+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, WDS & MDT with Drivers etc in Technical; I currently use WDS to push out my images to clients and have loads of drivers installed in the base ...
    Thank Post

WDS & MDT with Drivers etc

I currently use WDS to push out my images to clients and have loads of drivers installed in the base image from DriverPacks.net. This is then scripted to installed only the required drivers and delete the rest. I get a few drivers missing on the odd machine but the main problem is that it adds about 7GB to the image size.

So, this year I thought id have a go with MDT (never used it before)
    Im in the process of building the base image on a VM.
    I install nearly all my applications on the base image and set up as required etc.,

I've installed MDT2012 but not done anything with it yet. I have read through the guides on how to set it up etc, but im getting confused with the deployment side. How do WDS and MDT "link" together to push out the image and then run the desired task sequence automatically?

I hope to have 1 or 2 base images, and then have all my drivers available in MDT so that the machines will take the image and then MDT will push out only the required drivers to the machines...

Thank Post
    what happens is MDT basically controls the whole task sequence and deployment and the WDS side controls the network boot of the wim file.

To do this right click on your deployment share and click update deployment share. I prefer to do the "Completely regenerate" option rather than update. that will then make a boot image in the boot folder called something like LiteTouchPE_x64.wim and maybe an x86 version aswell if you dont untick it before hand

then in WDS you then import that boot image from the MDT.

To run everything fully automatic download the MDT print ready documentation from here this will help when editing the customsettings.ini file. I use the "Toolkit reference" that is in the documentation most as its super helpful.

you only really need 1 image for each OS you have. (i personally sysprep a base image with NOTHING in it but updates as .net updates take FOREVER to install )

for drivers you can use the drivergroup task sequence variable and set everything up correctly from there.
    This will help. I Use the "Large Scale" Part but pick whatever suits your environment really.

Hope that helps,
    Thanks
    Joe

3. Thanks to jugglerjoe from:

jamin100 (18th June 2013)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    As a plus from Fiza post. SkipWizard=YES can be used if you dont want to have to do anything however would recomend keeping something in there that will only allow IT staff to build them otherwise studewnts/teachers could accidentally trigger builds :P

Thank Post
    I don’t setup fully automatic builds either, afraid a machine will get imaged that shouldn’t. I skip everything but machine name and task sequence.

Thank Post
    i tend to leave the language page there as well to check its right

Thank Post
    we dont deploy language packs so we skip all but computername, applications, task sequence and connect to network share (so we have to put username and password so students couldn't do it)

I do have script to automate builds which parse a fully automated customsetting.ini tho these are for refresh and upgrade builds =]

Thank Post
    I see Im going to have to really look into this.
    Im just finishing by custom build so will save a snapshot and sysprep it etc and capture it in WDS so that I have an image to work on in the summer should I not be able to get MDT to work as i require...

Thank Post
    The deployment fundamentals series by Johan Arwidmark are good books for this. I make my reference image using a task sequence and scripts based on his book.

Thank Post
    Came across this MDT 2012 – Lite Touch Deployment Step by Step | Webbed Eye which was useful.
    Decided to make an image with office and updates on as there were 120 windows updates since win 7 SP1 and a lot of office 2013 updates.
    Last edited by maark; 19th June 2013 at 01:28 PM.

Thank Post
    maark, i know Office Updates are very annoying. i have alot of annoyances with updates. if the only reason you are syspreping with office in is for the office 2013 updates then a little tip. If you are using MDT 2012 which it looks like you are i guess you use the Office Customisation Tool. If you call that file something that begins with the number 1. I called ours "1 OCT.msp" then in that same "Updates" folder you can put in the office files and they will auto install after office when you install office. i found this to be easier for me rather then having to sysprep every month or so to put new updates in.
    To get the updates go to this website and search for "Office 2013 32-Bit" or "Office 2013 64-Bit" whichever you are using. and download all the updates you need then
    Hope that helps

As for jammin, backup plans are always good

13. Thanks to jugglerjoe from:

maark (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jugglerjoe View Post
    maark, i know Office Updates are very annoying. i have alot of annoyances with updates. if the only reason you are syspreping with office in is for the office 2013 updates then a little tip. If you are using MDT 2012 which it looks like you are i guess you use the Office Customisation Tool. If you call that file something that begins with the number 1. I called ours "1 OCT.msp" then in that same "Updates" folder you can put in the office files and they will auto install after office when you install office. i found this to be easier for me rather then having to sysprep every month or so to put new updates in.
    To get the updates go to this website and search for "Office 2013 32-Bit" or "Office 2013 64-Bit" whichever you are using. and download all the updates you need then
    Hope that helps

As for jammin, backup plans are always good
    the problem with doing that for office updates is the installer spends longer sat on applying updates than actually installing teh software imo office is best built into a base image since they dropped the mst transform option that 2003 had that deployed it easily

Thank Post
    Hmmm takes no longer then sysprep from what i have seen in my test. only twice i done the sysprep, my boss hates it xD he likes it all "fresh" :P
    I just looked at the MDT monitoring service and for most things a complete rebuild seems to average the hour mark. on newer hardware and vs around 40 mins to do the whole thing. That does the image, Office, Live Essentials Movie Maker and Photo Gallery and Kaspersky and then all MSI software from group policy etc obv :P

Thank Post
    If you have the time creating a task sequence that works unattended to do a build and capture will save you time when its time to update the images. Also you don't need to worry about the rearm count with sysprep.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    If you have the time creating a task sequence that works unattended to do a build and capture will save you time when its time to update the images. Also you don't need to worry about the rearm count with sysprep.
    easier imo tom build on a vm and just snapshot before you sysprep and capture

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast