+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Injecting Drivers in MDT in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Injecting Drivers in MDT

Been working with MDT 2012 imaging Dell machines. Works a treat!
    Now have some Samsung Laptops to image. Have sysprepped and captured an image. Following the same principle I did with the Dells I have created an Out of Box Drivers folder ;

SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.

But the model name Samsung have is "300E4C/300E5C/300E7C". I cant use this as a name in the folder structure as MDT says you cannot have special characters in the name.

How do you guys load drivers for devices with strange model names?

I read about model alias here ;

Modelalias User Exit for Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010/2012 « The Deployment Bunny

But I cant get my head around how I would use it.
    Last edited by fiza; 29th July 2013 at 12:50 PM.

Thank Post
    *bump*

No one?

Thank Post
    tbh I don't think you need folders with names for your different hardware just do import drivers from the out-of-box drivers section and then scan from cd or folder where you have the drivers. I have all the drivers for different models in the main folder and it selects the right ones to use when imaging automatically.

4. Thanks to maark from:

fiza (2nd August 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi,

We had the same problem with our Samsung drivers with MDT. We got around this by editing the ZTIGather.wsf script located inside the Scripts folder in your DeploymentShare.

If you open up your ZTIGather.wsf script and search for "smodel" you should find an if statement about halfway down similar to this:

If smodel is "300E4C/300E5C/300E7C"
    Then smodel is "Whatever name you want to call this"

This is roughly the if statement used, I cannot be sure as I don't have the script open up in front of me.

Try that and remember to update your deployment share after editing the script.

6. Thanks to alexpuk2002 from:

fiza (2nd August 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexpuk2002 View Post
    Hi,

We had the same problem with our Samsung drivers with MDT. We got around this by editing the ZTIGather.wsf script located inside the Scripts folder in your DeploymentShare.

If you open up your ZTIGather.wsf script and search for "smodel" you should find an if statement about halfway down similar to this:

If smodel is "300E4C/300E5C/300E7C"
    Then smodel is "Whatever name you want to call this"

This is roughly the if statement used, I cannot be sure as I don't have the script open up in front of me.

Try that and remember to update your deployment share after editing the script.
    Looked at the ZTIGather.wsf in my Deploymentshare and the only line with if smodel is this one;

LogTypeInfo
    End if
    If sModel = "" then
    oLogging.CreateEntry "Unable to determine model via WMI.",

What should I change this to?

Thank Post
    Directly underneath the line you posted there is an End If statement. Below that leave a space and the insert the line

If sModel = "300E4C/300E5C/300E7C" then
    SModel = "300E5C"
    End If

The parts in quotations are what you want to change the model name from and what you want to change it to.

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    for the useralias script, you reference it in your Customsettings.ini its an userexit script. It then generates 2 new vaialbles: modelalias and makealias.

in your out of box drivers folder, you create new folders based on model name (The same that modelalias produces) put all the drivers for that model in there.

out-of-box drivers
    ->Win7x86
    -->E5500
    ---> Dell Drivers (x86)
    -->HP Compaq Elite 8300 Touch All-in-One PC
    --->HP Drivers (x86)
    ->Win7x64
    --->E5500
    ---> Dell Drivers (x86)
    --->HP Drivers (x86)

if that makes sense?

In your TS, before you get to the Inject drivers (pre install) you add a new TS variable "DriverGroup001" and you reference your model folders in Out-of-box drivers like "win7x86\%modelalias%"
    Then set inject drivers selection profile to "nothing" and select "Install all drivers from selection profile"

I personally dont use this method, because I am lazy and dont have lenovo's (lenovo model names are 8 digits long but the last 4 are batch so change even among the same range). I use a similar one called "Cleanmakeandmodel" it works similar, but you add a script to your scripts folder, run it before you create you DriverGroup001 variable, then use %cleanmake% and %cleanmodel% works just as well, and the guy who wrote it created a little app that gets he info on the local and remote machines with a button that drops the relevnat field onto the clipboard, meaning, you dont get spelling mistakes!

heres the link to cleanmakeandmodel
    Last edited by warren17c; 1st August 2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo

10. 2 Thanks to warren17c:

fiza (2nd August 2013), maark (2nd August 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by warren17c View Post
    for the useralias script, you reference it in your Customsettings.ini its an userexit script. It then generates 2 new vaialbles: modelalias and makealias.

in your out of box drivers folder, you create new folders based on model name (The same that modelalias produces) put all the drivers for that model in there.

out-of-box drivers
    ->Win7x86
    -->E5500
    ---> Dell Drivers (x86)
    --->HP Drivers (x86)
    ->Win7x64
    --->E5500
    ---> Dell Drivers (x86)
    --->HP Drivers (x86)

if that makes sense?

In your TS, before you get to the Inject drivers (pre install) you add a new TS variable "DriverGroup001" and you reference your model folders in Out-of-box drivers like "win7x86\%modelalias%"
    Then set inject drivers selection profile to "nothing" and select "Install all drivers from selection profile"

I personally dont use this method, because I am lazy and dont have lenovo's (lenovo model names are 8 digits long but the last 4 are batch so change even among the same range). I use a similar one called "Cleanmakeandmodel" it works similar, but you add a script to your scripts folder, run it before you create you DriverGroup001 variable, then use %cleanmake% and %cleanmodel% works just as well, and the guy who wrote it created a little app that gets he info on the local and remote machines with a button that drops the relevnat field onto the clipboard, meaning, you dont get spelling mistakes!

heres the link to cleanmakeandmodel

The tool on my website (linked above) was developed because of the Samsung WMI info!

To the post re why do you filter drivers:

Basically if you put all your drivers in one pot you will end up with multiple drivers for each hardware ID. If you want to do regression testing on your builds each time you add drivers then adding them to one pot is all good, however driver filtering allows complete control over which drivers you add to your builds. Adding a new hardware type is then guaranteed to NOT affect your other builds which will build exactly the same as you first intended even years after the hardware type was first created.

For reference the scripts MDT Script – Clean the Make and Model WMI Queries | RS Applications basically allow you to filter on make and model regardless of what the WMI queries return. The make and model variables are left intact (invalid chars etc) so that the rest of the build info which can pull information from these variables works, instead as was mentioned above, cleanmake and cleanmodel are created and populated with the cleaned variables for use in driver filtering.

Shout if you need any help, its easier than I make it sound!

12. 3 Thanks to Jamo:

fiza (2nd August 2013), maark (2nd August 2013), warren17c (2nd August 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    The tool on my website (linked above) was developed because of the Samsung WMI info!

Basically if you put all your drivers in one pot you will end up with multiple drivers for each hardware ID. If you want to do regression testing on your builds each time you add drivers then adding them to one pot is all good, however driver filtering allows complete control over which drivers you add to your builds. Adding a new hardware type is then guaranteed to NOT affect your other builds which will build exactly the same as you first intended even years after the hardware type was first created.

For reference the scripts MDT Script – Clean the Make and Model WMI Queries | RS Applications basically allow you to filter on make and model regardless of what the WMI queries return. The make and model variables are left intact (invalid chars etc) so that the rest of the build info which can pull information from these variables works, instead as was mentioned above, cleanmake and cleanmodel are created and populated with the cleaned variables for use in driver filtering.

I must say a huge Thanks (and have clicked to indicate) Samsung is the reason I went looking and found. makes my life a lot easier!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post

@Jamo - Thanks.

Beginning to organise my drivers list. I had originally created just folders with "Dell Inc." and then models under. I have now organsied it with "Windows 7" then "Dell Inc." and then the model . Only thing is my model is for example "Optiplex 7010" but when querying it comes back as "OptiPlex 7010" will the fact I dont have a capital P make a difference? I cant seem to change it now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    @Jamo - Thanks.

Beginning to organise my drivers list. I had originally created just folders with "Dell Inc." and then models under. I have now organsied it with "Windows 7" then "Dell Inc." and then the model . Only thing is my model is for example "Optiplex 7010" but when querying it comes back as "OptiPlex 7010" will the fact I dont have a capital P make a difference? I cant seem to change it now.
    I dont think it matters but if you want to be precice, name it something differnet (stick a 1 at the end) then rename it back with the correct Capialization. I use the copy to clipboard function of @Jamo's tool whack it in a text file then use that from MDT.

16. Thanks to warren17c from:

fiza (2nd August 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by warren17c View Post
    I dont think it matters but if you want to be precice, name it something differnet (stick a 1 at the end) then rename it back with the correct Capialization. I use the copy to clipboard function of @Jamo's tool whack it in a text file then use that from MDT.
    Great Thanks - Why didnt I think of that?!!!

Made all the changes and I have updated my Deployment Share but do I need to regenerate the iso/wim files too?

Thank Post
    Ran my first deployment with the new settings - it failed.

Failed to run action "make and model"
    Incorrect function

I followed the instructions here : MDT Script – Clean the Make and Model WMI Queries | RS Applications

I created a new Run Command Line just above where I put the DriverGroup task. The command line "cscript CustomCleanMakeandModel.wsf". I didnt provide a "Start in" parameter or a run as parameter.
    I made sure the script had the same name and was placed in the scripts folder of the deploymentshare.

Where did I go wrong? @Jamo @warren17c Any pointers would be appreciated
    Last edited by fiza; 2nd August 2013 at 01:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Quotes is what I was missing!! Just copied the syntax of one of the other tasks . Seems to be working now and the deployment is continuing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Quotes is what I was missing!! Just copied the syntax of one of the other tasks . Seems to be working now and the deployment is continuing.
    good work!

what i also do is, change the Install drivers task. I change it to Install Drivers - %cleanmake% - %cleanmodel%

then during the Task sequence, you get to see that it is picking the right drivers (peace of mind when you dony believe that it can be this simple!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast