+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, G41 board fails to boot OSD in Technical; Having an issue booting one particular board here, it's a G41 chipset Gigabyte G41M-ES2L to be exact with an Atheros ...
    Thank Post

G41 board fails to boot OSD

Having an issue booting one particular board here, it's a G41 chipset Gigabyte G41M-ES2L to be exact with an Atheros network chip.

I've download the exact driver from gigabytes site and injected that into the boot image but whenever i PXE boot it goes through the grey loading bar part, then shows up the windows 8 load screen for abotu 3 seconds then flicks to the error message:
    "File: \Windows\System32\drivers\tcpip.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is
    missing, or corrupt."

I'm still able to image other boards fine, any ideas what this issue could be? Google appears useless on the matter.

Thank Post
    Have you tried recreating the boot image and updating the DP? I've never seen it crash on tcpip!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyrite View Post
    Have you tried recreating the boot image and updating the DP? I've never seen it crash on tcpip!
    Well i tried changing the scratch size from 32 to 64 (i don't actually know what that does) and it redeployed the same image. Maybe i will recreate it then and see what happens.

I'm using the default boot (x86) image that SP1 installs by the way, is that fine? (the windows 8 esque one)

Thank Post
    Are you sure it's an Atheros Chip?

For all of the revisions listed on the Gigabyte website, the driver for the LAN is listed as Realtek

Thank Post
    By the looks of it the scratch size is just the size of the RAM disk. The default image should be fine although I use the 64bit version as we deploy 64bit here. It could be the driver you injected. I have a batch of HP 8300 that will not PXE boot as the driver won't load. Had to give in and use a CD. (which just works!)

Thank Post
    Tom is right. It's a Realtek RTL8111C/E on that board.

Thank Post
    Tom is right. It's a Realtek RTL8111C/E on that board.
    Sorry you're right, I had a problem with two boards yesterday, the other was an atheros chip which is fixed now. Just me being a doughnut.

So i've redeployed the boot image again a moment ago, and updated the bios to the latest version (you never know) and still no go, will try remaking the boot image now

Thank Post
    Which OS are you trying to install mrbios?

Have you tried the drivers from the Realtek website? Realtek

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    Which OS are you trying to install mrbios?

Have you tried the drivers from the Realtek website? Realtek
    I've tried lots of different versions of the Realtek drivers, sadly no joy.

I just tried booting with the 64bit boot image with just realtek drivers injected and i got the same error but with a different file, this time pointing out ntsokrnl.sys o_O

I've just tried a different processor in that board as well after reading something about the NX flag not working on older processors (even though the one i tried was older, i just know that the processor in particular works in another board)

I'm trying to install windows 7 x64

Thank Post
    Interesting, I've tried injecting chipset drivers into the boot image, and now I'm getting ntfs.sys as the file error...........Didn't even know the chipset drivers could affect a boot image until now!

Thank Post
    Update on this now that i've resolved it!

I had two boards, same motherboard, ram, processor, hard drive on each. The first board had this error with the tcpip.sys etc coming up all the time, so i got a second PC exactly the same and tried that......that one got to "preparing network connections" after loading the boot image before restarting randomly.

This gave me a bit more to go on but sent me on a wild goose chase really, turns out that the network cable we were using was dodgy which was causing the issue with the second board. Once changing the network cable the second board images fine but the first still had the same issue, changed the ram and hey presto the board works. So it seems i've been incredibly unlucky to have faulty ram and a faulty network cable across two boards in one attempt of troubleshooting

Thank Post
    Next problem...

This board now gets to the password screen ok, but before showing me any task sequences just goes straight to a screen saying it'll reboot in 15 seconds with the error code 0x80004005 which seems like a very generic error. I can open the command prompt and see that my network adaptor has an address, I've run through various steps involving suggestions about the certificate (none of mine are blocked, and i've tried creating and importing a user certificate from my CA using the network access account) I'm stumped, any ideas anyone?

EDIT: I should mention that of the two identical boards, this time only one board sees this issue. The other board works fine and sees my task sequences.

EDIT2: NEVERMIND! Found the problem, time wasn't set right in the bios, i assume the PXE boot image uses the bios time for the machine time and as per domain time **** ups it was seeing a time difference too large to allow network connectivity
    Last edited by mrbios; 3rd July 2013 at 10:05 AM.

Thank Post
    SCCM has lovely error messages. Are you tearing your hair out yet?

Thank Post
    SCCM has lovely error messages. Are you tearing your hair out yet?
    I was Now I've got another error message: 0x80070570

Though luckily that was easily fixed as every google link directed me to simply running chkdsk on the drive. Now imaging at LAST!

4 separate issues mostly related to the specific board, hardware issues, network cable fault....not one issue was actually down to SCCM specifically really, a right pain!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information