SCCM2012 do I need for this? We are currently on an RM network but have created a new domain and DC which we hope to move everything across to at some point and wish to use something like SCCM to manage the WSUS and OS deployment of things, users, groups etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Have you distributed BOTH the x86 and x64 Boot Images?
    Try removing the Images from your DP's completely and redistribute them.
    Another option is to delete them entirely and recreate them from \\SCCMServer\SMS_XXX\OSD\boot\[x86 and x64] (Where XXX is your Site Code(
    I removed the two boot images in SCCM and added one back but no go.

Check on \\WDSServer\REMINST that you have at least the SMSBoot and SMSIMages folders and they are populated:
    (SMSBoot should contain you PXE files anf SMSImages should have the actual boot images from SCCM (eg XXX00004\XXX00004.wim, etc)

If none of these are present then your WDS may not be installed correctly.
    SCCM 2007 is quite picky about WDS and doesn't like it if WDS was already installed - it really wants it installed but NOT configured.
    SMSBoot has the dir layout but only has bootmgfw.efi in the x86 dir. All other dir are empty which might well be my issue here. Or at least one of them.

I was told that WDS needs to be installed but not configured prior to SCCM installed which I did.

I would strongly suggest upgrading to R3 at the very least if not 2012 R2 (Recommended!). and taking a look at Windows-Noob.com - they have some great guides on ensuring SCCM is correctly configured/
    I might try SCCM 2012 again in that case. Myself and @Oaktech have no idea how to use this stuff... need babe steps and a holding hand.... lol

Also, this post on there might help as it looks like the same issue as your having. Configuring WDS for SCCM 2007 R3 - Configuration Manager 2007 - www.windows-noob.com
    Might take a look.. thanks

Thank Post
    Point to note:

You need to make sure that the x86 boot images is ALWAYS distributed - even if you are only using X64 images.
    A PC will initially use the x86 boot image, and then switch to the x64 image accordingly.

Read through all the config guides on windows-noob and you'll get to where you need to be.
    It took me 3-4 installs of SCCM before I became comfortable in using it - it is a duanting bit of software at first, but once you get it all configured and working then it'll be worth the blood, sweat and tears...

You are right about WDS - install the WDS Server Role, but do NOT configure it and let SCCM do that when you install the SCCM OSD Role.
    (This isn't the case with 2012 btw, wher you shouldn't install WDS at all - SCCM does it all for you!)

Thank Post
    Iv scraped SCCM 2007... now installing 2012

Thank Post
    (This isn't the case with 2012 btw, wher you shouldn't install WDS at all - SCCM does it all for you!)
    What about WSUS? Anything else I should uninstall??

Thank Post
    Same principle as WDS - install WSUS role, but do not configure it.
    Last edited by Gatt; 14th November 2013 at 01:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Sorry, I mean for SCCM 2012 does it install it too or do I need to install it? (ill leave it where it is in that case)

Thank Post
    Just seen you're installing 2012 so just to clarify:

WDS - This should get isntalled by SCCM when you install the OSD roles
    WSUS - Install WSUS bot don't configure it, then install the SUP roles

Thank Post
    Now im lost... I keep getting this message up when trying to connect to the DB. Iv followed everything according to the windows-n00bs how to.

SCCM2012.jpg

Thank Post
    Make sure the username you are using to install SCCM has the rights to connect and create a database on the SQL Server through SQL Management Studio
    it's either db_owner or db_creator?
    Rerun setup

Thank Post
    nope... still not working...

Thank Post
    Are you using the default instance? IF so leave the second field blank

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast