+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Dell Optiplex 760 \ 745- Strange USB Issue in Technical; Afternoon All, I seem to be spending half my days asking questions on here so apologies in advance! Imaging some ...
    Thank Post

Dell Optiplex 760 \ 745- Strange USB Issue

Afternoon All, I seem to be spending half my days asking questions on here so apologies in advance!

Imaging some Dell Optiplex 760s. Everything goes fine and all drivers seem to install however USB Keyboard and Mouse don't want to work! RDP onto the machine and check device manage and all drivers are indeed present however the USB Controller Drivers are complaining about being unsigned (goes into some detail about being changed since they were installed). To rectify the issue I have to remove the controllers from device manager and restart and they show up right as rain (albeit it takes maybe 45 seconds for the PC to find the keyboard and mouse at the next boot).

KB and M works fine in Windows PE and BIOS but as soon as it boots into Windows 7 that's when the issues occur.

Is this something someone has encountered before at all? Manually removing the device isn't a particularly massive deal however it brings out the OCD in me where I want everything to work without needing any sort of manual work on rebuilds!!!!

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    What are you using to image the machines? We've had a few issues with USB if you have certain other vendors older drivers kicking around in the install image. Maybe start with a clean install image and also use the system cab pack available from Dell rather than individual drivers.

Thank Post
    Completely clean TS from scratch. Using the base install.wim from Windows 7 SP1 CD.

Have already got the Dell 760 Cab however haven't specified to only use this when building the machine. Will create a new TS and limit the drivers it can use to the ones from the CAB and see if that works. Thanks for the idea.

Thank Post
    interesting, we have the same issue with a random number of our 790 and 7010 optiplexes. We've been back and forth to Dell over it and even gone as far as having one of their technicians out here, and each step they've come up with has failed to resolve the issue. This includes bios flashing, new driver installs and even a mainboard swap, all to no avail. let me know how you get on.

Thank Post
    We had similar problems with our new Dells, 3011's and 9010's. We injected the USB drivers, NIC and Storage drivers into a fresh Win PE and the full CAB into a fresh Windows 7 image and this worked.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jallsop View Post
    interesting, we have the same issue with a random number of our 790 and 7010 optiplexes. We've been back and forth to Dell over it and even gone as far as having one of their technicians out here, and each step they've come up with has failed to resolve the issue. This includes bios flashing, new driver installs and even a mainboard swap, all to no avail. let me know how you get on.
    It appears to be working now. I created a specific TS just for the problematic Dell machines which only included the drivers from the CAB I got from the Dell Website.

Using the Original TS it would use drivers from 2013... I noticed that when removing the USB Controller Devices from Device Manager and restarting that they came back and started working and instead were picking up a 2008 version of the same driver. Strange... it wasn't a case of using a driver too old... it was a case of using one that was too new!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread