+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, How to create a recovery partition? in Technical; Hi all, I have been using linux (Kubuntu x64 to be exact) for a few months and I use an ...

Thank Post

Question How to create a recovery partition?

Hi all,

I have been using linux (Kubuntu x64 to be exact) for a few months and I use an bootable Clonezilla USB drive to make and recover images of the system, and works great.

Now I want to make in the hard drive a recovery partition that will allow me to press a key or something similar when booting the computer and then go to a recovery option with what I can restore the computer to the default state.

I need all to be in the internal hard drive, not on a USB drive, and I need the recovery process to be easy to use (I don't wan't to have to select partitions or other options).

Mainly, I understand that making this can be a bit difficult, but I don't mind, the question is that the result, i mean, the recovery option must be simple and easy to use.

Anyone knows how could I do this?

Many thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Ive done this in the past using a program called PING (Partimage is not Ghost)

look here towards the bottom is instructions on how to use lilo boot menu to boot to PING and therefore restore an image.

takes a bit of setting up but as you said you don't mind that... here it is.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    Ive done this in the past using a program called PING (Partimage is not Ghost)

look here towards the bottom is instructions on how to use lilo boot menu to boot to PING and therefore restore an image.

takes a bit of setting up but as you said you don't mind that... here it is.
    Many thanks for the answer,

I assume that this is not going to be very easy, but my skills with linux are more basics than advanced by now, so I really thank if I have an easier way than another, hehe.

I'm going to look at the link you have posted me, I'll tell!!!

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Hi again, Admiral208,

I'm reading the "how-to" of this software, and seems to be focusee on creating and recovering images via lan. Since I can connect all drivers directly to the same computer, wouln't it be an easier way?

In other forum someone has adviced me to do it with the same clonezilla if I've understand him OK: LINK

Could you give me an opinion about this?

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Yes, im sure you can do it with clonezilla but ive only ever used ping as ive used the software before.

Ping does allow you to save and restore over a network but it also lets you save to local partitions.

Perhaps you should test out the software first before you spend the time trying to get the recovery partition working.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    Yes, im sure you can do it with clonezilla but ive only ever used ping as ive used the software before.

Ping does allow you to save and restore over a network but it also lets you save to local partitions.

Perhaps you should test out the software first before you spend the time trying to get the recovery partition working.
    Just curious if you could use parted magic instead of ping ( never tried to do the above with anything so just a general question )

If you can do it with parted magic or anything else would be nice to know how ?

I presume you are trying to make a recovery partition where by you press a certain key combo at startup and it will re image the pc and join it to the domain ( similar way that you can setup using FOG when on a domain ) ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread