+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Toshiba C50 :Laptops will not boot PXE in Technical; Originally Posted by sted have you tried updating wds / mdt to use a windows 8 boot.wim (win 8 adk) ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    have you tried updating wds/mdt to use a windows 8 boot.wim (win 8 adk) rather than the windows 7 one that may allow you to boot it up
    Yes, we have the windows 8 .wim.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    Not specific to that Toshiba laptop but just found this page which talks about PXE error E53. You may need to check some settings on the WDS server

PXE-E53 error
    The settings to be checked are on the dhcp server option 66 or 67, but you only set them if its not the same subnet. I did try it for curiosity and did get an ip address then it timed out on tftp. All our other laptops work fine on default settings.

Thank Post
    We had the same issue - The problem was we couldn't PXE boot with these laptop over different VLANs. Plug the laptop into the same VLAN as your WDS server and try that.

Thank Post
    I would try setting option 66 and 67 again as it seems to have got further with that in place. Then restart the WDS services and try to PXE again.

I have 66 set to the IP of the WDS server and option 67 set to boot\x86\wdsnbp.com

Not sure why its this file under the x86 but I can do deploys just fine with either 32 or 64bit machines

5. Thanks to themightymrp from:

sted (8th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Thought here and not sure how much it will help but don't you have to or need to get the NDIS network card driver for the laptop or computer and inject that into the WDS Image ??

Something like this :

PeteNetLive - KB0000314 - Adding Drivers to Images on Windows Deployment Services (2008 R2), Add Driver Packages to Image - Greyed Out

Thank Post
    A fix for Toshiba C50 none pxe boot in csm mode.
    thats a days labour you owe me tosh. This fix is a re hash of several forum posts.

Connect to WDS from a USB memory stick
    Did this on windows 7 Pro
    Install Windows AIK tools (downloadable).
    From the WDS MMC snap-in create a discovery image from boot.wim or the appropriate boot image.
    Capture.PNG

Format and make the USB drive partition active using diskpart. Windows 7 OS. Cmd - cd to the usb drive:
    diskpart
    select disk 1
    select partition 1
    format fs=ntfs override quick
    active
    assign

• Copy the folder ‘boot’ from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot to the USB drive
    • Create a folder named ‘Sources’ on the USB drive
    • Copy the discovery file created earlier to the ‘Sources’ folder on the USB drive name - boot.wim
    • Copy ‘bootmgr’ from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86 to the root of the USB drive
    • Install the Windows 7 boot loader: go to C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\
    • Run bootsect.exe /nt60 <USB driveletter:>
    Set Bios to boot usb (or select boot device from menu)
    Install image, remove usb
    Set bios to boot hdd
    All done
    This should work on any pc booting to wds.
    Last edited by andyase; 4th October 2013 at 03:45 PM.

8. Thanks to andyase from:

Tom (5th October 2013)

Thank Post
    So an easy fix then lol

Tom

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyase View Post
    A fix for Toshiba C50 none pxe boot in csm mode.
    thats a days labour you owe me tosh. This fix is a re hash of several forum posts.

Connect to WDS from a USB memory stick
    Did this on windows 7 Pro
    Install Windows AIK tools (downloadable).
    From the WDS MMC snap-in create a discovery image from boot.wim or the appropriate boot image.
    Capture.PNG

Format and make the USB drive partition active using diskpart. Windows 7 OS. Cmd - cd to the usb drive:
    diskpart
    select disk 1
    select partition 1
    format fs=ntfs override quick
    active
    assign

• Copy the folder ‘boot’ from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot to the USB drive
    • Create a folder named ‘Sources’ on the USB drive
    • Copy the discovery file created earlier to the ‘Sources’ folder on the USB drive name - boot.wim
    • Copy ‘bootmgr’ from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86 to the root of the USB drive
    • Install the Windows 7 boot loader: go to C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\
    • Run bootsect.exe /nt60 <USB driveletter:>
    Set Bios to boot usb (or select boot device from menu)
    Install image, remove usb
    Set bios to boot hdd
    All done
    This should work on any pc booting to wds.
    I encountered these horrible laptops this week and ended up removing the HDD's to image in another PC. I have another 60 of them to do next week! would rather not have to remove them all to image!

I couldnt even get them to boot from a USB stick with secure boot off & CSM on. didnt try forcing the boot order though.

If you have wds2012 you can UEFI network boot them from a windows 8 x64 boot image - but then cant deploy x32 windows 7 images

Andyase - Did you create your discover boot image from an x64 or x32 windows 7 boot.wim?

I want to deploy an x32 windows 7 imstall image to these things.

Thank Post
    Interesting as we just had 6 of these which came with Win 7 installed and a Win 8 OS disc... cheap and nasty compared to Samsungs

Tom

Thank Post
    I think there are different sub-models (as with all the Toshes!). I also have C50-A-15Q's which come with windows 8 x64. They were supposed to be C850's but they went EOL before the order got there and somebody decided that these would be an equivalent replacement

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I encountered these horrible laptops this week and ended up removing the HDD's to image in another PC. I have another 60 of them to do next week! would rather not have to remove them all to image!

I couldnt even get them to boot from a USB stick with secure boot off & CSM on. didnt try forcing the boot order though.

If you have wds2012 you can UEFI network boot them from a windows 8 x64 boot image - but then cant deploy x32 windows 7 images

Andyase - Did you create your discover boot image from an x64 or x32 windows 7 boot.wim?

I want to deploy an x32 windows 7 imstall image to these things.
    We use 2012, discovery image was from 64bit win , then we load a 64 bit windows 7 image.

Thank Post
    Chill guys , I got the solution for this , and it's very simple:

1- Enter the BIOS
    2- Go to "Security" section in BIOS
    3- You will find (Secure Boot: Enabled) , well go and disable that !
    4- Then go to "Advanced" section in BIOS and enter the "System Configuration"
    5- Now as you can see you can change the "Boot Mode" after we disabled the "Secure Boot"
    6- So just go and change the "Boot Mode" form (UEFI Boot) to (CSM Boot)
    7- That's it =D save the new settings in BIOS and restart with your bootable DVD or Hard Disk

Now your laptop will read and boot from any DVD or USB Hard Disk
    Hope this work with you guys
    Cheers

Tom

Thank Post
    If anybody is still trying to get these stupid laptops to PXE boot, we have found the problem and a workaround for it and I have a support case open with Toshiba where they are replicating it which will hopefully lead to a proper fix. Amusingly this is taking a while since our laptops shipped to us with bios version 1.20 which hasn't been released to Toshiba UK support yet!

The issue appears to be that the C50 isnt able to use more than one DHCP server for the boot process - so if you have a DHCP server giving out an IP and a seperate WDS server giving out the PXE options (60,66 and 67), it doesnt get the responses from the second server - so fails with the file not found error. If you have WDS on the same server as DHCP it works.

You can specify options 66 and 67 on your main DHCP Scope and force it to work - set option 066 to your WDS Server IP address/FQDN and 067 with the following string "\boot\x86\wdsnbp.com". this will work for x32 boot images (win7 or win8) on wds 2008 and 2012. We have deployed win7 x32 onto ours quite happily.

This issue is affecting 2 different 'sub-modles' of the C50 which we have - so don't buy any new ones without expecting it.
    Last edited by Tom; 2nd November 2013 at 09:44 AM.

16. Thanks to Tom from:

DevilsAdvocate (10th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks to some of the posts above I've managed to get the ones we have imaging...albeit slowly! They are taking much longer to deploy the packages than any of our other laptops do. Has anyone else experienced this?

Tom

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    Thanks to some of the posts above I've managed to get the ones we have imaging...albeit slowly! They are taking much longer to deploy the packages than any of our other laptops do. Has anyone else experienced this?
    I've done hundreds of C50's since my last post!. They deploy at normal speeds for me.

I am now using the windows 8.0 x32 boot image in WDS 2008/2012, and have option 66 set to the WDS server IP and option 67 set as above. I am putting windows 7.1 x32 images onto them

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast