+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Populating SCCM with OU computers in Technical; I've been tasked with pushing out a new package to staff machines and I've come to a little problem. We ...

Thank Post

Populating SCCM with OU computers

I've been tasked with pushing out a new package to staff machines and I've come to a little problem. We have already got SCCM 2007 setup and it has been configured but the guy that normally does it is away so I can't ask him.

Essentially groups have been setup that mimic our AD strutcure but I need to create a new collection and add the corresponding computers to it. The problem is our naming convention does not easily identify what the computer is, but we do have them grouped in AD into 1 OU. From what I can see all computers have been added to SCCM but now I want to populate a new collection with all the computers that are in a specific OU. If they already exist in the All Systems container can I add all computers into a new collection based on an AD OU grouping? If so how do I go about it?

Thank Post
    ok, just read @TheScarfedOne How to - System Centre Configuration Manager which makes a bit more sense, and now I can see that the discovery methods we've used scan the whole AD structure. My question is this, can I add an extra discovery to target an OU and will this just update the current computers with additional information, or will it remove the original target.

What I would like to do is add some OU targetting ontop of the whole AD discovery. Is this possible?

Thank Post
    Yes, you add them to a new collection based on which OU they reside in. First, double click on any machine and bring up the properities, scroll down to find "System OU Name" and check it has a value, if it does, good.

Now, on the collection, right click, select properties and goto the membership rules tab. You want to create a new query rule. Give it a name and click on Edit Query Statment. Goto the Criteria tab and click on the Star icon (if thats what it is...) to add new criteria. Set the items like this:

Criterion Type: Simple Value

Click the Select button and set the values like this:

Attribute Class: System Resource
    Alias as: <No Alias>
    Attribute: System OU Name

Click ok and set the remaining values as:

Operator: is equal to
    Value: domain.local/desktops (for example - this is not the DN of the OU)

Once you've set that, run Update Memberships on the collection and it should populate.

I've looked at 2012 when doing this, but I am pretty sure this aspect is identical in 2007

4. Thanks to adamf from:

penfold (3rd July 2013)

Thank Post
    @adamf thanks that worked, now I can start moving forward without too much hassle

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread