+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
O/S Deployment Thread, Creating master image in Hyper-V? in Technical; Has anyone tried to create a Win7 master image from a Hyper-V VM to be deployed to a physical machine? ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    39
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Creating master image in Hyper-V?

    Has anyone tried to create a Win7 master image from a Hyper-V VM to be deployed to a physical machine? It would be very useful just for the snapshot aspect (would save a world of bother if sysprep failed etc). I am having a go at it now but would appreciate any comments from anyone that has tried this before?

  2. #2
    ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Lancs
    Posts
    4,998
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 280 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    106
    It's worth the time to learn MDT to help you. This book
    Deployment Fundamentals, Vol. 3: Deploying Windows 7 Using System Center Configuration Manager 2007 eBook: Chris Nackers, Mikael Nyström, Johan Arwidmark: Amazon.co.uk: Books

    is well worth the purchase at that price as it will basically tell you how to do it from scratch with some good custom scripts etc. Don't worry about it talking about SCCM as that is just the later chapters, just concentrate on the parts about making the reference image.

  3. #3
    TechSupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,876
    Thank Post
    295
    Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    Not used HyperV but just created our W7 master image using VirtualBox and its worked really well. Allowed me to test things and creatdx snap shots at variuos points...just in case.

  4. #4
    steewy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Guildford
    Posts
    47
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    I would recommend to use VmWare...
    It's really reliable and you can manage the screenshot pretty easily.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    39
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    It's worth the time to learn MDT to help you. This book
    Deployment Fundamentals, Vol. 3: Deploying Windows 7 Using System Center Configuration Manager 2007 eBook: Chris Nackers, Mikael Nyström, Johan Arwidmark: Amazon.co.uk: Books

    is well worth the purchase at that price as it will basically tell you how to do it from scratch with some good custom scripts etc. Don't worry about it talking about SCCM as that is just the later chapters, just concentrate on the parts about making the reference image.
    We are already using MDT.

    Thanks for the pointers guys, I will give it a go and see what happens!

  6. #6
    MordyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In a computer
    Posts
    416
    Thank Post
    43
    Thanked 66 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    We create the image in virtual box as well..

  7. #7
    ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Lancs
    Posts
    4,998
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 280 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Squip View Post
    We are already using MDT.

    Thanks for the pointers guys, I will give it a go and see what happens!
    In that case the recipe in that book will help you use MDT to automate the build of a reference image. I have used hyper-v, VMware and virtual box to make images, they are all as good as each other pretty much but my only tip would be to avoid installing the tool sets on some of them and extract the drivers from them to use on your VM.

  8. #8
    TheScarfedOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    1,152
    Thank Post
    554
    Thanked 153 Times in 139 Posts
    Blog Entries
    78
    Rep Power
    80
    I used VMware.. and let the patching process keel it up to date.

  9. #9
    steewy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Guildford
    Posts
    47
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    In that case the recipe in that book will help you use MDT to automate the build of a reference image. I have used hyper-v, VMware and virtual box to make images, they are all as good as each other pretty much but my only tip would be to avoid installing the tool sets on some of them and extract the drivers from them to use on your VM.
    That is true ! I use VmWare and I never installed the Vm Tools to make sure that my image stays as clean as possible.

  10. #10
    mrstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    58
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Hi TechSupp / MordyT

    could you give more details as I'm trying to create an image in virtualbox,

    At the moment I've got win 7 installed in a vm, not on the domain and with guest additions,
    my plan is now to take a snapshot,
    sysprep,
    and capture.

    Do I need an unattend.xml created from WSIM ?
    I was just looking at a post from Michael where he uses mysysprep2
    Auto join domain using sysprep - Windows 7
    Last edited by mrstrong; 10th July 2013 at 12:02 PM.

  11. #11
    MordyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In a computer
    Posts
    416
    Thank Post
    43
    Thanked 66 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstrong View Post
    Hi TechSupp / MordyT

    could you give more details as I'm trying to create an image in virtualbox,

    At the moment I've got win 7 installed in a vm, not on the domain and with guest additions,
    my plan is now to take a snapshot,
    sysprep,
    and capture.

    Do I need an unattend.xml created from WSIM ?
    I was just looking at a post from Michael where he uses mysysprep2
    Auto join domain using sysprep - Windows 7
    I use mdt2012, so in my case, build VM, snapshot, capture (MDT has a script built in) revert and then I can update down the line, capture, repeat.

  12. #12
    TechSupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,876
    Thank Post
    295
    Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    Not gone the mdt route as I dont image PC's offen enough to warrant the time spent setting it up etc so I just use Clonezilla for our needs and it has been fine so far. First year I have used VirtualBox though to create the master image, been well worth it so far.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28th October 2011, 08:15 PM
  2. LNM Creating ghost image
    By Danielstaunton in forum Learning Network Manager
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16th September 2007, 05:33 PM
  3. Creating a report in OpenOffice for PyKota
    By Ric_ in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 9th August 2007, 05:22 PM
  4. Creating a form in frontpage2003
    By park_bench in forum Web Development
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th January 2007, 09:18 AM
  5. Images in Office 2003 documents
    By mattpant in forum Windows
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7th October 2005, 06:12 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •