+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Benefits of uefi? in Technical; Can someone help me understand the benefits of uefi booting? I see that MDT2012 now supports true uefi booting... pros ...

Thank Post

Benefits of uefi?

Can someone help me understand the benefits of uefi booting? I see that MDT2012 now supports true uefi booting...

pros ? cons?

Still learning exactly what uefi is...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You get the ability to secure boot into windows 8 which prevents various types of malware/rootkit getting in.
    Also generally the traditional *BIOS* part is faster resulting in a quicker boot time for the user as well as having mouse support.

Thats the only things really for me anyway, with UEFI now turning up on more motherboards they needed to add support. Just to be clear you can only use that boot mode on a newer motherboard that has UEFI.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 17th September 2013 at 03:28 AM.

Thank Post
    the machiens we deploy have UEFI but i wasnt sure of the benefit.

I guess i need to look into deploying to machines that use UEFI... and findout if an older machines comes along can i still legacy boot to it ... (all this would be over pxe using mdt 2012)

Thank Post
    Becomes a issue with truecrypt as uefi and gpt partition s are not supported. Also if you ever need to do an acronis image or similar it needs to support uefi. You can drop back to legacy. I have no idea if restoring the image will work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    Becomes a issue with truecrypt as uefi and gpt partition s are not supported. Also if you ever need to do an acronis image or similar it needs to support uefi. You can drop back to legacy. I have no idea if restoring the image will work.
    If using 8 then bitlocker will work fine with secureboot etc will be nice and secure comparatively. Faster boot, easier updates, more diagnostic tools built in.

Thank Post
    Is it something you turn on in MDT 2012?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by agarabaghi View Post
    Is it something you turn on in MDT 2012?
    If you mean bitlocker, yes on windows enterprise as long as the tpm has been set correctly in the bios/efi you can even push it out transparently through group policy.

Thank Post
    I can't seen to get our machines to boot via uefi ... It shows ipv4 then goes back to the boot screen

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can't seen to get our machines to boot via uefi ... It shows ipv4 then goes back to the boot screen
    Have you set them to boot in native efii mode (ironically in the bios) before trying, lots default to the old standard so they don't trip up anyone installing xp that does not know better.

Thank Post
    Well we are the only one who would install an os...

I have a base T420s / T430s Lenovo... are you saying i should boot into MDT2012 and deploy my image the normla legacy way, and then i can turn on UEFI boot after its been imaged?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well we are the only one who would install an os...

I have a base T420s / T430s Lenovo... are you saying i should boot into MDT2012 and deploy my image the normla legacy way, and then i can turn on UEFI boot after its been imaged?
    Turn on uefi and the rpm in the bios first then you should be able to boot via efi and now or later push bitlocker. I think it can be a pain switching from bios to efi later as efi can use gpuid partition tables and the bios can't. Get the hardware right first then lay the software on top, this series of blogs may she'd a little light on the bitlocker bit SCCM, Windows 7 and Bitlocker - Part 2 - Blogs - EduGeek.net

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I turned UEFI on, on our new dell servers. I also put a few to use the old Bios.

Didn't notice any difference whatsoever. Speed is exactly the same from what I can tell.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I turned UEFI on, on our new dell servers. I also put a few to use the old Bios.

Didn't notice any difference whatsoever. Speed is exactly the same from what I can tell.
    Uefi on servers have different criteria and can even be slower, especially dell gear from the complaints I have heard on here but more through. Desktop stuff that is windows certified has to get through efi post in something like less than 2 seconds if ssd or less than 6-8 sec if hard drive, can't remember the exact figures but it leaves bios in the dust for user pc's where boot speed is a priority.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 18th September 2013 at 04:52 PM.

Thank Post
    are there actually any good reasons to use uefi all ive found is its a pita. Someone at work was just trying to install windows 8 from a pendrive and it just wouldnt accept it as a boot device. as far as i can see the only use for it is to stop people loading their own os

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Isn't there a number of limitations with traditional BIOS that UEFI is supposed to overcome?

- limits on code size for the actual BIOS
    - limits on where boot partitions can begin on a physical disk (which I think bootloaders like Grub get around)
    - support for hardware drivers allowing WIMP/GUI interfaces
    - something about memory management and how the first 640k is used
    - something about the system calls available to the OS

I'm sure there where others. But basically BIOS is 30-something years old and should have been retired along time ago. A bit like PS/2 keyboards/Mice, Parallel Printers and RS232C serial ports (don't why it annoys me when I still see these things on Motherboards despite USB being th defacto standard this pass decade).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast